Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Saha is out according to Liverpool Daily Post. Rodwell haven't seen that one. However let's not get too overly positive due to them having a load of players. For one they have possibly one of the most settled back 4's in this league.

Howard

Hibbert

Distin

Jagielka

Baines

Osman

Neville

Heitinga

Russian Chap

Beckford

Cahill

Still wouldn't expect a win against that team.

Yes. Terrifying CM of Heitinga, Neville and Cahill. I know Cahill is a goal threat but don't see much other contribution. Most of the Everton fans don't rate Billy Russian. Osman is decent player but not at the level of our wide players IMO. And Bent is significantly better than Beckford.

So whilst you are right to highlight the strength of their back 5, with the possible exception of Hibbert who I have always viewed as their weak link, I think our front 6 are a lot better than theirs, given their injury position.

No not the best midfield in the world and I would expect us to dominate the midfield..But whilst these guys are no where near their best pairing, they are both decent defenders and I expect them to sit just infront of the defence beating away our attacks as often as possible.

I think we'll dominate the defence, as long as Walker/Cuellar (whoever is at Rightback) can keep Baines out of the game we have a very good chance. I just hope we dont switch the wingers too early like vs Wolves, it's a game that will require us to keep chipping away at the defence until we get our way through because they will probably have 7 (inc Keeper) defensive-minded players on the pitch. Not a time where you would switch the wingers if we havent scored after 25 minutes again. (unless we do play this 4-3-3 a la England with the Roaming forwards/wingers behind Bent - which is what I think we should do.. but if we go 4-2-3-1 with 2 full wingers an 'In the hole' etc again, we can switch them too early)

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at their likely team we should win this.

Well I am glad you are so optimistic.

Would you have said the same ten minutes after the Wolves game?

I am going to the Everton game more in hope than great expectation that we will win.

we are more than capable of winning this if we play to our best, the problem is we havent played at our best nearly all season

4-4-2 it has to be. i would put albrighton the bench and play ash on wing with gabby up front with bent. play l young at lb if walkers fit if not play l young at rb and baker at lb and do a gamble and put warnock on the bench

i would bring in stan for nrc too

Rodwell has remarkably recovered for Saturday's game.

Saw that in the Echo. Even if he does play, he's not been that great lately. Still rather have him in their than a certain Dutchman though :|

OK, so my long experience as a Villa fan has developed an irrational optimism gene in me that always cuts in around now.

This has been a woeful season so far but surely

- the players have finally realised thay are in a relegation fight, so will start showlng a bit of ...fight (cf Gabby's comment a couple of weeks ago...We're not talking about relegation)

- Houllier will also have realised we are in a relegation fight so will start trying to focus the players on picking up points (his statements in the press in the past few days suggest he does recognise this)

- someone will have got the defence out on the training pitch to sort out how to defend set pieces

- the good performances of our England players in the last two internationals will carry through to this match

- Ashley Young will go back to the wing and be brilliant

- Everton will be so racked with injuries that we will overwhelm them

- we will get lucky.

3 points by tomorrow evening, please!

As we know football is not played on paper, you may laugh at the CM pairing but they'll definitely stick their foot on the ball.

No-one is laughing at them. They are both decent players. But they are both defenders and they are not Fellaini, Rodwell and Arteta. As such, they are weaker in CM.

Team for me should be

...................Friedel....................

Cueller..Collins..Dunne..L.Young

.....................NRC......................

........Makoon..........Delph..........

A.Young.......................Downing

...................Bent.......................