Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

We were 12th last week. We've dropped to 13th after Fulham's win.

And very few people thought MON was going to repeat top 6 again this season with that squad. Most thought top 8 which we are currently 5pts from.

Drama?

True. People look at the table and think 'God, we're going down!!', when in actual reality we are only a couple of wins away from Europe. People just need to chill out a bit and stop ranting

And it proves that you can sack a manager who is severely underperforming, and the guy who comes in can do significantly better with the same group of players

One major difference that you seem to be totally overlooking mate...Redknapp aint available.

We could actually sack Houllier and end up with a Ramos. People think sacking Houllier will suddenly make everyting rosey at the club. Sadly mistaken if you ask me. Our troubles run much deeper than a manager.

Stay. Then I'd back him a bit in the summer to bring in 'his' players and give him a few months. If we're really struggling in November/December then he has to go. But I don't think we will be.

Nothing like it SV. Totally different situation.

It's never going to be an identical situation. I don't think it's totally different though.

And it proves that you can sack a manager who is severely underperforming, and the guy who comes in can do significantly better with the same group of players. So to say it takes us back to square one is ridiculous. It could take us anywhere, depending on who we appoint.

(We could appoint Jol or Ranieri or whoever and climb up the table. Equally we could appoint Fat Sam and slide even further down it.)

Examples can be used to demonstrate how giving the manager time can be beneficial too. Moyes finished 17th one season and the next finished 4th, they were injury hit and the season never really got going but the next one everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet and they proved how good they are. Ferguson at United too.

The Moyes one has similarities to ours but obviously not the same. Ferguson's is not similar at all except that he required time.

Stay. Then I'd back him a bit in the summer to bring in 'his' players and give him a few months. If we're really struggling in November/December then he has to go. But I don't think we will be.

Exactly as I see it.

I want to "give him a chance"

If by then he hasn't turned it around then his "chance" will have been a gone, imo.

But even as one of his supporters, I really wish he'd stop putting his foot in his mouth and coming out with ill-advised stuff to turn the fans against him. It worries me that his relationship with the fans will get to a point where it won't matter what he does on the pitch. I think some fans have long-since reached that point.

According to this BOF - it's only 10% as it stands.

I think the problem GH has is that there are people looking to construe everything he says in a negative light and the British media for example, are having a field day at his expense.

What he says doesn't actually bother me but I think for his sake he needs to be a bit more careful.

What he says doesn't actually bother me but I think for his sake he needs to be a bit more careful.

This is pretty much it for me. Sometimes less can be more, so keep your mouth shut as much as possible GH, and let GMac (or others) handle more of the press side.

Well no it's not. 28% want him gone at the end of the season which usually means they just don't want to upset our season but want him gone at the earliest convenience.

Also, in a poll where one option is 'stay' which is 61%, you can assume (as is the case here) that all other options are different variations of 'go'.

And very few people thought MON was going to repeat top 6 again this season with that squad. Most thought top 8 which we are currently 5pts from.

Drama?

I think some people have lost perspective here.

We're quite capable of finishing top 8 in a very unsettled and difficult season. GH has been right up against it and although making a few mistakes along the way, I can see things are turning around. After all the injuries, problems with players attitudes, having 3 managers from a week prior to the season and after having all the negativity surrounding the club, we still have a good chance of top 8.

Many fans think Aston Villa has a right to be right up there, whatever the circumstances, when the reality is any club would struggle with whats happened this season.

Well no it's not. 28% want him gone at the end of the season which usually means they just don't want to upset our season but want him gone at the earliest convenience.

Also, in a poll where one option is 'stay' which is 61%, you can assume (as is the case here) that all other options are different variations of 'go'.

I see what you mean but I think that 'should go at the end of the season' doesn't quite incorporate the idea of being at the end of your tether with the man. I find it's more of a fence sitting option but leaning towards him going.

It's hard to say with that 28% and it'd be interesting to get it clarified. Either way though, the majority want him to stay.

Drama?

I think some people have lost perspective here.

We're quite capable of finishing top 8 in a very unsettled and difficult season. GH has been right up against it and although making a few mistakes along the way, I can see things are turning around. After all the injuries, problems with players attitudes, having 3 managers from a week prior to the season and after having all the negativity surrounding the club, we still have a good chance of top 8.

Many fans think Aston Villa has a right to be right up there, whatever the circumstances, when the reality is any club would struggle with whats happened this season.

Well said. Perspective has definitely been lost by alot of people

I think the problem GH has is that there are people looking to construe everything he says in a negative light and the British media for example, are having a field day at his expense

He isnt helped by fact his predecessor for some bizarre reason was loved by the media

He isnt helped by talking constant crap and shooting himself in the foot either likle team selection against Man City.

Its no suprise that few knives are out in the press given his inability not to talk gibberish and lets face it abysmal results this season.

Talk all the gibberish in the world if you are winning and succesful and no one would care . If you are not tho - don't.

Simple.

Im not sure this thread will stay open. But there is a very vocal minority of fans who continuously call for Houlliers head.

THIS IS NOT A HOULLIER THREAD.

But who would we have to replace him? It's all very well calling for somebody to be sacked. But who would we replace him?

There are certain criteria that both us and the board would need to fill.

They must be experienced in top flight football management. [board]

They must be able to get the best out of Youth Players/ Our Youth System.

They must be able to play the attractive attacking football we are beginning to play.

They must be able to command the respect of both senior and young players

They must be able to respect the club, it's fans, it's history and be able to take it forwards.

They must be shrewd in the transfer market and have good connections, preferably worldwide.

Have an accomplished Backroom team ready (and willing) to move in.

Be able to organise our lacklustre defence.

Be able to sort out the mess the club is in behind the scenes. Aka:

Get Rid of players on ridiculous wages/bad attitudes

Sort out our - now expanding - scouting network

Have a clear vision for the progression of the youth system, experience in how it can be improved or have staff who can move in to sort it out.(whilst ours is good, it will be increasingly important to have Excellent Youth set-ups in the coming years)

This is not an easy check-list for somebody to fill. Some of the names i hear bandied about are not suitable.. maybe some of them are from OUR point of view, giving a young manager a chance who is good at getting results and getting the best from a team (Lambert for instance). Would be accepted by many fans (not me personally). But would he meet the criteria above?

Whether a fan of him or not. Houllier has been proven to do all of the above. He may not be doing a great job result wise or he may have fallen out with some players (one who should never wear the shit, not Houlliers fault, Carew who had his career stunted by Hou at Lyon) etc. But the rest of the checklist. He fits. Atleast on paper.

Now not getting into the Houllier debate. Who else could we get - realistically - to meet these criteria?

Â