Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

The problem against Liverpool was the midfeld IIRC

They just couldn't keep or win the ball. OUr defence would feed our wingers, who woud take it so far then look for a pass to the midfield, who would lose it straight away and Liverpool would come back at us.

The defence wasn't good that night but that was because they had zero protection from the midfield all night.

That was an awful game.

He certainly prioritised the Liverpool fans over the Villa fans.

Liverpool was a big part of his life and he wanted to show his appreciation to their fans. Nothing wrong with that, what he did wrong was not acknowledging our fans.

But it was 3 months ago, and he apologised. Let's get over it!

He made a mistake, everyone does.

Im going to repeat myself,he stays for the same amount of time O'Neil had,then hes judged by his results.

Gotta disagree on that one.

I want Houllier to stay. In fact, I want him to stay till the end of next year. But after that time he has to be showing improvement in results. If not, get rid.

The last thing we want to do is end up where we were when MON left: Overpaid players playing outdated football and, as such, hit the glass ceiling of 6th.

Im going to repeat myself,he stays for the same amount of time O'Neil had,then hes judged by his results.

Gotta disagree on that one.

I want Houllier to stay. In fact, I want him to stay till the end of next year. But after that time he has to be showing improvement in results. If not, get rid.

The last thing we want to do is end up where we were when MON left: Overpaid players playing outdated football and, as such, hit the glass ceiling of 6th.

Agreed. Especially about the glass ceiling and the outdated football. Look at the way Barca played tonight. Ok, We will never be that good but thats the way football is played and I think Houllier is aiming for a similar style.

Give Houllier time.

Here's a novel idea: I'll actually post on the thread's topic instead of using 15 posts to repeat the same criticisms of Houllier that I've already posted about 50 other times on 3 or 4 different threads. Hope this approach doesn't confuse the serial whingers.

1. Houllier is not going to go now or in the summer, relegation or no relegation, nor should he. I personally think relegation is extremely unlikely. Defending of set-pieces aside, the quality of play has improved significantly over the last couple of months, though results have unfortunately improved only modestly. I think they're playing too well to go down. Wolves will be a critical game to counter the deflation after dropping the points at Bolton, however.

2. Houllier was not brought in with any expectation of keeping us in the top 6 this season. O'Neill would never have kept us in the top 6 this season, either, for that matter. Randy needed to change the approach to get the wage bill under control. He let MON spend pretty freely to bring in his players and negotiate wages for 4 years and he got close to CL but couldn't quite do it because he didn't spend wisely. Too little of the money he spent actually went to improving the quality of player on the pitch (for every Milner, Young and initially Carew, there was a Sidwell, Beye and Shorey). That shotgun approach was not sustainable and MON was unwilling/unable to try a different way when his fundng was cut. Houllier was willing to move forward by bringing along the youth and get rid of the vastly overpaid bench warmers in return for getting funds to spend selectively on key starters. This was always going to mean an initial step backward. Throw in the fact that he has a different vision of how the team should play and it's not too shocking that results and the quality of play (not always in lock-step with each other!) took a hit. I suspect Houllier made it clear to the board that this should be expected and I think they recognized and accepted this and committed to a plan they thought would give us a chance to challenge again in a year or two without continuing to hemorrhage cash.

3. I expect there will be a massive clearout in the summer, as has been predicted by any number of posters and journos. But it's not just so Houllier "can get in the players he wants." It's all to do with the wage bill and the fact that the youngsters have gotten blooded this season and can serve as equally good squad players as the expensive crap MON had, and in some cases fill starting roles. I think Houllier will be give some cash, but he will target the spending on key gaps that can't be filled yet by the youth. There will be fewer but bigger signings than MON had. With our excellent youth having experience, an improved starting 11, and a pre-season to make it all gel I think next season will look very good. Maybe still not top 6, but the following season it should come.

Abandoning this plan now or in the summer will just put us back at square one, whether you like Houllier or not. Letting him finish what he's started at least has the chance of getting us back up where we should be. It's true that staying the course with Ged COULD leave us in worse position than changing, but it's unlikely that switching now or in the summer is going to leave us in a better postion in a year's time. Regardless, I think the board went all in with the plan and aren't going to panic and bail out partway through when things are playing out roughly how they anticipated.

Here's a novel idea: I'll actually post on the thread's topic instead of using 15 posts to repeat the same criticisms of Houllier that I've already posted about 50 other times on 3 or 4 different threads. Hope this approach doesn't confuse the serial whingers.

Didn't bother to read beyond this unnecessary and pointlessly aggressive opening, I'm afraid. You can easily spot a prejudiced rant coming.

Didn't bother to read beyond this unnecessary and pointlessly aggressive opening, I'm afraid. You can easily spot a prejudiced rant coming.

You should have, it was a well written post which I agree with.

It was a fair post Briny, if a little rosy from my perspective.

We're going to have to wait and see one way or another. There are a few promising signs, but I am concerned with the gaffes; too many and he'll undermine himself.

Seconded

We're going to have to wait and see one way or another. There are a few promising signs, but I am concerned with the gaffes; too many and he'll undermine himself.

Aye, too many gaffes. Liverpool. Man city debacle.

Still, it could be worse. Despite the sometimes cringeworthy comments in the press I still prefer that over what we used to get with GT MkII. Could never understand what he was on about.

Seconded

Thirded and spot on

Don't know if this has been covered before but I feel his big weakness is dealing with the press. Journalists are gifted at steering conversations towards a juicy quote and Ged doesn't often disappoint. Just because he speaks English with fluency don't feel enough allowance is made.

Just think how many Politicians tie themselves up in knots after shooting themselves in the foot and all with the benefit of using their mother tongue.

He comes across to me as an honest and open man and I hope he is given time to show that his actions speak louder than words in any language.

As for the football, well all the signs are there that good times will return - but this time much more pleasing on the eye!

Up the Villa

Seconded

OK, so I read it, against my better judgment.

Full of the standard apologist stuff for Houllier, claiming the squad was poor, no-one expected top 6 this season, Houllier needs time, etc.

When will Houllier and his apologists accept he is the manager now and is responsible for what is happening at the club?

Seconded

Thirded and spot on

Fourthed :)

Seconded

OK, so I read it, against my better judgment.

Full of the standard apologist stuff for Houllier, claiming the squad was poor, no-one expected top 6 this season, Houllier needs time, etc.

When will Houllier and his apologists accept he is the manager now and is responsible for what is happening at the club?

Because you went into it with a closed mind. And weren't willing to take anything on board.

I don't think there is a single person on this board who thinks Houllier is blameless, or anywhere near blameless.

In fact nearly everyone admits Houllier should be doing better, and is to accept a good portion of blame for our current position. However people also think anyone defending Houllier thinks he's blameless.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

Â