Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

Yes its a lot of criteria. But its premiership management not just an ordinary job.

The board were looking for somebody that could do most of those.

They found it in Houllier.

The people that arent happy's common gripes/moans are:

He doesnt respect the club ( i think he does)

He fell out with players

He's old (younger than redknapp and SAF though)

He works part time as a clown (this is from ITK Marcavfc)

The defence is poor.

So i added criteria in for that.

Houllier has brought with him attractive football, a better attitude to the youth system from the previous management and a much better sensability in the transfer market. Not wanting to lose the good/great attributes Houllier has brought to the club.. would we not want the new guy to continue with those things? So i added those in too.

No most managers dont fit all the criteria. Hence why experience is key. Also only great managers would fill all those criteria... I have no problem with us having a great mananger. If a manager misses one or two of those points then he should be considered...if somebody fits all or the vast vast majority of them, he should be next in line to the job.

Mark. On your post.

Houllier is good with the youth, how can you say he is poor at that?

He has vast experience in top flight football. both in this country and others.

We have been playing nice, attractive, attacking football. Not saying we're barca but it is good.

He has been good in the transfer market.

On the defence I will concede he has been poor and his backroom team is not filled with the appropriate number/quality of coaches.

I disagree on respect of the club.. but i understand those who disagree with me on that

What about his other bad points such as his away record, losing leads continously, giving up on the FA cup, not bothering to fix things straight away, needing 24m to lift up the club when he wasn't able to do it himself, sitting bored in the dugout all time, hiring Gary Mcallister, not hiring a defensive coach.

They must be experienced in top flight football management.

They must be able to get the best out of Youth Players/ Our Youth System.

They must be able to play the attractive attacking football we are beginning to play. Is this a joke. There is nothing attractive about conceding goals aplenty and more importantly losing games. Houlliers brand of football throughout his career has been anything but attractive.

They must be able to command the respect of both senior and young players

They must be able to respect the club, it's fans, it's history and be able to take it forwards.

They must be shrewd in the transfer market and have good connections, preferably worldwide.

Have an accomplished Backroom team ready (and willing) to move in.

Be able to organise our lacklustre defence.

Of the above criterea that were listed the current manager fails in the ones highlighted in bold some he fails miserably in.

Only a handful of managers will actually attract players. SAF is respected throughout the game...would players take a huge wage cut just to play for him? I doubt it.

Has Houllier had the vision to get players that we never had of thought would play for Villa? Yes. Bent, Makoun, Walker Bradley were all, imo, unthinkable for actually pulling on a Villa shirt.

Why on earth would we have been unable to get any of those players?

What about his other bad points such as his away record, losing leads continously, giving up on the FA cup, not bothering to fix things straight away, needing 24m to lift up the club when he wasn't able to do it himself, sitting bored in the dugout all time, hiring Gary Mcallister, not hiring a defensive coach.

Houllier had such an influence didn't he when Young missed the pen against Bolton.

How didn't he fix things straight away?

Houllier spent £24m and lifted the club. MON spent £100m and didn't lift it like Houllier did.

Sitting down means nothing. You want him to jump up and down like a hyperactive child from the sideline instead?

What is wrong with Gary Mac?

They must be experienced in top flight football management.

They must be able to get the best out of Youth Players/ Our Youth System.

They must be able to play the attractive attacking football we are beginning to play. Is this a joke. There is nothing attractive about conceding goals aplenty and more importantly losing games. Houlliers brand of football throughout his career has been anything but attractive.

They must be able to command the respect of both senior and young players

They must be able to respect the club, it's fans, it's history and be able to take it forwards.

They must be shrewd in the transfer market and have good connections, preferably worldwide.

Have an accomplished Backroom team ready (and willing) to move in.

Be able to organise our lacklustre defence.

Of the above criterea that were listed the current manager fails in the ones highlighted in bold some he fails miserably in.

Only a handful of managers will actually attract players. SAF is respected throughout the game...would players take a huge wage cut just to play for him? I doubt it.

Has Houllier had the vision to get players that we never had of thought would play for Villa? Yes. Bent, Makoun, Walker Bradley were all, imo, unthinkable for actually pulling on a Villa shirt.

Why on earth would we have been unable to get any of those players?

We had as good a chance to sign Bent when Sunderland did. Did MON want him, no?

Did MON look abroad for a bargain like Makoun?

Did MON have the balls to take a player on loan that played a few good games for a championship club?

I know I'm comparing Houllier to MON but you can throw other managers in to the mix apart from MON and I seriously doubt that those players would be at Villa

I can't wait till next season, just so damn excited about what Houllier will do for us. Things have looked good already, we have just been unlucky with final results. Can't wait till it picks up though. And then we have the excitement of who's coming, who's going? Gonna be a brilliant summer...

I spend a good portion of my day thinking about all things Villa.

I love Aston Villa!!!! No matter what...

This for me as well i think we will improve an awful lot. Reminds me of when Redknapp took over at spurs this season to me. Season of struggle but no one really believes we'll go down then see the real improvement next year

Reminds you of Harry Redknapp, he actually won games and lead them to 7th after being bottom. This guy is doing the opposite.

Yep. Losing every game and taking us from 6th to bottom......

Is he not losing, is he taking us into a relegation battle? So I'd hardly call it like Harry Redknapp would you?

He is losing, he is also winning and he is also drawing. You just like to highlight the losing part moreso.

We are near a relegation battle but look outside the box and you will realise that there are a lot of teams in the same situation.

The fact we finished 6th the past 3 seasons is completely irrelevant to this season. If you take the attitude that we should be up in 6th because we have been previously, then you will sooner or later turn in to a Plop fan who all love their history and think they should be winning the league because they did it a few times a few years ago.

When have i said we should finish 6th? I have repeatedly said and accept we are in transition, however we should be doing a hell of alot better than we are i.e. not in a relegation fight. A lot of teams who have not spent 18Million on a striker, do not have near the same quality of players we have but we should think outside the box, do me a favour. As for turning into a Plop fan, we already have a manager who supports them and yes i was at Anfield when he was waving to The Kop.

I thought you knew about Houllier:

As part of his degree, he elected to spend a year in 1969–1970 in Liverpool as an Assistant at Alsop Comprehensive School,[2] and while there he attended his first Liverpool F.C. match on 16 September 1969 — a 10–0 thrashing of the Irish team, Dundalk. He also played for an amateur local side, Alsop

Can't believe people actually think he supports Liverpool. He probably supports Lyon.

He supports Liverpool, can't believe you don't actually know this. He has been a Liverpool fan since he was a student teacher in... Liverpool, in the late sixties. He was a teacher at Alsop High School which is about a mile away from Anfield (and a couple of hundred yards from Goodison)

Oh and if he were to support a local team from France it would probably be Lens as that is much closer to his home town. (alternative Lille which is also close by and in the same region)

Houllier had such an influence didn't he when Young missed the pen against Bolton.

Houllier spent £24m and lifted the club. MON spent £100m and didn't lift it like Houllier did.

Sitting down means nothing. You want him to jump up and down like a hyperactive child from the sideline instead?

He could have allowed someone else to take it or said to Young to not be so predictable in his spot kicks. But even still, that's like saying Houllier didn't have any influence against Blackburn when Young scored that penalty. Honestly, if I see Young take the next penalty again, you can note down as another bad point of Houllier that he hasn't got any power or respect from the players.

When did MON actually drag us down to the bottom 3 that the club needed lifting? In his first season, we just drew a lot. There wasn't really any danger of us going down in his first season in charge and never spent that much in that time.

I would rather see a manager point orders on the touchline when players make mistakes like all sucessful managers tend to do. Ferguson who's years older than him still does it.

Gary has a terrible CV in management of lower leagues and should never be anywhere near the Premier League.

He could have allowed someone else to take it or said to Young to not be so predictable in his spot kicks. But even still, that's like saying Houllier didn't have any influence against Blackburn when Young scored that penalty. Honestly, if I see Young take the next penalty again, you can note down as another bad point of Houllier that he hasn't got any power or respect from the players.

When did MON actually drag us down to the bottom 3 that the club needed lifting? In his first season, we just drew a lot. There wasn't really any danger of us going down in his first season in charge and never spent that much in that time.

I would rather see a manager point orders on the touchline when players make mistakes like all sucessful managers tend to do. Ferguson who's years older than him still does it.

Gary has a terrible CV in management of lower leagues and should never be anywhere near the Premier League.

So you want a manager to tell a player where to put the pen? Rubbish. Young is the pen taker. He has scored in the past. I never credit Houllier with an assist when Young scored from the spot and therefore would never blame Houllier when Young missed. Young missed. Youngs fault. End of.

So if a club is doing well, a new signing can not give them an extra boost. Do you think the fans and players weren't excited to see C Ronaldo turn up at Real Madrid?

A CV means nothing though, remember Houller won lots at Liverpool but people don't like him here because he has not been able to emulate anywhere near what he has been able to do elsewhere.

Â