Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I just think he's probably relishing the chance to prove the manager and the club wrong. Putting him in the "bomb squad" was a stupid idea.

If his motivation to play well was created by the club and manager, and we're benefiting from it, why was it a stupid idea? He was putting in some awful performances when he got dropped.

Apart from when he played for Scotland but, hey, let's never question the infinite wisdom of Saint Lambert, eh?

There is an argument to be had that it wasn't Lambert who made the bomb squad, so Lexicon isn't really defending him,

It's hard to argue that his time out of the team hasn't benefited his club form.

I don't believe that it was some masterstroke by Lambert or whoever demanded the bomb squad. But I think it's worked.

Give him the armband!

Not a bad shout!

An improvement on Gabby any day of the week!

Been saying this for a while myself. C'ptn Hutt.

I'd rather Captain Pugwash than Captain Gabby!

• Like 1

It's hard to argue that his time out of the team hasn't benefited his club form.

It's hard to argue because no-one knows how he would have played, had he been given a chance in Lambert's first season. But it's likely, in my opinion, that we could have saved some money on Lowton (and probably Bacuna, if he was bought to play at right-back) if Hutton had been given a chance and played under a manager that isn't Alex McLeish.
  • Like 1

I just think he's probably relishing the chance to prove the manager and the club wrong. Putting him in the "bomb squad" was a stupid idea.

If his motivation to play well was created by the club and manager, and we're benefiting from it, why was it a stupid idea? He was putting in some awful performances when he got dropped.

Apart from when he played for Scotland but, hey, let's never question the infinite wisdom of Saint Lambert, eh?

There is an argument to be had that it wasn't Lambert who made the bomb squad, so Lexicon isn't really defending him,

I don't believe that it was some masterstroke by Lambert or whoever demanded the bomb squad. But I think it's worked.

This is how I see the Hutton (and wider bomb squad situation).

1) Lerner and Faulkner ordered Lambert to drop Hutton (and the others).  Lambert hadn't even had the chance to see him in action in pre-season properly before he was left out of the USA trip.  I attach no blame to Lambert at all here, he was just following orders.

2) Hutton whilst never being the greatest full back in the world, probably suffered from the negative association of being a McLeish signing.  He was never as bad as made out.

3) The decision to drop him and never give him a chance was terrible, as it effectively devalued him to £nil, and made sure that we paid his salary for most of the time he wasn't getting a look in.

4) Since he's come back, he's been a good right back.  I don't think he's any better or worse than before, he just looks better now than he did 2 years ago because: a) the rest of the team is mostly rubbish, and B) he's much better than Matthew Lowton who's absolute cack.

Was he much much worse under McLeish or was it that we'd just finished 6th and 9th and expected more?

I also thought he was poor during mcleish's year but I'm starting to think I may have had this opinion because of McLeish and how much the team had dropped over a couple of years.

This is how I see the Hutton (and wider bomb squad situation).

1) Lerner and Faulkner ordered Lambert to drop Hutton (and the others).  Lambert hadn't even had the chance to see him in action in pre-season properly before he was left out of the USA trip.  I attach no blame to Lambert at all here, he was just following orders.

2) Hutton whilst never being the greatest full back in the world, probably suffered from the negative association of being a McLeish signing.  He was never as bad as made out.

3) The decision to drop him and never give him a chance was terrible, as it effectively devalued him to £nil, and made sure that we paid his salary for most of the time he wasn't getting a look in.

4) Since he's come back, he's been a good right back.  I don't think he's any better or worse than before, he just looks better now than he did 2 years ago because: a) the rest of the team is mostly rubbish, and B) he's much better than Matthew Lowton who's absolute cack.

I'd agree with all of that apart from the last point.

He absolutely is playing better than he was when he played under McLeish. Doesn't matter what you think about Lowton, or what the contributing factors are, Hutton is performing considerably better than he was previously.

Give him the armband!

Not a bad shout!

An improvement on Gabby any day of the week!

Been saying this for a while myself. C'ptn Hutt.
What's the value in making him captain - it puts more pressure on the player. I'd much rather Hutton just carry on as he is currently doing. Quietly going about his business in the right way and keeping his head down and staying focused.

Love how he is never shirking any challenge and gives his all. He's also shown quite a calm head at times when the game needs to be slowed down and some composure is needed. He's perhaps our most consistent player so far this season and long may it continue.

Edited by roonst83

Was he much much worse under McLeish or was it that we'd just finished 6th and 9th and expected more?

I also thought he was poor during mcleish's year but I'm starting to think I may have had this opinion because of McLeish and how much the team had dropped over a couple of years.

I never thought he was as bad as many made out, and I said as much. He was still decent going forward, but it was a just his rash challenges that people seemed to concentrate on.
  • Like 1

Have to say all this talk about Hutton performing better is making me nervous. An own goal or catastrophic defensive error against Leicester is coming up to be sure.

Never mind our talk. Just watch Hutton play. Not going to happen.

I never thought he was as bad as many made out, and I said as much. He was still decent going forward, but it was a just his rash challenges that people seemed to concentrate on.

As a full back, you are expected to get stuck on. Why can't the clowns see this?

Have to say all this talk about Hutton performing better is making me nervous. An own goal or catastrophic defensive error against Leicester is coming up to be sure.

Almost like you wish it to happen.
Um no. There is no rational way that my comments could be taken as wishing it to happen. More, let's stop talking up Hutton's performance or something bad will happen. Sympathetic magic...joke...that sort of thing.

(Sigh)

To this day, I cannot see any benefit in forming the so called "bomb squad".

I appreciate the need to bring the wage structure down to a manageable figure but to just not play someone because he earns x amount is a ridiculous notion. Sell a player or loan him out so that the other team at least contribute to a players wages is acceptable but to just leave him to rot purely because of his salary is nonsense.

There were times in that first Lambert season when a bit of experience may have helped (around the time of the Chelsea 8-0 springs to mind). Not sure if Hutton was around then or loaned out but he could have been used if available during that woeful run.

West Brom must be kicking themselves for not meeting Villas asking price in the summer-To think we were prepared to let him go as recently as the summer scares me to death.

To this day, I cannot see any benefit in forming the so called "bomb squad".

I appreciate the need to bring the wage structure down to a manageable figure but to just not play someone because he earns x amount is a ridiculous notion. Sell a player or loan him out so that the other team at least contribute to a players wages is acceptable but to just leave him to rot purely because of his salary is nonsense.

There were times in that first Lambert season when a bit of experience may have helped (around the time of the Chelsea 8-0 springs to mind). Not sure if Hutton was around then or loaned out but he could have been used if available during that woeful run.

West Brom must be kicking themselves for not meeting Villas asking price in the summer-To think we were prepared to let him go as recently as the summer scares me to death.

This is what happens when you have people running the club who know **** all about football.

I think they must have thought the bomb squad players  (an agents) would want football elsewhere and not sit on there arses for 50+k a week. Not slating Lambert for this, but you may have thought, if it was not Lambert who chose to have the bomb squad, you may have thought he would have known football players a little better and advised Lerner and co. what would happen in advance. I mean we all new it would end in tears. One of the worst decisions in football to me and im suprised the media didn't make more of it.

Â