Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Matt Lowton is as good at crossing a ball from deep as anyone else in the PL.

That said, he cannot let that be his only party piece. He's what? 24 now? He still doesn't look that athletic to me and isn't the quickest. He's got a lot of hard work to do before he's going to be classed as a really good full back.

If he can perform like he did against Sunderland 18 months ago, he'll be in the England squad before long. Shame he never really built on that 10/10 performance.

Full backs must be able to defend. Lowton and Bennett have nowhere near the tackling ability of Hutton and Cissokho, or Baker for that matter. Our earlier good spell was based around no nonsense, good old-fashioned defending. That is what we need to get back to.

Edited by George Curtis
  • Like 1

Full backs must be able to defend. Lowton and Bennett have nowhere near the tackling ability of Hutton and Cissokho, or Baker for that matter. Our earlier good spell was based around no nonsense, good old-fashioned defending. That is what we need to get back to.

Pretty much. The two youngsters are far too lightweight as well, which is noticeable. If I was a attacker raiding down our wings, I know which pair I'd rather be facing.

• Like 2

Pretty much. The two youngsters are far too lightweight as well, which is noticeable. If I was a attacker raiding down our wings, I know which pair I'd rather be facing.

Good point.

Hutton was at fault for the Everton third goal. Gave the ball back to them then turned around while they took a quick free kick. Cardinal sin. Lowton has tons more quality on the ball than Hutton and crosses and passes better and these days a modern fullback is so much more than just a defender. With Hutton we still concede goals but don't create chances with Lowton we concede goals but he will always create one or two great chances a match , like on Sunday when he created that one for Benteke which he should have scored from.

Edited by PaulC

Hutton was at fault for the Everton third goal. Gave the ball back to them then turned around while they took a quick free kick. Cardinal sin. Lowton has tons more quality on the ball than Hutton and crosses and passes better and these days a modern fullback is so much more than just a defender. With Hutton we still concede goals but don't create chances with Lowton we concede goals but he will always create one or two great chances a match , like on Sunday when he created that one for Benteke which he should have scored from.

Hutton has made plenty of runs down the wing and put decent crosses in since his reintroduction. As another poster put 'which one would you sooner face?' I never stray from the belief that a good, hard tackle early in the game puts many a player off from taking on a full back. That is what Hutton does.

I think you've got this one wrong Paul. A full back should know how to take part in the attack, yes. However, he should first know how to defend, and do it well. Lowton doesn't.

He crosses towards Benteke alright, and against Spurs was allowed to do it multiple times. It looked pretty, but that's about it.

Hutton on the other hand has arguably been one of our best, and most consistent, players so far.

Edited by AVTuco

I think you've got this one wrong Paul. A full back should know how to take part in the attack, yes. However, he should first know how to defend, and do it well. Lowton doesn't.

He crosses towards Benteke alright, and against Spurs was allowed to do it multiple times. It looked pretty, but that's about it.

Hutton on the other hand has arguably been one of our best, and most consistent, players so far.

Yes fair enough, but being one of best and consistent players this season doesn't mean a lot really. Hutton coming back will not alter the results. 

• Like 1

Yes fair enough, but being one of best and consistent players this season doesn't mean a lot really. Hutton coming back will not alter the results.

No, by itself it won't. Maybe it's not really his job though.

I think it might, your midfield doesn't look back as often which allows them to feel more comfrotable in attack, central defenders aren't concerned with covering defensive gaps and attackers don't need to track back as much/as far. 

I think Hutton brought calmness to our attack and defence, plus he seems to be quite decent at retaining possession and allowing others to find space, his strength helps a lot in that respect.

• 2 weeks later...
Â