Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

....but you have to give credit,when it's due.

All you can do, is play well and when you do it regularly, you gain recognition.

He like others have played in an inexperienced team, when he has a bit of experience next to him his composure grows.

Let's just see what happens over the coming months.....let's not write him off just yet.

I think with that extra bit of experience in the side a few of the younger players may get re-appraised by the fans and a few changed opinions may emerge.

• Like 2

To be honest,i feared the worst when i saw he was playing instead of Vlarr, but fair play to him,he played really well and deserved the MOM award. Maybe Keano has been working with him at how to and when to tackle 

I think with Baker so much depends on who he is playing with, both at full back and his CB partner. He and Clark together were an accident waiting to happen. Even with Vlaar in the side he was constantly covering for Luna's laughable positioning. Now we have much better fullbacks it is easier to see his strengths and he so much better. We now have a solid back four rather than a lash up of poor players or players playing out of position.

On the basis if his performance on Saturday he is probably challenging Okore for the number three slot. It reminds me a little of the situation we had with Curtis Davies. He was woeful when we signed him but then forged a very impressive partnership with Laursen until the latter was injured. It was then Davies and Zat Knight and the latter looked better and neither were good. Once he went to Blues and then more so at Hull as he matured we started to see the real potential he has. Sadly MON squandered £10m on a unproven player (whilst flogging Cahill for little more than half that)

The comparison is if Baker can play with a quality CB, get games under his belt and build his experience and mature we may actually have a PL grade centre back on our hands which is maybe why Lambert has persisted with him.

The flip side of that is that it probably suggests that Clark has no real future at the club which is a shame although I always saw him as a DM rather than CB as he's technically a good footballer. We shall see.

No one who's pointed out that he made the European team of the week? He did, and I think that's quite an achievement. Well done, young boy!

I was one of those who was a bit worried when I saw that he was about to replace Vlaar against liverpool, but he showed me how little I know, really. Keep the good work up. Another tough weekend is ahead of him.

Good game against pool still 4th choice for me though.

I'm really struggling to see why Okore would be a better choice right now. 

What's wrong with Okore ?

He looked way off the pace in pre-season, picked up a knock, played poorly for Denmark and hasn't been selected by Lambert. Meanwhile, Baker made (apparently) The European Team Of The Week, whatever that is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one genuinely concerned about baker's health? He literally gets a head injury every game, surely that's going to shorten his career and have knock on effects

It probably will. 

The dangers of concussions and 'post-concussion syndrome' are now well know, he's taking far to many head injuries for my liking. 

Â