The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

My question General is, can I give you some advice?

My advice is for the club to make a statement ASAP if you are NOT interested in considering Alex McLeish for the Villa manager's job. This would save a lot of moaning and negativity towards the club and board inparticular.

UTV

General I really hope those involved in the appointment of our new manager realise what a catastrophic mistake it would be to appoint Mcleish. Yes obviously the fact that he managed our fiercest rivals is part of it but he's negative tactics and relegation from the Premier League show he is not we are looking for.

Please someone from the club issue a statement and put all our minds at rest, because until this is dealt with I doubt another season ticket will be sold.

Hiring McLeish would be the equivalent to a rock climber scaling the Rocky Mountains with no safety harness.

It would be suicide for both Randy Lerner and the Board as a whole. I still have faith that, between you, a couple of brain cells are present.

General,

As with most Villa fans, I really do appreciate you coming on here and giving us an insight into the goings on at Villa Park.

I have a few questions for you, with regards to whats happened over the last few months:

1) The Sponsorship deal with FX Pro seems to have ended rather abruptly, what was the reasoning behind this, was it a Villa led decision? I believe there was 2 years left on the contract, if it was ended by FX Pro, are Villa to be compensated or was there a get out clause (I understand this could be deemed as something the fans dont need to know and a private issue, but I am quite interested in the business aspect of the club!)

2) New Kit: With a lot of fans seemingly put about by the issues over the last few months, GH's departure, no new sponsor, no firm release date of kits, would it not be wise of the PR department to relase the base design of the kit (obviously without the sponsorship), just to show the fans that their is some progress. A small thing like this could possibly determine whether someone who is umming and ahhing about whether they should renew their season ticket to go ahead and renew it, as it shows the club are being pro-active (something that i know a few people have mentioned on here that the club are not).

3) Stewart Downing: as it seems that Ashley Young is being sold, what is the clubs stance with Stewart Downing. Liverpool are said to be keen, but I would consider them as direct competion, as they are a big club out of europe looking to get back in. Do we have a policy in place to avoid selling our better players to these types of club?

4)Alex Mcleish: I can see a lot of Villa fans are getting a bit aggitated about the suggestion of him joining us as manager, and i know the decision will be questioned within the media and on the terraces, how would AVFC go about assuring fans that this would be the right decision for the club?

Any response would be appreciated, especially at this busy time for yourself.

Thanks

General Krulak here:

I am not sure where our "expert Fans" get their information on how to go about picking a Manager in a week...but I would sure like to know. A great many things go into the equation....advice from people in the "business", discussions with agents and people with access, research on everything from record of success (history) to connectivity with the players in the dressing room to effective use of personnel to compatability with Owner and people at the Club, to many, many, other things. To some fans it seems like just a simple act....and more importantly, a "signal" about something called "ambition." As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another....forget about whether that Manager "fits" with the Club.

Arsenal once had a manager named George Graham who was from Scotland. His team consisted of a majority English players.. They now have a french manager in Arsene Wenger, who has a team of mainly continental players- DID HE FIT THE CLUB WHEN HE TOOK OVER??

Arsenal are the "only" team in the top 6 that have consistantly stayed at the top level in the Premiership whilst making a profit on their net spend on player transfers.. All because the chairman took a gamble on a man that "may not fit" and who "had never managed in England" before. A manager that bought his vision into the club.

By the way, one manager does send out the bigger "ambition" signal than another, depending on who we appoint.. Do you think the next young Fabregas is going to know who the hell Owen Coyle is, over Rijkaard for example? Lets say you are a talented 18 yr old player at Ajax or Barcelona that fancies joining the Premiership. Who's football would you rather sign for , Coyle or Rijkaard? Which manager sends out the message to Europe that we mean business?

Hi General.

Please can you tell me if Randy's desire for integrity is consistent. I only say this because it is clear why he was put off signing Hughes, and rightly so in my opinion. However I just wanted to point out that McLeish quit his post today via email. Surely not a great way to act.

(That is of course unless he is off to Bolton/Everton and one of their manager's is heading our way for the necessary compensation)

Appointing McLeish as manager at Villa will result in even less fans at matches than there were this season, and it will result in banners hanging from the Holte End calling for Randy Lerner to go. I presume Randy, the Board and yourself realise this and therefore are not considering appointing McLeish as manager.

Please NO! As a lifelong Villa fan I would urge the Board NOT to employ Alex McLeish as Villa manager because the club will be going backwards and you'll have a fan backlash like you've never seen before.

Please don't remove these mods, I and I'm guessing others would also like General Krulak to see what some of the journalists who the club let into our press conferences are saying about Aston Villa right now

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

What a shambles at Villa. A total and utter disgrace. Lerner and Faulkner should hang their heads in shame.

SunDeanScoggins Dean Scoggins

Silence at VP deafening. No response from officials to calls or messages. They are not exactly distancing themselves from this #avfc #bcfc

MattLawExpress Matt Law

@Neil_Moxley_DM Spot on mate - Faulkner should go. So glad you highlighted it

AndySkybet Andy Clarke

@Neil_Moxley_DM We've heard nothing from #avfc all week, why would this change now?

I think the silence has finally pushed some of them over the edge General, keep up the good work.

Hi General, newbie here - just want to say keep up the good work, the media are FURIOUS!, I hope we continue to treat them like this in future, in Randy I trust.

In a kit related question, with PSV Eindhoven releasing their away kit over in Holland, would our kit be a similar checkered design?

Sir

I completely understand and respect the fact that the club chooses to conduct its business in private and not through the media. Indeed, it has been the source of much pride that on more than one occasion, clubs have complimented the board on the professionalism and integrity of its dealings with them.

However, I do think when this manager search is concluded, hopefully in a positive way for all interested parties, the club reviews its whole PR approach. I am not suggesting that the club changes the way it conducts business but I do think we are missing a trick with our management of the media. I cannot recall a time when ANY club has had so much negativity aimed at it. I do not subscribe to the view that they are reacting to a wall of silence; it is not as simple as that. Nor do I believe that the media is being deliberately vindictive. But as a key stakeholder, it is the job of our PR people to manage communications between the press and the club. At the moment this looks like it is falling short by some way which is causing untold reputational damage to our brand.

Thanks for continuing to post General, even in these uncertain times.

General,

Have we sorted out a sponsor for next season yet? Also, what ratio of season-ticket holders for the new season are from a 3 mile radius of Villa Park? And a one-mile radius?

Dear General,

Thank you for your post.

Keep up the silence and the wisdom.

40,000 people could not reach a consensus in any Utopia.

The media are very uncool.

Most Villans I know, and I know a lot of sensible ones, are very grateful to have Randy Lerner and the team.

Personally I couldn't care less about the new shirts, and I am only interested in the new sponsor if we are currently losing income for the club. As for Stewart Downing, all those people who are now so worried about the possibilty of him leaving, why weren't they singing his name all season?

Of course I hope he stays, and of course I hope Moyes is our new manager, and of course if both happened I'd run a mile squealing with delight. But I am NOT going to let YOU know that; just let you get on with your job.

Bolg :winkold:

General - If you haven't already considered him please take a look at Brighton's manager Gus Poyet.

He has experience as a player with Chelsea and Tottenham, was then first team coach with Totenham and has got Brighton promotion in his first season as Manager. He is perhaps more of a gamble than some of the other more recognised names out there but many in football expect him to be a top manager of a top club in the very near future

Good luck with your search for the right man - whoever you choose will get my full support

General the way the media are slating the club at the moment is disgusting as well as those highlighted by Cracker1234 we should maybe think about the way Sky Sports News are allowed to attend press conferences etc at VP some of the lies coming from them are shocking.

These so called journalists are dragging our great clubs name in the mud and making us look small time!

Surely it's time for the fight back?