The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Fantastic post general, i personally dont care how long it takes and ive said before ive got faith in the board to appoint the right man. Im sure you know were not all as stupid as some of the fans and how they've been acting the past week.

UTV!

A great many things go into the equation....advice from people in the "business", discussions with agents and people with access, research on everything from record of success (history) to connectivity with the players in the dressing room to effective use of personnel to compatability with Owner and people at the Club, to many, many, other things.

Where was Roberto Martinez's record of success, out of interest?

General

It is much appreciated that you have decided to post in reply to the 'Managergate' frenzy that has broken out. Ultimately, only time will tell based on the appointment made and the 'success' the new man brings. Your list of considerations for the qualities required is extensive, but I think there are a few (many?) fans wondering how Fulham managed to appoint Martin Jol so quickly after their previous incumbent ostensibly walked out at short notice?

Best regards General and Villa forever!

Great post General.

Hope some of the press read it, in between writing the nonsense they invent about the club, somehow I very much doubt they'll bother though,

so I'm not holding my breath.

You ask for 'patience' as if we're being unreasonable?

It doesn't help when coupled with waiting for new sponsors (still no word), waiting for new shirt (still no word and past history) and having to wait two months even when Houllier took over. We do a lot of waiting General and I don't appreciate the suggestion we're being impatient.

How many teams in the Premiership are without sponsors?

How many teams in the Premiership are without a manager?

How many teams in the Premiership are without a bloomin shirt?

If you want us to give the board time then give us something else to focus on. New shirt, sponsors etc - show us SOMETHING is happening at our club. It is more than reasonable to accuse the club of dithering when we've known we wouldn't have sponsors for FOUR months, a manager for at least TWO months and waited for last seasons shirt for about SIX months.

Show me one other team ALL this happens to and then perhaps you can infer that we're being 'impatient' rather than displaying an overall ineptness over the last 12 months.

Hiii General :)

Quick question really (not 100% sure this post is allowed) - how come the Ashley Young situation is already in motion even though we do not have a manager in place - is it not possible to put this on hold because the new man we bring in could be someone that Ashley may want to play under and continue to progress with Villa?

It makes me a little uneasy that we are doing things to the squad without the manager in place. Couldn't this have an effect on potential targets? (managers)

Thank you General for bringing some sanity and prespective to this forum. As always you're absolutely correct, Marks and Spencer should do balti pies.

General,

Thanks for the post even when you don't have to. The world is full of instant gratification and after monitoring these boardsf or the last week or so it seems we have many fans can't live without it. I look forward to the day the manager is announced and I know Randy will do what he believes is best for the club, HIS club. We are the fans and keep the club a live but I doubt Randy would risk his business by rushing into a poor decision. I backed his decision with GH and will back whoever the new manager is. I just pray everyone gives him time to get it done his way.

UTV.

General

Thanks for letting us know what's going on. There is a lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth going on, but I suspect that, in the end, we Villa fans are not too much different from the rest. We just want to see the club moving forward again with the right man at the helm. While we all have different ideas of who that man should be, personally I accept that the Board is doing what it feels it needs to do to make a decision not just for the coming season, but for the years ahead.

Oh and ditto to what Jezza said. Come and have a spell Down Under and bring the lads with you. I'm available for a kick in the park any time :)

Thank you Sir, for an oasis of sanity in the turbulent sea of media driven madness and conjecture

On one thing I disagree - Getting a new manager is as easy as getting a Balti pie, it's getting the right manager that the hard part

General,

We have no manager. We have no recognised goalkeeper. We are selling our best player for the third season running, selling him without a manager for the second season running.

We have no sponsor and the replica kit still hasn't been show let alone for sale.

Can you understand how it can loot like the club is dithering? Once again there is a lot more things to do before the start of pre-season and we don't want another season ruined before it's started. You have mentioned the club moto 'prepared' - that's something we certainly are not.

P.s what's your favourite type of monkey?

If this thread is to remain open for the benefit of supporters and the club posters MUST adhere to the thread rules:

[*:ea92531500]This thread is for Q&A, the raising of issues and the passing of info two ways ONLY.
    [*:ea92531500]It is NOT for discussions or banter between posters.
    [*:ea92531500]No repeat questions
    [*:ea92531500]Posts which direct abuse or invective against anyone are not permitted and will be deleted
    [*:ea92531500]As will posts consisting solely of fawning praise.
    [*:ea92531500]Understand that comments made on the thread either by Fans or Gen. K are "fair game" to the media and therefore understand that as this is an "open site" the club may wish to avoid certain issues as a result.

.and we will NOT seek a Manager who simply gets a thumbs-up from the Fans.

Will the board not consider the fans in their thoughts at all? While there are some fans who shout a name without properly researching, there are a lot of knowledgable fans who do make very good points when discussing manager prospects. Some of us follow football constantly, not just Villa, but watch all sorts of football from around the country and world, and liked to think we have balanced opinions on certain candidates.

Also do you think it would be unwise for the board to choose an extremely unpopular manager with the fans? I.e McCliesh and McClaren. It wouldn't take a lot for big portions of the crowds to get on their back during the season. Also appointing McCliesh would have an extremely negative effect on the club, fans, and the fans attitude to the board I'd imagine.

Thanks General for your update

Just a quick question, who are the experts that you refer too?

I trust you guys to take us forward and I'm assured you wouldn't do anything stupid I.e. Make McCleish our manager from our bitter, hated, low life, scumbag neighbours...no one (including the experts) surely would underestimate the hatred we have for that club and anything or anyone connected with it I.e. Pittsburg is relatively loved by the browns fans compared to Villa and them

Anyway, again thanks for keeping us in the loop

General, I appreciate that you will not employ someone who gets the thumbs up from the fans, as this is almost impossible. However, by the same token you must not employ someone when 99% of fans give an absolute thumbs down. I am talking about Mcleish, and if him resigning has anything to do with the Villa job, then the board would have made an absolutely monumental mis-judgement. He will not be accepted because of his negative football, because of his history of relegating teams, and most of all because of his Blue past.

We will be the laughing stock of Birmingham once again if this happens.

General,

Just in case you, Randy and co are not aware of just how un-popular the appointment of Alex McLeish would be, have a look over at the manager thread, I trust you and the board are not stupid so I personally do not think you would appoint a failed Birmingham City manager.

General,

Do not I repeat DO NOT appoint McLeish as our manager, if you thought the reception to the possibility of appointing McClaren was bad, you have seen nothing yet. If that prat took charge at our club, the board's support would really be at an all time low.

Please don't do something silly now!

Hi General,

I've been a season ticket holder for so many years now I've lost count. I'm also a member of the away scheme and have been for ages inc all the dark days with DOL and Graham Taylor. I travel all over to watch my beloved Villa and wont have a word said... However If Alex McLeish is appointed our new manger I will return my season ticket that I've just renewed for another year and will not step foot in Villa park until the Randy Lerner era has ended !!

I trust you'll do right by us General because If this appointment were to happen your finished in the eyes of 99% of Villa fans.