The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

At what point do you and the board disregard the Villa fans views?

Are AVFC at the point where the board doesn't care what we think?

What do you think the general feeling is towards fans and football? I personally think football is becoming detached from it's fans?

How important are we?

Do you see the correlation between belief and attendences?

What do feel is our genuine recourse is, should the club appoint or act in unreasonable manner?

You promised the club would communicate to it's fans on a regular basis, why are we being treated like mushrooms?

Do you understand that for some of us the season ticket is a big proportion of our yearly income and this amount is relative, it might be Randys millions, but it is all relative

Please release a statement that we not after a certain manager

I don't believe the latest sky sports news but if there is a modicum of truth, please, please reconsider. This decision, which I am sure is untrue would kill our club, destroy Randy's investment & good name..he is a legend at the moment of which I am very proud

General,

The club on 10th July said:

We remain focused and are working hard to secure the best candidate for Aston Villa who will complement the Club's commitment to be true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base, and will have the new manager in place to prepare the players for the pre-season programme and next season's campaign.

May I suggest, if that is the case, that a manager who has been relegated twice in recent years, despite spending a fair bit of money is not one 'true to our heritage, competutiveness and passionate fan base'. Especially if that passionate fan base hate the team he has put together, the way they pay and his own personality.

Appoint that man at your peril. Because if you do, I hope you factor in the fall in ticket sales, shirt sales and any of the other stuff that we are expected to buy.

Partly because of where he has come from. But mostly because he is crap. Really crap. Really, really crap.

P.S What's your favourite monkey?

Hi General,

A few days ago you posted something that has been bothering me every since and going around and around in my head so in the end I had to ask.

Did you really mean the statement below and do you stand behind it?

As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another....

If not then you are no different to anyone else in that occasionally we all post things that when we later read back we wonder what we were thinking at the time or post things in a way we didn't intend.

If you did mean it I will be genuinely baffled and equally concerned because I think there is a very direct signal of the ambition of a club by their choice of the man they choose as manager.

I agree with everything you said about the 'fit' of a manager, though I can't help but wonder if fit with the fans should also come into the mix.

Since the last managerial appointment the team seemed divided, the fans have certainly been divided and the club has suffered. What we need now is a manager who can unite the fans, the club, the team and show ambition once again.

For most fans the identity of a manager really does send a signal of ambition and I think the same is true for most within the game as well.

Regards

TV

General Krulak here:

...as if choosing and obtaining a Manager was a simple as going to M&S and ordering up a Balti Pie.

I hope we are not shopping at Marks and Spencer.....or in the case of our neighbours Lidl.

A club like Aston Villa should be shopping at Harrods, Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason, Libertys or Harvey Nicholls.

Please put mine and and counless other Villans minds at rest that we will not be shopping at a down market store.

General,

A quarter of Villa Park have "liked" the "Aston Villa Supporters - We don't want Mcleish" page on Facebook. This has only been up a number of hours and I think is only the tip of the iceberg as to how the Villa community feels regarding this.

Hopefully by being able to visualise a quarter of the stadium possibly empty at our home games due to this potential appointment it might change your mind, if it is truly geared up towards this below average manager.

We trust in Randy. Please help keep it that way.

Facebook No Mcleish Page

General I know the club and yourself are not usually in the business of commenting on press speculation but in regards to McLeish could a statement please be made to state if we are interested in discussing our managerial vacancy with him or not. Given the uproar surrounding this speculation surely it is the right thing for the club to tell the fans exactly what their position is.

Regards

Mark

General if we appoint MCleish then im finished with this board, are you trying to ruin the club or something? Why are we even requesting to speak to him? We have no ambition anymore and it pains me to see. Can you tell me why we are only looking at managers of relegated or struggling clubs? Why does Paul Faulkner have such an important position when he is clearly not qualified? WHAT IS GOING ON AT OUR CLUB GENERAL?

The club was quick enough to speak up when fans voiced objection to McClaren. Now over a much more unpopular candidate there is nothing but silence from the club. It looks like McLeish is coming to Villa Park then, and if this is the case then dear God, does Randy Lerner know what he's done, and what the reaction from fans will be?

I can't honestly believe that the great Aston Villa, one of the giants of the game, would even consider appointed not only a Birmingham City manager, but a Birmingham City manager who has failed. Don't be fooled by his success in Scotland with Rangers, I could be manager of Rangers and win a trophy every year, the gap between them (with Celtic) and the rest of the Scottish League is massive. Alex McLeish plays the most boring, defensive, negative, un-attractive football I have ever seen and VP will be half-empty if you appoint him, Birmingham City's ground was only half-full under him and most of their fans are delighted he has resigned and would be beside themselves with joy if he came to us, that to me and any football fan tells you all you need to know. I can't believe it, we are finished if you appoint this man as it says a lot about the board's ambitions for the club. I have never known such a ridiculous idea ever in the history of Aston Villa, it will be an absolute disgrace to appoint Alex McLeish.

Having said that, I STILL believe you and the board are knowledgable about football and realise that this is mostly media speculation and what a farce we would become if we appointed McLeish.

No more manager stuff. We've asked nicely, multiple times. Representative views have been aired. Permission to post on this site will be revoked if you ignore this strong request

General,

Has the club considered taking legal action against the likes of Talk Sport and other media sources that are dragging our club through the hedges backwards ?

Some of the lies and speculation Talk Sport are spouting on a daily basis are damaging to our clubs reputation especially as most of the 3 million listeners seem to take what there saying as gospel.

Hi Sir,

Can you please advise who does the PR for the club these days?

I ask because since August 2010 this club has been made to look small time. The shirt fiasco, the MON fiasco, the Houllier fiasco, the Anfield fiasco, the new manager fiasco

We are in the media for the wrong reasons and if you did (and not for one minute am i saying you have) post the above on Facebook - a social networking site seen by millions upon millions of people/press/fans then surely that is careless beyond belief

The club is zero without the fans - absolutely zero. As you will no by now - Aston Villa have a fine history and we our fine name is being dragged through the dirt.

I am so upset about this.

"The best candidate for Aston villa who will complement the clubs commitment to be true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base"

General this was the statement released last week and are the main points to take from it, now if this is all true and just not hogwash, then surely we need to come out and announce our new manager asap.

I understand that appointing the best candidate for the vacant managers job isnt easy, but we as fans have had to put up with the press and every other media outlet drag our great club through the mud, with nothing being said.

Now back to the statement above, if this is true then i believe there is no way Randy and the Board could appoint a manager that has seen his team relegated twice and play the most dire football around.

Mr Mcleish may be a great person but he is a very poor football manager as his stat's will show, his team last year managed to score the almighty sum of 37 goals all season, now i have also read your so called post on another forum, and unless you deny it will take it as your honest view.

which i respect as much as the next man's, but if Randy and the board see fit to appoint him as our next manager then i will seriously start having to question the ambition of randy and the board.

He may have a tattoo but that to me means nothing, i took last season as a blip and the appointment of GH was never going to work but backed him, everyone can make a mistake but to make it a second time is just not forgiveable in my book.

Anyway continue with the DITHERING as it seems thats the only thing our board are any good at.

It's now 14th june 2011 and we are still without a manager, sponsor, shirt, goalkeeper. I could go on but i think you have got the message and i don't expect a reply.

I just pray that the wait for a new manager and all of the above are worth it, because if we are expected to wait 2 weeks plus as we have, to be given Mcliesh as our new manager than i recommend that yourself and randy sit down and really consider your futures will AVFC.

And randy doesnt have to worry as he could always have the tattoo removed, sadly having claret and blue blood is for life and something we as fans can't change.

This McLeish business just is not in keeping with the manner in which Randy normally conducts his business. Which gives me hope!

General this is my first post on your topic unfortunately it not about a positive issue. Please inform the us the fans whether the reported approach for Alex Mcleish is true or not (Preferabley not).

I am against his appointment (if he is a target), but that is nothing to do with him being a former BCFC manager. My problem is that we have fantastic young players who need a manager that has a technical approach, will play a pass and move style, and has a proven track record of bringing through young players (Martinez was a decent option). Mcleish is the opposite of this. If we are to become a team capable of winning trophies we need to produce a few top class players, and the current crop of youngsters are our best hope of doing that.

If Mcleish arrives and Downing as well as Ashley Young leaves You might as well tell the premier league to relegate us now! As I would prefer us being a good championship side as opposed to being an average premiership side, playing boring football and with no prospect of going further than that, and if Randy is happy with mediocraty he should sell up, as it will be like Doug Ellis all over again!

I don't care if I get banned you and Randy need to know just how big a mistake appointing Mcleish will be!