Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

IMO the Vampire Lord is horrendously overpowered against anything with blood, and crap in combat against anything that doesn't.

Its still way more fun hacking down fools sword and board style or sneaking up behind them and knifing the **** rather than turn into a 10ft bat and using blood drain - and having to wait outside.

Also the mechanics of Skyrim Vampirism are a bit odd. You can nob around in the daylight quite happily, and you get weaker if you feed on people?! The Dawnguard stuff feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity tbh.

LOL Dawnguard Rant

You're gonna love the mysterious vampire traveler then.

He sneaks into peoples homes and kills them in their sleep. And he doesn't appear hostile on your map until you provoke him.

The only time you know when he's struck is if you catch him sneaking around, or if a shop is inexplicably shut down. IMO much worse than the full-blown vampire attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Been beasting this lately. Level 46 ATM. Just got the Oblivion Walker achievement. Apparently I've done 15 Daedric Quests which is ace. Really like them, quite different from usual fetch quests. There is actually a bit of 'story'.

Hoping to hit 50 in a few days.

I have been gerting halfway through a lot of quests and then leaving them to start up new ones once the quest points to Solitude. I dont know why but I am saving them up and have tje main quest, TG quests, Mage quests and three or four side quests. I have never taken a game this slowly before. Love it.

I need to increase my smithing though. On level 43 and want to bag some plate armour instead. Any tips for improving your amithing more quickly?

Smithing improves quicker the more expensive the item. If you go through a dwarven ruin and pick up all the metal you can make dwarven bows for quick levels. Alternatively you can use the transmute spell and turn your iron ore into gold ore then make jewellery.

If you don't mind somewhat breaking the game (well... exploiting it a little in a manner that can affect the economy) and have a decent amount of cash and a few hours to waste, you can get smithing to advance really easily by churning out iron daggers. They're the simplest item to smith and the materials are everywhere. Keep making daggers and flogging them. You can buy iron/ore and leather from blacksmiths if you run out, so all you have to do is keep churning out the daggers. It'll affect the economy of the blacksmith you sell them to a little and it's tedious as ****, but it's the easiest way to get smithing up, particularly earlier in the game.

Dante's dwarven bow suggestion will work as well but it involves going through dwarven ruins, which is time consuming, and dwarven metal items are some of the heaviest in the game which makes collecting it even more tedious.

Take a follower with you and load them up with the scrap. They can carry loads.

The iron ingot method is no longer viable as it was patched. Smithing now increases more with the cost of the item smithed.

• 2 weeks later...

Smithing the more decent stuff is better anyhow, gives you a decent base for enchanting etc.

Haven't played this game in months now, can't wait for the Dawnguard DLC to come out so I can get right back into it. Then again, I'm not sure I've got anywhere near to finishing all the available quests anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned before in here how, despite putting in over 100 hours on the same save, I hadn't progressed very far with the main story. So I decided to start on the way to putting that right recently, and have advanced as far as Blackreach now. Wonderful isn't it? The whole place has a very eerie vibe, more so than other abandoned Dwemer cities in the game. Probably because of the scale, and I suppose the giant floating glow in the dark mushrooms help too. Would be interesting if the Dwemer returned in the next game, from where ever it was they went.

I think this has surpassed RDR as my favourite game of all time.

I have sunk hours into this yet and only done around four of the main missions. I was working away on the Mage Guild ones when I took a walk behind the college and started up a Daedric artefact one.

After going through a Dwermer ruin you get to their city of Blackreach which is staggering.

I love those massive floating, glowing mushrooms.

I think I'm about 20 hours in and loving it. Mainly been doing side quests. So recently resumed what I assume is the main storyline and have just learned the first couple of Shouts.

I think I've got a bit to go :D

I finished the main quest now. It was OK. Not as (and I hate to use this word, but it's quite appropriate here) epic as the finale the Oblivion main quest, with the giant Mehrunes Dagon in the Imperial City and all that. By the time you get to the final battle of the main quest, you've probably killed hundreds of dragons, so to 'just' fight another one was a bit of an anti-climax I thought. Woudve been better if he turned into a GIANT DRAGON and then you and your undead Sovngarde chums shouldve gotten into your ZORDS and combined them into a MEGAZORD to defeat Alduin.

Then I finished off the Civil War quest line, which was good fun. I now have to finish the Dark Brotherhood quests, and 'restore the Thieves Guild to it's former glory', which means doing those repetitive radiant quests, which is kind of boring.

Highlight of the game in regard to the quests were undoubtedly the Daedric quests. I also finished 'Transfiguring the transmudane' (I think it's called), as I triggered the bit where you have to go and collect the various types of Elf blood, and figured that would occur naturally over time, what with killing bandits and conjurers and such like. It didn't take that long to get them all, so finished that one last night.

I have 2 or 3 of them left to do, but I think one is glitched beyond repair. In the Rift, there's an Orc village, they fight a Giant outside, then you discover theres some sort of curse on the tribe. But no such thing happens. I can talk to the leader, but he doesnt say anything about a curse. Other members of the tribe do, but I can't actually talk to them, they just speak. So the quest won't trigger. Unless I'm missing something.

All in all, the game delivered on it's potential. When I first saw the videos of Dragons flying around, and landing, and then the player fighting them first of all I was very impressed - secondly I questioned how the game would hold up, given Bethesda's track record with glitches and such. Turns out it all works like a dream. Which is something considering I've played the whole game on the much maligned PS3 version. It has had some issues, sure - but I'm not really sure if Bethesda have been given the credit they deserve for fixing it how they have. My save is over 120 hours long now, and I experience pretty much zero lag anywhere. Only times it does struggle is when you go into one of those places with lots of mist covering the ground.

Having said that, I do look forward to playing it on PC when I have bought a better PC - probably next summer. Just so it looks that much more pretty, plus the modding, of course.

New 'Hearthfire' DLC announced today

- 400ms points, out on September 4th. No news on PC or ps3 version :l

- Build your own home and garden, adopt a kid, protect your house/kids from attacks. Seems about all there is too it really from whats been said so far. Looks a bit cack in all honesty.

Info and first video below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-28-skyrim-hearthfire-dlc-allows-you-to-build-a-house-adopt-a-child

New 'Hearthfire' DLC announced today

- 400ms points, out on September 4th. No news on PC or ps3 version :l

- Build your own home and garden, adopt a kid, protect your house/kids from attacks. Seems about all there is too it really from whats been said so far. Looks a bit cack in all honesty.

Cack? CACK!? This is an RP'ers dream! YEAH! My own home! I can RP a retired adventurer, who has set up home in the hills, yearning no more for the blood of his enemies, but for the harvest of his crop....

Or I could RP a wealthy and generous old gentleman, who has set up an Orphanage in a picturesque locale, away from the toil and troubles of the Civil War....until one day, when my past catches up with me...

Shame I don't RP then, really.

Â