Houllier Do You want him or not?

bickster

Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

I don't want him gone because of his actions and comments against Liverpool, that just tops off what has been a shambolic start to his villa career.

I want him gone because under him we can't defend, we don't look a threat going forward, we collapse when in the lead, we roll over and die when losing. The football is awlful to watch, the senior players don't look interested, there is zero confidence in the team and results have been poor. Only beating wolves and Blackpool is quite frankly laughable.

I appreciate a lot of people are angry and because of that, they want him out. But is that really the best idea for our club? I personally don't think so.

Bringing in another manager doesn't guarantee better results. It was agreed by a lot of VTers that Houllier was the most successful manager we could have appointed. The injuries have mainly been his doing, but he still saw that as an issue that needed to be addressed.

A new manager could do a good job. A new manager could do a bad job. A new manager could do the job just as well as Houllier and we would be in the same position and would have wasted time and disrupted the team for no reason.

IMO, the logical thing to do is to stick with Houllier and see what he can do in the Summer and in January. If we come out of this as a better team with better players then we'll all forget about what happened at Anfield.

(BTW, I'm not happy with what happened at the Liverpool game, but I'm not going to call for his head just because of a few ill-advised words and actions)

i think getting in another manager would best all round tbh,i think GH has upset the players at the wrong time,has came in and its seems that he's already managed to fall out with a good few players that he managed before,ie Carew,Brad,Warnock then Ireland,and as sure as my arse is in two halfs there are more players that think he's a prick...his man management skill seem crap,he's not installing confidence in the team,running to the press to bad mouth his players,even if they aren't playing well that should be kept indoors ffs..the constant talking up of liverpool.i honestly dont care if people back him,but imo he has been a bloody shambles of a manager so far...

Yet people will argue that those same players, well apart from Luke helped get the team to 6th last season...They can defend, they're just playing shit and have been for a while.

Most if not all wants Carlos to play, that's down to Houllier, but him alone can't stop the defensive mistakes.

the silly cu.t can if he has the bollox to make changes ffs..Stevie Wonder can see that..

Maradona10, I understand all your points and don't blame a lot of people for being angry. But that's not the way I'm going to be. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. English isn't his first language and he was apparantly making a joke. None of the things he said are really that serious, in my opinion.

The touching of the sign at Liverpool, that doesn't really bother me. If we'd have won then a few people would moan but the majority wouldn't care if we'd walked away with 3 points.

The waving thing is insulting, but I wasn't there so didn't witness it first hand. Maybe if I had gone to the game and noticed, I would be as angry as you.

I'm willing to give him time. If he changes the club for the better, which he obviously wants to do, then my support of him will be justified. If not, then I'll be gutted like every other Villa fan (and I won't have wasted time complaining about something that I can't change).

That's my honest view of it all.

I don't blame people for being angry, but I don't think that kicking him out will solve anything.

It will solve having a deluded arrogant man in charge of our football club, i feel nothing for him as a manager and i think he's dug his own grave. I'll back AVFC as i always do but i want a manager who cares and is passionate about my football club as much as me and i think the past 3 months have proved we do not have that manager. Would you ever see Alex Ferguson acting like that? What about Mourinho when going back to Chelsea with Inter, beat them at SB but still acknowledged his own fans.

Were conceding 2 goals a game on average

It doesnt take a genius to figure out our back 4 are clowns

I thought Houllier was supposed to be intelligent but he cant spot this?

Cant really blame Cuellar for leaving in jan or the summer what an insult to him that he cant even get a place in the side

I don't want him gone because of his actions and comments against Liverpool, that just tops off what has been a shambolic start to his villa career.

I want him gone because under him we can't defend, we don't look a threat going forward, we collapse when in the lead, we roll over and die when losing. The football is awlful to watch, the senior players don't look interested, there is zero confidence in the team and results have been poor. Only beating wolves and Blackpool is quite frankly laughable.

Yep and a , largely, reserve Blackpool side too

Good to see people have used their head a bit rather than their heart since yesterday.

And Maradona, "deluded arrogant man" - there aren't many of them in football are they? He's not deluded, his actions were careless at worst. MON wasn't arrogant was he? Nor is the man in your name? What he did/said was a bit stupid, but by no means did he mean to insult Villa. He was just too sentimental.

Cant really blame Cuellar for leaving in jan or the summer what an insult to him that he cant even get a place in the side

The reason for our results is CLEARLY due to the centre of midfield. We're playing 5th choice players there AT BEST at the moment - and these players are young, very inexperienced and in the case of Clark, out of position. It's pretty obvious that due to this, teams cut through us too easily which puts the back four under an IMMENSE amount of pressure. No team in the league could cope with what we are coping with, so it's no surprise that we are conceding so many goals.

Maradona10 makes a good point when he says he feels nothing for him as a manager. I have had numerous fans say that they feel absolutely no connection with Houllier, and this was long before Monday nights insulting behaviour. And I get it.

I have to say something about him being our manager as never felt right for me. He just doesn't fit as an Aston Villa manager and doesn't connect with us or what we are about. I so badly want that connection, somewhat emotional connection I suppose, with the manager of the club I love. Its hard to explain but somethings missing and I can't see it ever being there with Houllier. Which as someone who as followed the club for 30 odd years I am a little sad about.

Good to see people have used their head a bit rather than their heart since yesterday.

And Maradona, "deluded arrogant man" - there aren't many of them in football are they? He's not deluded, his actions were careless at worst. MON wasn't arrogant was he? Nor is the man in your name? What he did/said was a bit stupid, but by no means did he mean to insult Villa. He was just too sentimental.

He insulted Villa by not acknowledging his own fans, how many bloody times do i repeat this! Oh but you weren't there so it don't matter. An arrogance is built up on success, has Gerard had any yet at Villa? We've won 2 games. Has he shown you anything in 3 months to think we'll make it? I was fully supportive of Houllier, however after Monday Night, my views changed. Also evidence of his delusion, for the past 5 games he says defence is a problem? Has he done anything about it? NO!

The reason for our results is CLEARLY due to the centre of midfield. We're playing 5th choice players there AT BEST at the moment - and these players are young, very inexperienced and in the case of Clark, out of position. It's pretty obvious that due to this, teams cut through us too easily which puts the back four under an IMMENSE amount of pressure. No team in the league could cope with what we are coping with, so it's no surprise that we are conceding so many goals.

Whilst the injuries are certainly a factor in the results that is absolutely no excuse for the team out on the pitch not to give 100% effort. At the moment they are not doing this and Houlliers actions on Monday night were merely the tipping point.

Houllier needs results and he needs them fast, starting with the must win game against WBA.

i think getting in another manager would best all round tbh,i think GH has upset the players at the wrong time,has came in and its seems that he's already managed to fall out with a good few players that he managed before,ie Carew,Brad,Warnock then Ireland,and as sure as my arse is in two halfs there are more players that think he's a prick...his man management skill seem crap,he's not installing confidence in the team,running to the press to bad mouth his players,even if they aren't playing well that should be kept indoors ffs..the constant talking up of liverpool.i honestly dont care if people back him,but imo he has been a bloody shambles of a manager so far...

It's so easy to be negative isn't it?

When did he fall out with Brad? If you can show me some quotes then I'll be proved wrong, but I don't think he has.

He's fallen out with Warnock? When was this?

Just because a player is playing poorly and may be on a list of players to be sold in the future, that doesn't equate to a falling out. Otherwise every manager in football will have done that at some point. It's part of the game.

He said that Carew's comments were stupid. And they were. If you read the full interviews then you'll see that Houllier simply stated that Carew neesd to prove himself to a get a new contract, Carew reacted stupidly to this. IIRC, Houllier also played the interview in front of the whole team to show that he wasn't badmouthing Carew, just his comments.

Ireland. Many of us agreed that he has been playing poorly and that he doesn't try enough on the pitch. Houllier echoed these statements and challenged him to play better. Each player will react in a different way to comments from his manager. I'm of the opinion that since those comments, Ireland has started to play better and put in more effort. Maybe that was the kick up the arse he needed?

Only beating wolves and Blackpool is quite frankly laughable.

Everton too. It's lucky we played them when we did, otherwise we would be in the relegation zone. The 2 points dropped against Fulham are the more annoying. Losing to Spurs at White Hart Lane, fair enough.. Drawing with Man Utd is a result most would have taken at the start of the day, so although it was disappointing to drop the points as we did, it's still not a disaster.. but we have just dropped too many points from seemingly comfortable positions. The Fulham game was the last bloody kick. All we had to do was see that out, and we gave away a stupid free kick and then didnt watch the most dangerous man in the air.

When did he fall out with Brad? If you can show me some quotes then I'll be proved wrong, but I don't think he has.

Just because a player is playing poorly and may be on a list of players to be sold in the future, that doesn't equate to a falling out. Otherwise every manager in football will have done that at some point. It's part of the game.

He said that Carew's comments were stupid. And they were. If you read the full interviews then you'll see that Houllier simply stated that Carew neesd to prove himself to a get a new contract, Carew reacted stupidly to this. IIRC, Houllier also played the interview in front of the whole team to show that he wasn't badmouthing Carew, just his comments.

Ireland. Many of us agreed that he has been playing poorly and that he doesn't try enough on the pitch. Houllier echoed these statements and challenged him to play better. Each player will react in a different way to comments from his manager. I'm of the opinion that since those comments, Ireland has started to play better and put in more effort. Maybe that was the kick up the arse he needed?

fair enough,maybe not a falling out,but if the likes of Brad and Warnock have been put up for sale already then it is going to have a bad effect on there game,the way these players are playing right now shows to me that they dont want to play for this guy..as for Carew and Ireland,the manager shouldnt be going to the press though,it should be kept in house i dont give a crap whos at fault he should be able to handle it without the help of the press..and yes it is so easy to be negative now,because this retard of a manager of our's hasn't really gave us much to be positive about.

fair enough,maybe not a falling out,but if the likes of Brad and Warnock have been put up for sale already then it is going to have a bad effect on there game,the way these players are playing right now shows to me that they dont want to play for this guy..as for Carew and Ireland,the manager shouldnt be going to the press though,it should be kept in house i dont give a crap whos at fault he should be able to handle it without the help of the press..and yes it is so easy to be negative now,because this retard of a manager of our's hasn't really gave us much to be positive about.

I'm not really a fan of managers who speak to the press constantly. But it's not proven that speaking to the press is bad for your team.

Yes there are morale issues, but there is also a case to say that Houllier thought that going to the press about a particular player would have more of an effect on the player than just speaking to them in house. If he sees it as a way to motivate a player, then so be it.

Harry Redknapp always talks to the press. He's just got Spurs into the champs league. I'm not saying that everyone who speaks to the press will do as well as Spurs have, but it's certainly proof that 'going to the press' will be detrimental to your team 100% of the time.

I voted to keep him, but only because it would be more disastrous to lose the manager now and I really cannot see who we would get in to replace him. But that's not a vote of confidence in Houllier. There are an awful lot of things wrong with the way Villa are playing at the moment and a lot is down to Houllier's management. If things don't improve in the new year, maybe the board should be looking to strengthen the management team, bring in a hands-on first team coach (up and coming younger manager?) and shunt Hou upstairs a bit.

Â