Houllier Do You want him or not?

bickster

Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Will he stay if, as expected we loose the next 2 games ?

I don't think he will go even if we do lose the next 2 games, I don't even think he would go this season.

The board/Randy think they have the right man, they will give him time to make it work.

This is how I feel too.

I can't see Houllier being sacked unless we get relegated. (Which I really don't think will happen).

i think getting in another manager would best all round tbh,i think GH has upset the players at the wrong time,has came in and its seems that he's already managed to fall out with a good few players that he managed before,ie Carew,Brad,Warnock then Ireland,and as sure as my arse is in two halfs there are more players that think he's a prick...his man management skill seem crap,he's not installing confidence in the team,running to the press to bad mouth his players,even if they aren't playing well that should be kept indoors ffs..the constant talking up of liverpool.i honestly dont care if people back him,but imo he has been a bloody shambles of a manager so far...

It's so easy to be negative isn't it?

When did he fall out with Brad? If you can show me some quotes then I'll be proved wrong, but I don't think he has.

He's fallen out with Warnock? When was this?

Just because a player is playing poorly and may be on a list of players to be sold in the future, that doesn't equate to a falling out. Otherwise every manager in football will have done that at some point. It's part of the game.

He said that Carew's comments were stupid. And they were. If you read the full interviews then you'll see that Houllier simply stated that Carew neesd to prove himself to a get a new contract, Carew reacted stupidly to this. IIRC, Houllier also played the interview in front of the whole team to show that he wasn't badmouthing Carew, just his comments.

Ireland. Many of us agreed that he has been playing poorly and that he doesn't try enough on the pitch. Houllier echoed these statements and challenged him to play better. Each player will react in a different way to comments from his manager. I'm of the opinion that since those comments, Ireland has started to play better and put in more effort. Maybe that was the kick up the arse he needed?

fair enough,maybe not a falling out,but if the likes of Brad and Warnock have been put up for sale already then it is going to have a bad effect on there game,the way these players are playing right now shows to me that they dont want to play for this guy..as for Carew and Ireland,the manager shouldnt be going to the press though,it should be kept in house i dont give a crap whos at fault he should be able to handle it without the help of the press..and yes it is so easy to be negative now,because this retard of a manager of our's hasn't really gave us much to be positive about.

I'm not really a fan of managers who speak to the press constantly. But it's not proven that speaking to the press is bad for your team.

Yes there are morale issues, but there is also a case to say that Houllier thought that going to the press about a particular player would have more of an effect on the player than just speaking to them in house. If he sees it as a way to motivate a player, then so be it.

Harry Redknapp always talks to the press. He's just got Spurs into the champs league. I'm not saying that everyone who speaks to the press will do as well as Spurs have, but it's certainly proof that 'going to the press' will be detrimental to your team 100% of the time.

Harry does talk a lot to the press,but not in a player bashing way like GH did.

its seems to that GH still hasn't taken to players like Carew that he's let go at other clubs he's been with..imho,GH has come in and tried to change to much to soon.i'm all for playing football in the right way i hated the MON style long ball bull shit that we had to watch week in week out.but GH has came in without being able to sign his own playing staff and just turned the current plaing staff on there heads with a whole new meaning of football,and new rules..i know every manager is going to want to put there own stamp on a team and thats fair enough..but he has tried to introduce his ways and means to quick and i dont think the players are liking him for it..

I think when Harry said in a live interview that "his grandma would have scored that" when referring to Darren Bents miss probably was player bashing....

however the difference is Harry is respected by players coz hes built himself a reputation as a fantastic manager.......

Houlliers simply building himself a reputation of being a clearing in the woods

I'd rather we gave him a chance, if we sacked him already we'd just be the same as Newcastle. And no one wants that, do they?
we wouldnt be like them,because they got rid of a good manager.we'd be getting rid of a shite one.

Fair point Fran, at first I was glad that he was changing things quickly but, like you have said, things have changed too fast.

That's hindsight for you! If he hadn't had so many injuries because of his intense training-scheme then we probably wouldn't be mentioning it and would probably be a lot higher in the table.

It could have gone either way.

Let's get things straight; he's trying to change our club for the better. He saw that the players were grossly unfit and he had, in my opinion, 3 choices:

1) Address the issue straight away - intense training etc

2) Wait until January, when a few better players are brought in

3) Wait until the Summer, when a few better players are brought in

In my opinion, addressing it straight away was the best thing to do, otherwise you go for a half/ whole season with players who aren't as fit as Houllier would like.

I voted yes by mistake, should have read it more carefully! So that's another NO then. GET RID! We aint a 8th-12th club like he has stated!

.... but in the history of the Premier League, 8-12th is a fairly accurate average.

The interview was in French and he said something along the lines of "in the Premier League"... he didn't say "this year/ last year/ the last few years".

I'd rather we gave him a chance, if we sacked him already we'd just be the same as Newcastle. And no one wants that, do they?
we wouldnt be like them,because they got rid of a good manager.we'd be getting rid of a shite one.

In what way is he shite, I know he hasn't had a great start but MoN hardly left him in a good situation? He's a proven manager at Prem level he just needs a chance, more than half a season. Chris Hughton was working with that team for alot long than GH has had so yeah he looks to have been a good manager but if you shove him in GH's shoes right now he'll probably still lose to Liverpool. At the end of the day in my opinion the guy hasn't been given enough time to warrant us all crying to get him out. Fair enough after the whole season and he's still doing shit then yeah get rid and I'll admit I was wrong but you can't seriously expect him to come into a job and start winning every game.

Fair point Fran, at first I was glad that he was changing things quickly but, like you have said, things have changed too fast.

That's hindsight for you! If he hadn't had so many injuries because of his intense training-scheme then we probably wouldn't be mentioning it and would probably be a lot higher in the table.

Let's get things straight; he's trying to change our club for the better. He saw that the players were grossly unfit and he had, in my opinion, 3 choices:

In my opinion, addressing it straight away was the best thing to do, otherwise you go for a half/ whole season with players who aren't as fit as Houllier would like.

see,imo he should have brought the changes in in stage's.i think its all come down the line to fast for the players..the players have had three management styles in the last 6 months..GH should have played to this teams strenghts.its been very bad management by him imo.i dont think he treated the situation as sensitve as it should have been..

however the difference is Harry is respected by players coz hes built himself a reputation as a fantastic manager.......

You could say that.

You could also point to the trophies which this "great" manager Harry has accumilated over his managerial career and wonder where they all are

He's also a gobshite of the highest order with the morals and conduct of a snake

But if you like him fair enough. He turns my stomach

Voted yes. I know it isn't going to be popular but some of the histrionics on here are completely laughable. I'm not bothered in the slightest about the Liverpool comments, they mean absolutely nothing, MON talked about Celtic and Leicester incessantly for the first two years, but slowly stopped - when the media are framing every question in the light of 'ex Liverpool manager' Gerard Houllier, it's inevitable that GH answers in that vain, that'll stop after a while.

I'm as frustrated as the next Villa fan but we have crippling injury problems, he hasn't had a transfer window, we sold our best player in the close season, we've been a bit unlucky with stupid scrappy goals against and, in my opinion, GH has been excellent in making brave and sensible team selections, I still think (with the exception of the first half at Liverpool) we have been learning to play a more positive, better to watch, approach to attacking football. I'm convinced that with Petrov, Albrighton, Young and Cuellar coming back in plus a couple of decent signings and we could have a decent second half of the season.

I'd like to at least see him here until the end of the season.

In what way is he shite, I know he hasn't had a great start but MoN hardly left him in a good situation? He's a proven manager at Prem level he just needs a chance, more than half a season. Chris Hughton was working with that team for alot long than GH has had so yeah he looks to have been a good manager but if you shove him in GH's shoes right now he'll probably still lose to Liverpool. At the end of the day in my opinion the guy hasn't been given enough time to warrant us all crying to get him out. Fair enough after the whole season and he's still doing shit then yeah get rid and I'll admit I was wrong but you can't seriously expect him to come into a job and start winning every game.

he was a prem manager over 6 years ago,so dont give me that.fair enough when he was in it he done well for a season or two..but thats then and this is now,the way our team played on monday night and in most of the games since he's been here has been nothing short of a shambles.no fight no team spirit,he's been unable to make changes to a defence that we all can see is doing shite..Randy was a mug to appoint him in the first place.

see,imo he should have brought the changes in in stage's.i think its all come down the line to fast for the players..the players have had three management styles in the last 6 months..GH should have played to this teams strenghts.its been very bad management by him imo.i dont think he treated the situation as sensitve as it should have been..

I've never known of a manager going into a job and thinking "Even though it's a style of football I've never liked, I'll play longball football for 6 months until I get a few better players in".

That's pretty much unheard of isn't it?

MON used to get the players passing occasionally. Houllier probably thought they could cope with a slight change of style.

A lot of VTers have been saying for a few weeks now "give him time". I'm still of that opinion and I'm not going to go back on what I've said just because of a few bad results and actions.

We need to be patient.

You could say that.

You could also point to the trophies which this "great" manager Harry has accumilated over his managerial career and wonder where they all are

He's also a gobshite of the highest order with the morals and conduct of a snake

But if you like him fair enough. He turns my stomach

i dont like the guy either really but i think hes a great manager

he might not be blessed with trophies but you cant deny players give their all for him

he'll be the next England manager im sure and he'll be it for a reason

i was just trying to make the point that some managers could get awaywith bad mouthing players in the press.....Harry is probably one of them

I voted yes by mistake, should have read it more carefully! So that's another NO then. GET RID! We aint a 8th-12th club like he has stated!

.... but in the history of the Premier League, 8-12th is a fairly accurate average.

Seriously? Check your facts.

Not this argument again..

92/93: 2nd

93/94: 10th

94/95: 18th

95/96: 4th

96/97: 5th

97/98: 7th

98/99: 6th

99/00: 6th

00/01: 8th

01/02: 8th

02/03: 16th

03/04: 6th

04/05: 10th

05/06: 16th

06/07: 11th

07/08: 6th

08/09: 6th

09/10: 6th

I said "fairly accurate" which, in my opinion, it is.

If you average it out properly it will probably give you a result of something like 6th-10th (I haven't worked it out, I'm just guessing).

Â