SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Yet had we put in a bid whilst we still had Downing, maybe the purchase would have looked like a replacement for 15-16m Young? And a less desperate purchase as we already had Downing and Albrighton..

Everyone knew Downing was off.. They've known that since late April/early May.

Unless we had bid before end of April, Whelan would have been aware that we were losing Downing and Young and looking to replace them before they left.

And here's a spanner for your work - if we had bought N'Zogbia before selling Downing, wouldn't that have given a signal to Liverpool that if the held firm at £15million, we'd be desperate to sell as we'd be overloaded in that position?

Or even encouraged Downing to stick around? Downing on the right, N'Zogbia on the left with Albrighton as back up looks pretty decent.

Snapping up N'Zogbia would have also limited Liverpool's search for a left footed wide player. So the 20m purchase would still have stood.

I think we will have splash more than 10m to land N'Zogbia now that we have sold Downing. We are the deserate club now for that left footed wide player.

So according to Kendrick, we are turning our attention away from N'Zogbia now because of a poxey £1million and looking at Wright f+++in Phillips and McGeady (who would cost more than £10m anyway)? Bloody hell, I know it sounds like Whelan might have gone back on his word, but £10m is a good price for a cracking player, one of the players of last season. Pay it or regret it.

Whose to say N'Zogbia's the best available though? At the least I'd like to think we can find someone of comparable ability with a better temperament. After all, say N'Zogbia comes in and has the sort of season we all hope he does and attracts serious interest from above; the toys would go out the pram so fast it'd make Downing look like a model professional.

Edit: I would just like to add that, having read VillaRoy's post above, said players are most definitely NOT Aiden McGeady or Sean Wright-Phillips :puke:

I have no doubt that selling before buying will cost us more money, I'd say we will just have to pay it in the end.

These stories about switching targets are just a tactic to make DW think twice about upping his asking price.

A firm bid of 8-10m for shaqiri would be a great option.. It would also spell to Whelan that we are not looking at just N'Zogbia.

Wouldn't it be great to see both at VP. Shaqiri can play centrally as well and looks a real player.

Just read what Whelan said. We are pissing about over £1m? What's that in football terms? The difference between 10th and 12th? Staying up or going down?

I have a feeling this deal will go through sooner rather than later.

A firm bid of 8-10m for shaqiri would be a great option.. It would also spell to Whelan that we are not looking at just N'Zogbia.

Wouldn't it be great to see both at VP. Shaqiri can play centrally as well and looks a real player.

Have we ever actually been linked with Shaqiri or is this just wishful thinking? would love him down VP.

From what I'd heard from Wigan side... and I did post at the time THIS deal was done and dusted BEFORE Downing sale was concluded

It would now appear that this applied to as fas as the player and AVFC were concerned.... at the price they understood would seal the deal.

Then Whelan decided to change the goalposts.

BTW My HP Sauce isn't looking good on this because he's in the middle of a family crisis, so I didn't want to push. I don't know Jack more than anyone at this point in time.

Wigan accepted a £9Million bid for him from the blouse last summer. He was their player of the season at that stage. Can't see why he is worth more now with a year left to run on his contract?!

I cannot see a que of clubs forming for him at that price. Let’s not get ripped off.

It’s immaterial that what we got for Downing or Young.

Whose to say N'Zogbia's the best available though? At the least I'd like to think we can find someone of comparable ability with a better temperament. After all, say N'Zogbia comes in and has the sort of season we all hope he does and attracts serious interest from above; the toys would go out the pram so fast it'd make Downing look like a model professional.

Well there are other players out there but for £10 million, he's proven in the Premiership which is vital because we know he can perform at this level consistently, scores goals, makes goals, quick and direct and a good age. Put him down to a 5 year contract and we'll get at least 3 years out of him before selling him on (if that's the case) for a good price. Not arguing, his temperament is a little wayward but he's been linked with clubs for a year now, could have gone in January etc....didn't really effect his game.

We've lost two vital games, I think we need to buy someone we know who will deliver and has done before in the Prem.

"It's £10m or there is no deal," Whelan told the Daily Mirror. "They offered us £9m and we refused it; firstly because we would like to keep Charles, and secondly because if he is to go, then we have to get the right price for him.

I guess they get to keep him then. I doubt he'll sign a new contract with them though, so maybe we can get him for free next year.

"It's £10m or there is no deal," Whelan told the Daily Mirror. "They offered us £9m and we refused it; firstly because we would like to keep Charles, and secondly because if he is to go, then we have to get the right price for him.

I thought the Mirror said yesterday morning that the deal was held up because of N'Zogbia's extrotinate wage demands to Villa??!!

Funny that....

IF the impasse is simply over £1M then I think compromise and add ons will seal the deal. If the difference is more then I think this could drag on.

I guess they get to keep him then. I doubt he'll sign a new contract with them though, so maybe we can get him for free next year.

I really do wish we were in a position to do this but unfortunately we NEED a Young/Downing replacement now, not next season. Plus I'm sure if he left on a free next year then the list of suitors would be as long as your arm (if you had a very long arm)

Have we ever actually been linked with Shaqiri or is this just wishful thinking? would love him down VP.

Linked whilst Houllier was in charge that's about it.. (Shaqiri and Stocker)