SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

The plot seems to have been well and truly lost along the way.

Its £9m, then £10m.........now £14ms been thrown on the table!!

I know DW is a canny old bugger, but I reckon the truth is a lot simpler than all this lunacy would suggest. He's give us a number and its up to us if we pay it or not.......whatever it may be.

My only concern is that the illustrious PF will cock this up royally by trying to be standoffish and clever. And if we lose out on N'Zogbia over the odd million then he might as well seek pastures new in my eyes.

good news that its just the £10m so, though this could be his way of trying to spark a bidding war amongst potentially interested parties

we need to get a bid in in the morning and sign him up. its all well and good being picky about fees, but surely its better to pay an extra £1m than not have a key position filled

Lansley's Times reporter

Reckons he's spoken to N'Zogbia's representatives and THIS explains the hold up.

Here's latest from Kendrick...which backs up exactly what the Times reporter is saying. The player was told he would be sold

if a bid of £9M came in for him.

Aston Villa transfer latest: Villa warn Wigan over N'Zogbia fee

By Mat Kendrick

Jul 18 2011

VILLA have warned Wigan they will not be held to ransom over Charles N’Zogbia with their opening offer for Stewart Downing’s potential replacement still on the table.

Latics chairman Dave Whelan has indicated he would like more for the 25-year-old French international than the written £9 million bid Villa lodged last Thursday.

Whelan has not formally rejected the offer but has verbally told Villa he is reluctant to sell at that price despite N’Zogbia entering the final year of his contract.

N’Zogbia is understood to be growing increasingly restless at the stand-off after apparently being told he could leave if a £9 million bid was submitted.

The two clubs are set to resume contact today, but Villa have told their DW Stadium counterparts they will not pay over the odds or wait forever for N’Zogbia.

Despite reported interest from Everton, Villa are believed to be the only club seriously willing to pay anywhere near Wigan’s valuation and meet the player’s £60,000 per week wage demands.

With Downing’s £20 million switch to Liverpool officially completed late on Friday evening, Villa boss Alex McLeish is keen to get his replacement signed up within the next few days.

And unless there is rapid movement with Wigan, McLeish is ready to turn his attention to a list of alternatives headed by Spartak Moscow’s former Celtic favourite Aiden McGeady.

There is no truth in rumours Villa are after Fiorentina’s left-sided star, Peruvian international Juan Manuel Vargas. If Villa were to pursue McGeady instead, the 25-year-old would add to an Ireland contingent which is set to be swelled by experienced goalkeeper Shay Given’s signing today.

Given passed a weekend medical and, having agreed personal terms, the £3.5 million capture from Manchester City will train this week and jet off on Villa’s Hong Kong tour on Saturday.

Richard Dunne is excited about welcoming his international team-mate to Bodymoor Heath.

“I spoke to him and he just wanted to get here and get started,” said Dunne.

“He was frustrated over the way things have gone over the last year, I think he just wants to get playing again and he’ll be looking forward to it.

“I spoke to him on Friday when he got here and I think he was surprised about how good the facilities and the setup are here at Bodymoor.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for Shay to get back to playing football and I think it’s one he’s really looking forward to.”

“I think that over the years he’s been one of the best goalkeepers in the league.

Weekend reports of a £7 million bid for Scott Parker are wide of the mark. Villa have not entered into any discussions with West Ham about the 30-year-old England international.

McLeish rates the former Charlton, Chelsea and Newcastle star, but the claret and blues would not be willing to commit a hefty transfer fee and big wages to a midfielder of his age.

Meanwhile, former Villa boss Gerard Houllier believes Villa should be aiming for the top six next season despite the sale of Downing.

“I was happy with Alex succeeding me,” said Houllier.

“I wish him the best, to him, his staff, the players and the whole club. The supporters there are fantastic.

“The target will be sixth or seventh for next year which looks reasonable when you see the power of the big guns above.

“Had I stayed there I would have done everything to keep Stewart Downing but when a player wants to leave I don’t think you can do much about it in the modern day. “All you have to do is find a replacement.”

B'ham Mail

I hasten to add the £14M was only off a tweet message but he's normally pretty close to the truth.

We wouldn't accept an opening bid so why would wigan, if he has only asked for 1m more then I guess common will soon be met.

Indeed. However.

If we have offered £9m and the bloke said no I want £10m, what the 'eck is stopping us? Surely in our position, we just pay it. We need a winger, we want N'Zogbia, it's hardly a desperate move or an earth shattering amount of money.

Pay the man. Before he get's his bidding war.

I truly detest Paul Faulkner. Wouldn't mind Randy Lerner so much if he got rid of this useless fool and hired someone who's qualified and had football knowledge.

So Whelan is going back on a price, but it's PF's fault?

and there you go Julie, obviously don't know the in's and out's and with Whelan ....bloke loves to speak but if it's as simple as he states, just pay up.

I'm still awaiting a response from you to the fact that I have posted on here subsequently to the interview that we were discussing. Before you start trying to have a go at someone for discussing an interview that a journalist has given on the radio tonight, explaining what the hold up is.

You Sir were implying that I was trying to claim ITK. I wasn't.

All I said is that someone has tweeted me that the fee had been put up to £14M.

I also clearly said IF THAT IS TRUE!

If the maximum is 10m, then just pay the man. It's only 1m difference, peanuts in football terms. He's in no position to mess about seeing as he was happy enough to sell Young and Downing without any replacements.

If the maximum is 10m, then just pay the man. It's only 1m difference, peanuts in football terms

Exactly.. I'm sure every PL deal that goes through is a haggle over £1M. The Times reporter seems to be intimating that there may be a little more of a difference in the price. He specifically mentions an Impasse. Can't see an impasse over £500K X 2 meet in the middle of £1M or so though can you?

Kendrick says discussions are ongoing but player and Villa are NOT happy about the fee being increased when it was accepted back in January and he has 6 months less to go on his contract.

and there you go Julie, obviously don't know the in's and out's and with Whelan ....bloke loves to speak but if it's as simple as he states, just pay up.

I'm still awaiting a response from you to the fact that I have posted on here subsequently to the interview that we were discussing. Before you start trying to have a go at someone for discussing an interview that a journalist has given on the radio tonight, explaining what the hold up is.

You Sir were implying that I was trying to claim ITK. I wasn't.

All I said is that someone has tweeted me that the fee had been put up to £14M.

I also clearly said IF THAT IS TRUE!

Firstly, I have only just come back to the thread. It wasn't meant to come across like I was having a go, not sure why I said "there you go" maybe it was because I hadn't seen any reports about £14 million, only £10 million. So sorry but it weren't meant to be aggressive. Was more of a "there you go".....as in 'we know what Wigan want...(10)'

and to be honest, I hadn't seen your previous posts, just the ...

I'm sorry but if someone tells me the price is £9M + add ons & I offer to pay it especially as that was the bid accepted from SHA last January as The Don quite rightly says...... and then you're told ..oh sorry the price has now gone up to £14M??!!!

I honestly hadn't read any other, so just reading that does look like a fact rather than opinion so to be honest, when you said £14 million, I was wondering where you was getting it from. (I see now)

At least it's now in out and open how Whelan has dealed with this one, especially that he had made a 'gentlemen agreement' with the player that he would be sold for 9 million, maybe that makes people a bit more wary of dealing with him in the future.

That's fine then. no problem. .. we were also discussing the latest contradiction in press reports because The Mirror this morning was claiming N'Zogbia was the cause of the hold up being a greedy turd over wages and we'd given him an ultimatum.

it seems silly that the asking price is 10 mil yet we supposedly are putting in only a little less. i can understand negotiating and spending as little as possible on a player. it makes sense to start low and work your way up. but if you are initially going to offer so close to the asking price anyway (and reports the other day suggested our offer was actually 9.75 mil), it seems a bit pointless. if you are prepared to put up 90% of the asking price in opening offer, why dont you just stop messing about and offer them exactly what they want in the first place. its not a mega money deal where the final ten percent would be like another 5 or ten million.

an extra million is pretty small change these days, especially when you have 36 million in your pocket. you would think it would be worth paying to get him in quick- you would avoid any potential bidding war, give him a proper pre season, and combined with the given signing it would be good PR. villa splashing the cash looks better to potential signings and season ticket buyers than villa haggling over a small amount of money.

of course all that assumes wigan only want 10 mil. if they have suddenly upped it by a large amount then we are quite right to hold off and not give in.

of course all that assumes wigan only want 10 mil. if they have suddenly upped it by a large amount then we are quite right to hold off and not give in.

well the quotes from whelan make it seem very much that 10m is the magic number, so here's hoping

Sounds to me very much like Whelan is just making a show in the press so he can say he played hardball and got the best price possible, it actually makes me more confident the deal is already nearly done.

When he was making a big show of announcing he was letting Martinez talk to Villa, he did so when he already knew Martinez was staying, to get the kudos. So if Whelan is saying "It’s £10m or there is no deal" to the press, it's probably because he knows we've already offered that much.