SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Why did we sell Downing for 20m "before" buying N'Zogbia(thinking we can get him on the cheap)..

Whelan sees Downing sold for 20m and people then think he will sell N'Zogbia for half the price?

Not a great way to do business on Villa's side! We have basically set the price for N'Zogbia..

If we get him for £10m we will have a good replacement for Downing for half of what we sold him for.

However I'm concerned about the talk of not replacing Young and also not replacing Cuellar if he's sold.

I agree with this and can't believe people are not questioning it more?

Sure if it happens it's a great bit of business comparing Downing but it is as if the fact we've sold Young has just been brushed under the carpet? We'll still be one of our top players down from last season?

No-one apart from Randy Lerner, Alex McLeish & Paul Faulkner know who our targets are and how far along with any deals we are.

Lets not panic just yet, there is plenty of time to get things done. Like the Bent deal, from when the news broke, all done and dusted within 48hrs.

The papers, Sky Sports, Mat Kendrick, the fans...none of them have got a clue who we're after.

I agree and as yet I'm not packing too much.

However it would be nice to read an article about a player we're linked with that doesn't mention how little funding we will have when really nobody knows.

The fact is we need to get N'Zogbia in ASAP (today if possible as I'd imagine most of the ground work is done) and then we need to replace NRC, Young & the outgoing Cuellar.

I really hope that AMC is allowed to do this.

Why did we sell Downing for 20m "before" buying N'Zogbia(thinking we can get him on the cheap)..

Whelan sees Downing sold for 20m and people then think he will sell N'Zogbia for half the price?

Not a great way to do business on Villa's side! We have basically set the price for N'Zogbia..

Think this through..

From January, the entire footballing world has known that Ashley Young would be leaving AVFC and that we'd recoup £15m+ for him.

Since May, the entire footballing world has known that it was likely Stuart Downing would leave and that we'd recoup £15m+ for him.

Whelan is no fool. Whether we'd bid for N'Zogbia before the sales of Young and Downing, he would still have known that he was a replacement for one of those players.

If people think Whelan was willing to accept 9m the day before Downing was sold but changed his valuation based on reading the BBC Sport website, they are doing him a huge disservice. The man is a self made millionaire - he doesn't make kneejerk decisions.

Think this through..

From January, the entire footballing world has known that Ashley Young would be leaving AVFC and that we'd recoup £15m+ for him.

Since May, the entire footballing world has known that it was likely Stuart Downing would leave and that we'd recoup £15m+ for him.

Whelan is no fool. Whether we'd bid for N'Zogbia before the sales of Young and Downing, he would still have known that he was a replacement for one of those players.

If people think Whelan was willing to accept 9m the day before Downing was sold but changed his valuation based on reading the BBC Sport website, they are doing him a huge disservice. The man is a self made millionaire - he doesn't make kneejerk decisions.

Hit, nail, head

I agree with Gazton...

The price of the fudge seems to have depended very much on WHO was wanting to purchase the bar of chocolate!

Everton, SAFC & NUFC £9M...

Randy Lerner & Co.... Ah well that's a different matter...

Think this through..

Young sold for 15-16m and you could fairly say N'Zogbia based on that sale would be worth in the region of 9-11m?

Yet Downing selling for 20m could alter the price of N'Zogbia further,maybe 12-15m?

Businessmen do make quick decissions based on the current market..I wouldnt call it knee jerk mind.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/19/aston-villa-alex-mcleish-to-look-at-other-wingers-97319-29079622/2/

this article says that mcleish will now look at other wingers as villa are frustrated and both sides are unwilling to back down. mcgeady goes to the top of the list.

Look elsewhere? Where the hell are we going to find another winger of equal quality for £10M? Spartak will ask alot more than £10M for McGeady and he's shit anyway!

:evil:

Think this through..

Young sold for 15-16m and you could fairly say N'Zogbia based on that sale would be worth in the region of 9-11m?

Yet Downing selling for 20m could alter the price of N'Zogbia further,maybe 12-15m?

Businessmen do make quick decissions based on the current market..I wouldnt call it knee jerk mind.

Downing has 2 years on his contract, N'Zogbia one. Downing's value after this season was always going to be £20+ million, nothing has changed.

I think this is done and Whelan is just being a media whore. I am guessing here but we have probably made a 9m bid in our usual manner, discretely.

Whelan decides that rather than advise Villa he wants 10 million by phone or fax, he will do his talking via Sky Sports. PF will probably give him a call and say, fine, heres your 10 milllion and we get to talk to NZogbia. The only irritant is that once again, Whelan has blabbed his gob off and the world knows how much we have spent.

Apart from that, not much to see and I think this will go ahead.

I totally agree, I personally think even personal terms have been agreed. Whelan has just decided to try his luck and fair play to him, I belive the ongoing discussions is now reaching a compromise, I dont see this one falling through.

Think this through..

Downing has 2 years on his contract, N'Zogbia one. Downing's value after this season was always going to be £20+ million, nothing has changed.

Yes but whelan knows we have 20m quid in our back pockets from the sale of Downing..And we want to buy a ready made replacement for half the price? Whelan aint stupid and because we have already sold Downing he will understand that the desperation of the purchase has somewhat increased on Villa's pespective..

Yet had we put in a bid whilst we still had Downing, maybe the purchase would have looked like a replacement for 15-16m Young? And a less desperate purchase as we already had Downing and Albrighton..

Yet had we put in a bid whilst we still had Downing, maybe the purchase would have looked like a replacement for 15-16m Young? And a less desperate purchase as we already had Downing and Albrighton..

Everyone knew Downing was off.. They've known that since late April/early May.

Unless we had bid before end of April, Whelan would have been aware that we were losing Downing and Young and looking to replace them before they left.

And here's a spanner for your work - if we had bought N'Zogbia before selling Downing, wouldn't that have given a signal to Liverpool that if the held firm at £15million, we'd be desperate to sell as we'd be overloaded in that position?

Yes but whelan knows we have 20m quid in our back pockets from the sale of Downing..And we want to buy a ready made replacement for half the price? Whelan aint stupid and because we have already sold Downing he will understand that the desperation of the purchase has somewhat increased on Villa's pespective..

But Whelan also needs to sell and I don't see any other club willing to offer more than us and match the Zog's wage demands?

But Whelan also needs to sell and I don't see any other club willing to offer more than us and match the Zog's wage demands?

Funny you should mention that... it's now being reported in the press that Bruce has pulled out over price tag & wage demands.

Oh dear Mr Whelan what to do.....