Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't think his record really says much for him but never mind.

To put it simply, I ain't convinced.

By that theory you were not convinced by MON also?

Houllier along with some shit has also won stuff, more than MON?

If Houllier achieves what the previous manager did for us he'll have done an excellent job.

Lets have the debate over who is/was the better manager in three/four years time.

I tell you what really is interesting, it is who will be his assistant as I suspect that person will be managing us in the not too distant future
Why?

I just feel that in two or so years Houllier may just stand down and hand over the reigns to a younger man. Personally I feel Lerner is trying to do with this appointment something that he didn't do last time (and what basically gave us / him the problems) and that is put a succession plan in place

Possibly covered in the thread already or in the news somewhere but a mate of mine is a Boro fan just told me that Villa have made an approach for Mcallister. No idea where he saw/heard it.

Being reported on 5-live according to the twitterati.

**Edited to clarify - 5-live were suggesting it was going to be announced today but this has since been denied.

This from the Express and Start todayshould give some more background (if it is to be believed).

Gary McAllister will move a step closer to becoming Villa’s new assistant manager today by telling Gordon Strachan he plans to quit Middlesbrough.

Sources in the North-East have confirmed Boro are already resigned to McAllister’s departure, with the Scot desperate to link up with new Villa boss Gerard Houllier after enjoying a successful spell under him as a player at Liverpool.

Strachan, who confirmed “interest” from Villa on Monday, will hold talks with McAllister today but will not stand in the way of the former Coventry manager moving to Villa Park.

McAllister is the fourth person to be offered the post after Phil Thompson, Patrice Bergues and current caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald all turned it down.

Another one of Houllier’s former midfielders at Liverpool, Dietmar Hamann, was also believed to be in the running but the German, currently a player-coach at MK Dons, is eager to continue his playing career for as long as possible.

MacDonald has been at the helm since Martin O’Neill quit five days before the start of the campaign and will again be in charge for Saturday’s Bolton clash.

Having missed Monday’s game at Stoke, Houllier – who is currently in his homeland finalising his exit from the French Football Federation – is expected to take a watching brief from the stands at the weekend.

Although unable to offer any concrete guarantees, his first game in charge is currently pencilled in for the Carling Cup clash against Blackburn a week today and the Frenchman will want McAllister alongside him in the Villa Park dugout for that game.

And captain Stiliyan Petrov says the Villa dressing room are looking forward to a chaotic spell at the club coming to an end.

He said: “It is complicated. Complicated for the new manager, complicated for Kev, but there is a solution and we will see the new manager soon. He has been at the top level for a long time. He knows what he needs to do.

“Are the players looking forward to stability? Yes.”

Would prefer Hamann to Mcallister

Think we'd all prefer that this whole affair had never happened (certainly not in the way that it did) but I guess we'll have to wait and see how effective the changes are, eh?

I tell you what really is interesting, it is who will be his assistant as I suspect that person will be managing us in the not too distant future
Why?

I just feel that in two or so years Houllier may just stand down and hand over the reigns to a younger man. Personally I feel Lerner is trying to do with this appointment something that he didn't do last time (and what basically gave us / him the problems) and that is put a succession plan in place

Would that not entail Randy deciding Gerard's no.2? Do you think he would have, for example, vetoed Patrice Bergues if Gerard was able to get him in?

It may well be the case that the number two if it is indeed Gary McAllister might be given the opportunity - who knows - but I think any accession would be - after a provisional spell - ala Ricky Sbregia at Sunderland who was given a short 18 month contract after replacing Roy Keane, and as it happened left at the end of the season. IMO of course.

I think Hamann still wants to play hence why he's staying there.

I see he has only recently signed a 1 year player coaching deal with MK Dons, he may choose to join up with us at the end of the season when his contract expires.

Would that not entail Randy deciding Gerard's no.2?
No I do not think so.

For example, Houllier could have been given the terms of reference "when you put your backroom team together it is your choice entirely but you have to put people in place who can carry on your good work at the club, we want to build a dynasty now and you are the start of it"

No I do not think so.

For example, Houllier could have been given the terms of reference "when you put your backroom team together it is your choice entirely but you have to put people in place who can carry on your good work at the club, we want to build a dynasty now and you are the start of it"

Martin Laursen anyone?

Hamann was on Irish tv during the world cup and if you could understand his half german half scoucer accent he came across as a lad with a lot of knowledge of the game. Think he would be a great asset and hopefually we could get him in somewhere down the line.

While McAllister hasnt a great managers record, its a whole new ball game as a Assistant Manager. Think he would do a good job also.

Just lets get it sorted soon

No I do not think so.

I think Houllier has a longer role to play at the club than just his spell as manager as long as he does a good job but I don't believe for one minute his choice of number 2 will be anything other than that, a selection of an assistant.

His first choice was Phil Thompson, he certainly wasn't a potential future manager and his next choice was his number two at Liverpool and once again the same applies, his next choice appears to be Macallister so while he has been a manager I wouldn't read anything into it.

Â