Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

I'm loathe to mention O'Neill but I will say this for his record - I was more impressed by his work with Leicester than Celtic, and I find his wins with Leicester more impressive than Houllier's with Liverpool, simply because winning something with Leicester is an achievement and a half, winning something with Liverpool is almost expected as one of the countries biggest sides.

So beating Scarborough, York, Ipswich, Wimbledon, Boro and a United team containing Thornley, O'Kane, Casper and Clegg is more impressive than winning the UEFA cup by beating Olympiacos, Roma, Porto, Alaves and a Barca team containing the likes of Overmars, Rivaldo, Kluivert, Puyol & De Boer.

I think you're really clutching at straws.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So beating Scarborough, York, Ipswich, Wimbledon, Boro and a United team containing Thornley, O'Kane, Casper and Clegg is more impressive than winning the UEFA cup by beating Olympiacos, Roma, Porto, Alaves and a Barca team containing the likes of Overmars, Rivaldo, Kluivert, Puyol & De Boer.

I think you're really clutching at straws.

What about the 2000 win? Actually never mind, I'm obviously wrong. Apologies all that I've offended.

Lyon dominated France for years, because they had the money and they had the players, it wasn't difficult to win things with them. It'd be like a slightly better standard of Scottish football but with one of Rangers or Celtic vanished off the face of the earth. Anyone not incompetent could have won the title with them. It's only as their team has aged, and other clubs have truly gotten their act together, that Lyon have fallen away somewhat. I doubt it'll be too long before they are back. Regardless, winning things from them isn't that difficult.

He won the title with PSG BEFORE he took over Liverpool too, just for your information.

Other than that , i have nothing to add to the debate. You don't debate people who already have their minds up with a concrete agenda so I am sitting out this one.

No offence Chindie ;)

Large plates of humble pie being stacked up here, I think.

The main interest will be to see who has to eat it - those asserting he will win trophies or those insisting he won't.

It won't necessarily be in his hands - much depends on what the rather vague "sell to buy" policy mentioned but not implemented by the owner and Chief Executive in the summer (unless you count Milner as an example of it) actually turns out to mean in practice.

Who knows Briny, who knows.

From Houllier's opening words I'm not expecting much to happen in January which means by the time the summer arrives we will have gone two years without investing in the squad. I don't think much progression can be expected in those circumstances no matter who is in charge.

yeah i agree ash. houlliers comments about not seeing janaury as a time to spend money was concerning. but i dont see why he would take the job if there was no money available.

if randy has no money left to throw in, fine no one will blame you but then find investors who will. or look at selling up. we cant go on not spending a penny we will go back to teh dark ellis days and our players like young, gabby and dunney will go

by the time the summer arrives we will have gone two years without investing in the squad. I don't think much progression can be expected in those circumstances no matter who is in charge.

Top point.

Sell to buy is all well and good but when you do no buying ether it becomes difficult to take the team forward until there comes a point when you have to spend shed loads to catch up again

Think you'll find I mentioned his success with PSG as well, MWMG.

And you needn't worry on the debate side, I'm with you now, I was obviously wrong.

haha , I am pretty sure you are not :winkold: And apologies as I didn't see you mention PSG in your post.

But, at the end of the day , I am sure you will be as happy as me if we do well and play some decent football :D

The main interest will be to see who has to eat it - those asserting he will win trophies or those insisting he won't.

Nobody has to eat 'humble pie' here. This is not about scoring points mate , it is about wanting the best for the club. Disagreements definitely will arise on what actually is the best for the club , but the goal is the same.

fine no one will blame you but then find investors who will. or look at selling up. we cant go on not spending a penny we will go back to teh dark ellis days and our players like young, gabby and dunney will go

:clap:

Â