Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

You can't on the one hand apply (or extend) that label to a fellow Villa fan CVB, and then try to claim the moral high ground.

You are probably in a minority in so far as you seem to be so forgiving of MON departing when he did. Possibly because you initially blamed the board and -having set that position- now feel you can't backtrack.

O'Neill did a solid job. Delivered results (though not often performances) about par for the money spent, and occasionally looked like he could deliver a form of success. However his limitations -be that an almost neurotic fear of changing tactics ( or fear of change in general) did for him in the end. That and an outdated, almost agricultural approach to football.

The hope is that GH can drag us kicking and screaming into the 21st century. His trophy haul far exceeds that of MON and his name carries more weight on the continent. It could be a crucial stage in our development. I truly hope it is, rather than another wasted opportunity.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Neill did a solid job. Delivered results (though not often performances) about par for the money spent, and occasionally looked like he could deliver a form of success. However his limitations -be that an almost neurotic fear of changing tactics ( or fear of change in general) did for him in the end. That and an outdated, almost agricultural approach to football.

The hope is that GH can drag us kicking and screaming into the 21st century. His trophy haul far exceeds that of MON and his name carries more weight on the continent. It could be a crucial stage in our development. I truly hope it is, rather than another wasted opportunity.

Sums up my feelings on the events of the past month very well. Overall I'm glad that this change has come and we can have a fresh start.

Geniune question (not to make a point, I just don't know the answer):

In peoples opinions, is Houllier likely to make tactical changes during a match? I don't mean going a second goal down after 60 minutes and then throwing on 3 subs just to try something different, I mean something like spotting our fullback getting beat too many times and changing the formation and or player(s) to sort it out.

The reason I ask is, despite supporting MON whilst he was with us, I did get frustrated at the lack of a 'plan B'.

Yes was always very tactically astute.

Thanks for your opinion. :thumb:

It will be very interesting to see if he has funding in January to sign his own players.

How will we know? Many decent players who cost a fair bit of money are not available or even interested in a January move. If your question is related to is Randy still willing to spend 'big' on Villa, I don't think we'll find out for certain until 1/9/11.

My opinion on Houllier was that I thought his teams weren't that good and basically he over achieved with the players he had at his disposal. That has to be down to his tactical skills, and his level of planning for matches.

Basically he, on many occasions beat superior teams with better planning and tactical knowledge and decision making during matches.

It will be very interesting to see if he has funding in January to sign his own players.

This is the most important question for me. Very happy with the appointment, but will need the backing of Randy if he is to push us on.

I think that will happen, but i will be all ears with the news conference tomorrow.

I'm actually excited with what he can do with this team. Basically he's got this team for the season with maybe a signing in January but nothing big enough to make a huge impact. January is very hard to make signings in.

Lol at people saying no before he's had a chance.

To be fair the question was are you happy with his appointment. It's fair enough that some are not happy. I'm glad it's a low number because we need to support our new manager.

I'm sure the players have asked Carew what the new gaffer is like....somehow I can't see Big John praising the guy....

Did Carew not rate him highly in a Norweigan article a few weeks ago. I think 1 norweigan lads made an article about it where he rated all his former managers

I'm sure the players have asked Carew what the new gaffer is like....somehow I can't see Big John praising the guy....

Did Carew not rate him highly in a Norweigan article a few weeks ago. I think 1 norweigan lads made an article about it where he rated all his former managers

Came lower than MON, MON was only mid table iirc

Â