Stephen Ireland

Richard

he's been terrible thus far and nothing can cover that up.

Apart from the fact he's been carrying an injury since he arrived and been played out of position...other than that i agree.

What's his position then? :?

Behind the striker and he has not played there.

Apart from...

Chelsea, Sunderland, Blackburn, Liverpool, Burnley games.... :?

Check the team sheets, or well just think back to the actual games...he was playing attacking midfield, behind a striker.

:lol: Just because thats how Andy Gray shows it on his screen doesnt mean thats how they line up.

I would say he has pushed on as a CM and not played behind the striker.

No but had you watched the games, he's been off the striker. :?

Chelsea - Reo-Coker + Petrov behind him.

Liverpool - Hogg & Clark.

Blackburn - Bannan + Hogg

Sunderland - Petrov + Reo-Coker.

Burnley - Sidwell + Reo-Coker.

He was ALWAYS the most advanced midfielder whenever he's played under Houllier, he's always been close to the striker and in that hole.

He's always had the freedom to get forward, those midfield pairings tell the story.

Houllier said: "He won't be playing in Ashley's position. I've done that before and it didn't work.

"So I'm not stupid, I'm not doing it again."

but of course...out of position....

So what are you trying to say?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's been terrible thus far and nothing can cover that up.

Apart from the fact he's been carrying an injury since he arrived and been played out of position...other than that i agree.

What's his position then? :?

Behind the striker and he has not played there.

Apart from...

Chelsea, Sunderland, Blackburn, Liverpool, Burnley games.... :?

Check the team sheets, or well just think back to the actual games...he was playing attacking midfield, behind a striker.

:lol: Just because thats how Andy Gray shows it on his screen doesnt mean thats how they line up.

I would say he has pushed on as a CM and not played behind the striker.

No but had you watched the games, he's been off the striker. :?

Chelsea - Reo-Coker + Petrov behind him.

Liverpool - Hogg & Clark.

Blackburn - Bannan + Hogg

Sunderland - Petrov + Reo-Coker.

Burnley - Sidwell + Reo-Coker.

He was ALWAYS the most advanced midfielder whenever he's played under Houllier, he's always been close to the striker and in that hole.

He's always had the freedom to get forward, those midfield pairings tell the story.

Houllier said: "He won't be playing in Ashley's position. I've done that before and it didn't work.

"So I'm not stupid, I'm not doing it again."

but of course...out of position....

So what are you trying to say?

He's played in his proper position and hasn't performed. In fact, after the Sunderland game he said...."We put him in at Sunderland behind the striker and he needs to get hold of the ball and play."

So I'd guess the manager knows more about his own team selections...

Ok he hasnt played well in his position (he may have played there but hasnt been given a licence to roam and create like he had at Man City without worrying about defensive duties), that still doesnt explain why he has been playing with an injury.

Had high hopes for Ireland, what exactly is going on with him.??

If he actually applied himself over the last few months and made more of an effort he could have played behind Bent with Young and Downing on the wings, which in my opinion is a more balanced team to tthe one we put out against Man City.

I think Ireland is injured at the moment, due back in just over a week, should be fit for the United game. I'm really hoping Bent coming in gives him as an individual a lift to get going again in Claret and Blue. As a lot of us are saying, of course he's a really talented player and he should add to that list of good attacking options we have. At the start of next season I would say a fully fit and firing Bent, Young, Downing, Albrighton, Gabby, Heskey, Delph, Delfouneso and Ireland would be a formidable Premier League force.

Ireland can have a fantastic future with us I'm sure. If we can just hang on to him this month, and he comes in and has a few good games before May.

I would still desperately love to see this lad find his form.

I don't know the ins and outs..... but he can be a real talent.

PS some need a kick up the arse.....i think he might need a cuddle.

This one really has me in two minds.

On the one hand, you just look at it that it's a move that hasn't worked out for him, and he just needs to be moved on as he is earning too big a wage to sit on our bench every week.

But I can't help thinking that there is a player in there, who can produce moments of magic. It's been a difficult season for us both on and off the pitch, so it is difficult to come in and produce top form. You've got all this talk about bringing in Charlie Adam, yet we've got a player who is potentially better IMO already on our books.

Ideally, I'd like to see him go out on loan, it gets his wages off the books for 4 months and then we can look at things again in the summer.

It was meant in jest, but a fine observation. Although I hear chauffeurs and Ipads cost quite a bit these days.

I've been thinking, with Bent joining us, we really are crying out for Ireland to get his act together and give GH no choice but to give him some game time. He could be spraying balls out left right and centre to Bent and the wideboyz and we'd be creating all sorts of chances.

C'mon son, get your shit together son.

I've been thinking, with Bent joining us, we really are crying out for Ireland to get his act together and give GH no choice but to give him some game time. He could be spraying balls out left right and centre to Bent and the wideboyz and we'd be creating all sorts of chances.

C'mon son, get your shit together son.

Totally agree with this!!

im beginning to think we should cut our losses and sell him to whoever will take him. sure, we may lose a few million on the transfer fee but he's currently costing us £62,000 a week which equates to over 3 million a year.

on the other hand, i really feel as though he only needs one good display to really get going. seemingly he's been incredibly low on confidence and GH publicly berating him won't have done much to improve his fragile state of mind.