Stephen Ireland

Richard

I don't see where he'd fit in at Bolton to be honest. Elmander and Davies are nailed on every game as are Holden and Muamba. I wouldn't break that up to put Ireland in.

Always think it could have been different if he had scored when he scewed the shot just wide (can't remember which game it was). But other than that shown nothing in the game time he has had.

£4m would be a decent move for us.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland has shown no respect for Aston Villa, the club, the fans , the mangement.

He obviously does not want to be at the club and the sooner he **** off the better.

There are people an here saying what a fantastic player he is based on a supposed half decent decent season 2 YEARS AGO!!

'Give him a chance'.

'He will be great now that Bents here'.

Wake up - he is not the messiah. He has done nothing to justify those statements.

He is a waste of time and space....get rid.....if some poor schmuck will take him off us, which I doubt.

Apart from his playing, I think the other main problem is his wages, he's maybe the second highest paid player at the club?

If he stays at AV, he's going to need to start showing he's worth that sort of money, if he don't I can only see it unsettling other players who are picking up less wages than him, yet they're putting a shift in.

I can't see him playing anywhere other than where Ashley's playing now, does that mean he'll be used a backup player? That's an expensive backup player in wage terms.

I was all for him coming here as part of the Milner deal as he does have the eye for a pass, but I'm not so sure now.

Ireland has shown no respect for Aston Villa, the club, the fans , the mangement.

He obviously does not want to be at the club and the sooner he **** off the better.

There are people an here saying what a fantastic player he is based on a supposed half decent decent season 2 YEARS AGO!!

'Give him a chance'.

Wake up - he is not the messiah. He has done nothing to justify those statements.

He is a waste of time and space....get rid.....if some poor schmuck will take him off us, which I doubt.

I fail to see how he's shown a lack of respect. I think he's kept a dignidied silence in general. If you're talking about his performances, then I think if you consider his mindset when he joined and the comments of our manager then his performances are hardly surprising. And even considering that we've had worse players (Pires, notably) who keep getting places in the team and on the bench ahead of him.

Unless Villa can get a very good creative attacking midfielder in this transer window, then sell or loan him out. But if we can't get anyone, then keep him and give another shot for him with Bent in front, if he doesn't pick up his playing -> sell him during summer.

Beside LB, Villa -really- needs a creative playmaker who can pass the ball.

'Give him a chance'.

I fail to see how he's shown a lack of respect. I think he's kept a dignidied silence in general. If you're talking about his performances, then I think if you consider his mindset when he joined and the comments of our manager then his performances are hardly surprising. And even considering that we've had worse players (Pires, notably) who keep getting places in the team and on the bench ahead of him.

Zero effort + zero passion + £80k per week = complete lack of respect and a complete taking of the piss in my book.

Zero effort + zero passion + £80k per week = complete lack of respect and a complete taking of the piss in my book.

So if he was on £40k per week it would be OK to show a lack of passion? £20k? What's the cut off for passion exactly?

I think talk of passion is generally bullshit, and fans come out with it when they are frustrated with a player's performances. I don't think the way he plays is due to a lack of passion at all (if anything I'd say he has too much passion to succeed). I think partly it's just his style, and partly it's a lack of confidence to a) the way he was treated by our manager, and B) his generally fragile mental state.

B) is a weakness for Ireland, I agree entirely, but I don't think it's something he would be slagged off for, and it certainly isn't something that a slagging off will improve.

I'd give him a real second chance, he could seem like a new signing if brought back into the mix of things. He might be able to work really well with a proper DM like Makoun behind, and slide a few passes in for Bent to slot away. Probably deserves more of a chance here from the bench or in the cup.

then I think if you consider his mindset when he joined and the comments of our manager then his performances are hardly surprising

Yeah. Its Houlliers fault that Ireland is shite.

Well clearly that's not what I said, but feel free to only quote me selectively just to make whatever point you like.

I do feel Houllier's treatment of him when he joined is part of the reason why he hasn't performed very well for us though. And the £24m signing of Darren Bent won't alter that.

Well clearly that's not what I said, but feel free to only quote me selectively just to make whatever point you like.

OK fair enough...

I do feel Houllier's treatment of him when he joined is part of the reason why he hasn't performed very well for us though

Eh??

I don't see where he'd fit in at Bolton to be honest. Elmander and Davies are nailed on every game as are Holden and Muamba. I wouldn't break that up to put Ireland in.

Always think it could have been different if he had scored when he scewed the shot just wide (can't remember which game it was). But other than that shown nothing in the game time he has had.

Incidentally, it was Bolton.

Incidentally, it was Bolton.

Chelsea...

I do feel Houllier's treatment of him when he joined is part of the reason why he hasn't performed very well for us though

Eh??

What I said. Houllier publically slated Ireland, and I think that is part of the reason why Ireland has failed to perform for us.

He had a couple of quiet performances before Houllier came, but the whole team was in turmoil remember, and he wasn't anywhere near the only one playing badly then. I think he just needed a run of a few games in the team to find his feet and an arm around his shoulder. Circumstances, and then Houllier's outburst, left him little chance of succeeding. I wish him luck wherever he goes.

The best thing for Ireland and Villa is he goes nowhere in January. For all the clamour about Adam, lets not forget we have Ireland and Delph in our own squad - the envy of most in the prem. Hopefully we will can now kick-on and get a few results, and settle into a system and if he stays put and knuckles down his chance will come when we are not fighting for every point. I think Bent and Makoun's arrival, together with a renewed feel-good factor will work wonders on his fragile mind-set.

The best thing for Ireland and Villa is he goes nowhere in January. For all the clamour about Adam, lets not forget we have Ireland and Delph in our own squad - the envy of most in the prem. Hopefully we will can now kick-on and get a few results, and settle into a system and if he stays put and knuckles down his chance will come when we are not fighting for every point. I think Bent and Makoun's arrival, together with a renewed feel-good factor will work wonders on his fragile mind-set.

Agree with all of that.

I agree that hes not really had a fair crack at the whip, but the position we're in ATM, we cany afford to be playing im and hoping that hes anymore than a passenger.

I think if we string a few results together and move away from the danger zone we could maybe start looking to use him more. But saying that i honestly wouldnt be bothered if he were sold