Stephen Ireland

Richard

He has been poor so far but the same can be said of many this season.

There's a MASSIVE difference between being out of form and playing badly and not giving a flying ****.

I can forgive anyone a bad game, or things just not going their way on the pitch. But I can never forgive anyone just not trying their best.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a MASSIVE difference between being out of form and playing badly and not giving a flying ****.

I can forgive anyone a bad game, or things just not going their way on the pitch. But I can never forgive anyone just not trying their best.

like Carew I guess.

like Carew I guess.

Yes.

At the end of the day Houllier only sees Ireland's position as the hole behind the striker but Ashley Young is better and will always play there over him. Would any of you be happy if he dropped Young for Ireland? I don't think Ash would be either.

At the end of the day Houllier only sees Ireland's position as the hole behind the striker but Ashley Young is better and will always play there over him. Would any of you be happy if he dropped Young for Ireland? I don't think Ash would be either.

No. Then again, you can understand Houllier's point of view because he obviously knows how he wants to play and he's been saddled with a misfit or doesnt fit into his system

See, this is not the Ireland I've seen. This is the Ireland we've been told we should be seeing, but that doesn't make it a fact. I thought in his last two appearences (Arsenal and Blackburn?) he gave a good showing, worked as hard as anyone and played one or two magnificant passes and generaly showed more vision than the rest combined. Nothing spectacular, but there were signs.

Maybe we need a bit more stability right now than he can offer, which is fine by me. But I hope he get's another chance, infact I'm sure he will. Because Houllier for all his faults (of which there are many), is not a guy that holds a grudge.

Up to Stephen Ireland really.

No. Then again, you can understand Houllier's point of view because he obviously knows how he wants to play and he's been saddled with a misfit or doesnt fit into his system

Ireland ain't a missfit, Krancjar can't get into the Tottenham first team, does that make him a misfit/shit? When he's recovered from this injury I fully expect Houllier to give Ireland a chance, it's all about fighting for your place

I don't think 'Oh diddums' is a particularly helpful reponse to mental problems myself, so I think we're always going to disagree. But as I said, even if you have no sympathy at all, Houllier's actions were still stupid because he was devaluing an £8m asset as well as depriving us of a potentially useful player. You think there are no other prima donas in football who need to be treated in a certain way to get the best out of them? I think you'd be way out if you do, and any really good manager would know how to maximise rather than destroy their assets.

Ireland ain't a missfit, Krancjar can't get into the Tottenham first team, does that make him a misfit/shit? When he's recovered from this injury I fully expect Houllier to give Ireland a chance, it's all about fighting for your place

Sorry but for me this is slightly absurd. Kranjcar is being kept out of a very impressive side by internationals playing at the top of their game. When Kranjcar has played he has done well barring a few occasions. Ireland is being kept off our bench by kids who themselves are being kept out of the team by kids. When he has played, he has played shite. The situations are totally different. He couldn't BE any lower in the pecking order and given that we don't see the training sessions I imagine he only has himself to blame.

Sorry but for me this is slightly absurd. Kranjcar is being kept out of a very impressive side by internationals playing at the top of their game. When Kranjcar has played he has done well barring a few occasions. Ireland is being kept off our bench by kids who themselves are being kept out of the team by kids. When he has played, he has played shite. The situations are totally different. He couldn't BE any lower in the pecking order and given that we don't see the training sessions I imagine he only has himself to blame.

Since he's been here he has always carried a knee injury. Whenever he's played he has always been played in CM. He is not a CM. He is a CAM. If you played Ashley Young in CM in place of Milner everyone would start to call him shit too as everyone would cut straight through our midfield. When Ireland has played he has shown glimpses of class but how can you place a pass into space when the kids who have played aren't technically clever enough to get into that space? The only person who has the vision for a pass into space is Bannan, and he was never playing with him. Now all of our players are back and we have a quality striker who will make the runs into space, Ireland will get a chance.

Maybe so, if he has I'll stand corrected as I remember a few of his appearances in CM that's all. Whenever Young comes back he is always going to be one of the first names on the teamsheet so it's just unfortunate that he's got a better player in his position.

Since he's been here he has always carried a knee injury. Whenever he's played he has always been played in CM. He is not a CM. He is a CAM. If you played Ashley Young in CM in place of Milner everyone would start to call him shit too as everyone would cut straight through our midfield. When Ireland has played he has shown glimpses of class but how can you place a pass into space when the kids who have played aren't technically clever enough to get into that space? The only person who has the vision for a pass into space is Bannan, and he was never playing with him. Now all of our players are back and we have a quality striker who will make the runs into space, Ireland will get a chance.

I agree, Ireland is too much of a technically gifted player to just dismiss cause he hasn't had the best of starts. Hope GH gives him the chance to prove himself when he is fit, maybe playing in the same team as the likes of Bent, Young, Downing and Makoun will let him show his qualities more. Need the support of the fans too.

He played AM vs Chelsea, Sunderland, Blackburn Liverpool, Burnley....so he has had chances in that position.

I would say that in most of them games he was playing more as a centre forward, certainly in the Burnley game he was as he was up front with Ashley Young.

The only game of them where it looked like he started out as a attacking midfielder was against Liverpool.

I think he'd do well with Makoun in the side because Makoun is the kind of player who has potential to be the 90 minute engine for the team, if Ireland loses the ball there's protection behind him who is almost guaranteed to clear up the mess as he'll be all around the pitch. Ireland will come good if he stays, believe me, he's too good of a player to just let go and he will come back and bite us if we let him go to someone like Everton (Moyes can easily sort him out and he'll get 10 goals a season there)

I'd really love Ireland to start playing some games. Problem is I'd rather him come out say he's not settling in here so we can ship him out. If he wants to stay he should work harder for his place. If Ash DOES go it'll makeway for him but at the moment if Hou is only going to play him behind the striker there's no chance for him because we have so much option in midfield. WOW, when was the last time we could say that??

but he has been given a fair chance. Infact he's played the same amount of league games as Heskey this season.

I'd say:

Vienna, Bolton, Newcastle, Chelsea, Sunderland, Burnley, Blackburn, Liverpool......from starts...without a single 'good performance'....yeah we've seen small glimses but he's not been nowhere near good enough.