Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were playing someone like Torquay in the cup, I would have suggested GH play him with Bent, if only to see if theres some sort of connection between the two of them (a la robinho).

As it is, we are'nt and I'm struggling to think of a game that is'nt important now to play him in.

At the end of the day if Ireland applies himself and proves himself worthy of a recall then Houllier will

bring him back in.

I don't believe for a second that he has any sort of vendetta against him, he just doesn't deserve to

be in and around the first team.

Hahahaha... has anyone else seen/not seen this?

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czechs, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. Staunton quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced, and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.[23]

Ireland eventually came out with the truth, admitting he had invented a reason to leave the Irish team in order to visit his girlfriend in Cork, who, he claimed, had had a miscarriage. "I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies," Ireland said. "I realise now it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it."[24] However this too was found out to be another fabricated story, Stephen Ireland has to his day refuses to comment (radio interview with 'bbc sport-talk') on why he couldn't control his fibs. Further deception was invoked by the cork man when he refused to admit that he at the time did not even have a girlfriend or a granny or even an uncle to which he claimed was recently divorced from a granny in-law to which he also did not have.

The man will come good... he is too good to just let go easily. One day he'll get a chance and will prove everyone wrong, he's just finding it difficult to settle in a different area to where he's lived all his life.

I thought he still lived in the same place that he did when he played for Man City?

Unless he's moved recently because he had a photoshoot in his house for some Irish magazine just after he moved to Villa and it was the same one he's lived in for years.

The man will come good... he is too good to just let go easily. One day he'll get a chance and will prove everyone wrong, he's just finding it difficult to settle in a different area to where he's lived all his life.

I thought he still lived in the same place that he did when he played for Man City?

Unless he's moved recently because he had a photoshoot in his house for some Irish magazine just after he moved to Villa and it was the same one he's lived in for years.

Nah he lives around this area now, if you watch the interview when he came he says the player liason officer is going to help him move and settle into the area.

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czechs, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. Staunton quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced, and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.[23]

Ireland eventually came out with the truth, admitting he had invented a reason to leave the Irish team in order to visit his girlfriend in Cork, who, he claimed, had had a miscarriage. "I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies," Ireland said. "I realise now it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it."[24] However this too was found out to be another fabricated story, Stephen Ireland has to his day refuses to comment (radio interview with 'bbc sport-talk') on why he couldn't control his fibs. Further deception was invoked by the cork man when he refused to admit that he at the time did not even have a girlfriend or a granny or even an uncle to which he claimed was recently divorced from a granny in-law to which he also did not have.

Rory Delap's throw ins are quite long too, didnt you know? :flag:

Theres better.

You wont believe me, but weve just signed Darren Bent :winkold:

Nah he lives around this area now, if you watch the interview when he came he says the player liason officer is going to help him move and settle into the area.

I think that is incredibly positive, personally. At least it shows a level of commitment to move to the area. If he didn't want to be at Villa, he'd have stayed in Manchester area and got his move by now.

I think that is incredibly positive, personally. At least it shows a level of commitment to move to the area. If he didn't want to be at Villa, he'd have stayed in Manchester area and got his move by now.

There is no doubt about it he wants to be a Villa player and wants to help us get away from the bottom but with someone like Ashley Young playing his position he's not going to get any further than the bench... decent player to have on the bench to come off for the last 20 minutes if he's not injured anymore though. Just a shame he's not been given a real chance and a run of consecutive games... Warnock was played for months of being shit before he was dropped ffs

Yeah that's because we had **** all proper competition for Warnock, Ireland was playing bad and we had plenty of other better options.

He's been given chances and hasn't performed, that's his fault not anyone else's. Heskey has played the same amount of games as his and he hasn't done badly.

I think you're being a tad harsh on the lad. Heskey has been in and around the club a lot longer and is more at home with the surroundings . Ireland has come into a new club, new faces, different playing style etc. Most players need time to adapt.....Why not Stephen Ireland?