Stephen Ireland

Richard

Bent was on £82k a week at Spurs & at the time was one of the highest paid footballers in the world, are you telling me he took a 52k a week hit to join Sunderland.

Complete nonsense, Spurs highest earner is on around half of that

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, he's the only player we have in our squad that could consistently find quick creative forward passes that unlock defences. He needs match time and confidence (hopefullly the two will go hand in hand if he starts to perform) but given the lack of creativity in the rest of the central midfielders we have it's worth the risk in my opinion. That said I think he needs to play with two central midfielders behind him, I'd like to see him in the current formation in place of Heskey.

For me, he's the only player we have in our squad that could consistently find quick creative forward passes that unlock defences. He needs match time and confidence (hopefullly the two will go hand in hand if he starts to perform) but given the lack of creativity in the rest of the central midfielders we have it's worth the risk in my opinion. That said I think he needs to play with two central midfielders behind him, I'd like to see him in the current formation in place of Heskey.

I would like to see this too, but I think for the Wolves game Heskey should start. Get Ireland in against Everton.

I don't understand the people slating Ireland especially the ones who went to the game on tuesday. Ok Ireland missed 2 good chances but he was dangerous all game. Which is start contrast to Barry Bannan who shows a few deft touches but with no end product.

I think he's only ever scored once for us. a tap in.

Ireland should play today over Bannan.

Ireland 157 appearances in all comps 27 goals, 1 in 5........bannan 67 apps 3 goals, 1 every 22 games, there is no question Ireland is far more dangerous then bannan.... Both players serve different purposes one will come on with ten to go to knock it about if were one up one wil come on with ten to go if were one down,

Ireland has everything bannan has and far more (grant bb is alot younger) and played a similar role that bannan does when he plays now for city under Pearce and Sven but is clearly instructed under big eck to play a little further forward where this tippy tappy style of football doesn't cut it because the players arent around you that high up the pitch, I can see Irelands commitment work rate and voice growing each game he plays, like any job commitment comes with empowerment and the more he plays I feel the more he'll grow into the team and role

I don't think McLeish is doing him any favours by branding him "world class" etc personally only to just leave him on the bench and it looks like Bannan is ahead of him (rightly so imo)

I also think he has some "untouchables" on the pitch.. no matter how they bad they play they will still be first choice I reckon.

Thing with Ireland it doesn't matter if he had a pre season or not he is not fit and will not be fully fit for awhile. His sharpness and muscle strength will take awhile to come. He always has niggling injuries. AM has stated that they have got him working with the fitness coaches to improve his conditioning. I reckon we will see a lot more of him as the season develops, we can't chuck in a player who hasnt played consistently for God knows how long and expect him to be at the level of Bent or someone in terms of fitness. I think AM is being complimentary of him in the press as he doesn't want him to feel as if he isn't in his first team plans and to give up in training, he wants him to get to the level he was before and is just sweetening him up. I think its good man management personally. Better then GH slagging him off!

Thing with Ireland it doesn't matter if he had a pre season or not he is not fit and will not be fully fit for awhile. His sharpness and muscle strength will take awhile to come. He always has niggling injuries. AM has stated that they have got him working with the fitness coaches to improve his conditioning. I reckon we will see a lot more of him as the season develops, we can't chuck in a player who hasnt played consistently for God knows how long and expect him to be at the level of Bent or someone in terms of fitness. I think AM is being complimentary of him in the press as he doesn't want him to feel as if he isn't in his first team plans and to give up in training, he wants him to get to the level he was before and is just sweetening him up. I think its good man management personally. Better then GH slagging him off!

But surely that fitness only comes playing games? He hasn't been sitting on his arse the last two years. I'm sure he's still been training etc. I've not overly criticised him but now I'm not too sure.

I don't think McLeish is doing him any favours by branding him "world class" etc personally only to just leave him on the bench and it looks like Bannan is ahead of him (rightly so imo)

I also think he has some "untouchables" on the pitch.. no matter how they bad they play they will still be first choice I reckon.

I agree about branding him world class but I dont buy the favourites yet, although if he continues to leave heskey on for so long i will ! :lol:

Agree with second part of your post, first part is rubbish, he played 90 during the week easily could of played 20 yesterday, large spells of possession where he defo would of created something

Now barcodes have got rid of Barton they must be looking fro someone in the centre. They can have Ireland for the same fee they got for Barton for me

considering they never played Ireland when he was there and they have Ben arfa back soon to be theri creative force he wont be going.

Ireland should be worried that McLeish sees Heskey in the No.10 role and not him

Agree with second part of your post, first part is rubbish, he played 90 during the week easily could have played 20 yesterday, large spells of possession where he defo would of created something

The only thing that Ireland has created during his time with us is this 235 page thread full of false hopes and dawns!

All we keep hearing is that he played well against Hereford and Walsall, well maybe the guy has found he own level! the club should be doing all they can to off load this player!