Stephen Ireland

Richard

I want to give him a chance because if we do sell him and he sorts his head out and becomes the player we know he can be then we will strengthen another side quite considerably.. I'd take a chance, one more season under a new manager and see how he does. I personally think Ireland and Bent linking up would be incredible...

A lot of Ireland's problem was that he's intelligent, the guy knows how to make a precise and well thought out pass. Yet when he came here he had to pass to Agbonlahor or Heskey and both of them barely know where the goal is let alone how to read a pass. Bent on the other hand his spacial awareness and ability to find space is second to none, with Ireland's adept passing we could be on to something IF we can get him playing well.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potentially a huge player for us imo!!

Thats the trouble with Ireland though, key word being potentially.

Keep him happy and he'll play and play well. He is like Darren Bent in that regard if he's happy he will put in 110% week in week out, do something to annoy him or upset him and he'll coast at about 40% until he's sold.

Keep him happy and he'll play and play well. He is like Darren Bent in that regard if he's happy he will put in 110% week in week out, do something to annoy him or upset him and he'll coast at about 40% until he's sold.

He hasnt done a thing for about 3 and half years though. Has he been unhappy for that long???

I just think he is a lazy arrogant git.

He hasnt done a thing for about 3 and half years though. Has he been unhappy for that long???

He was outstanding in 08-09. He was OK in 09-10. He had a disaster in 10-11 although he did miss over half of it thorugh injury.

Any way sick of repeating the same thing. Can’t wait until he bangs in a few in pre season and the usual fickle Villa fans will be licking his balls.

Trouble is they will then be claiming he’s Zidane and will go back to moaning when he doesn’t secure us champions league qualification!!

Don't sell him. Fresh start. Fresh season.

If the boy plays he will be a top player for us. The idea of him and Bent is mouth watering at times.

Clean slate people.

I'd say that it would be stupidity to the extreme not to try and turn SI to the player we know he can be. There's a very good player in there, let's try and get him out.

THIS - end off discussion.

The idea of letting him go is silly at best. He has the talent, lets give it another shot.

End of discussion? I might start saying that after everything I say if it suddenly turns it into gospel.

Stephen Ireland is a borderline mentally unstable petulant child at best. The biggest problem about satisfying every need of a player like Stephen Ireland is that it will affect the rest of the team tactically when we try to shoe horn him into every starting line-up, and it will affect the team moral when he throws his toys out the pram if you don't. Get rid. End of discussion.

He was outstanding in 08-09. He was OK in 09-10. He had a disaster in 10-11 although he did miss over half of it thorugh injury.

Any way sick of repeating the same thing. Can’t wait until he bangs in a few in pre season and the usual fickle Villa fans will be licking his balls.

Trouble is they will then be claiming he’s Zidane and will go back to moaning when he doesn’t secure us champions league qualification!!

Have you considered that people might have reasons to say those things other than because they're 'fickle'? I dislike him regardless of what he does for Villa. I'm sure many of the others saying get rid are also level headed people like me who don't want disruptive players in the squad. I'll say it now, Ireland will never fulfil this potential that everyone is so adamant that he has.

Yes i want the team to be weaker, thats exactly what i want. I want to spend my money on following the team up and down the country for us to lose every week. I want whats best for my club like every other fan. I just dont see the point in fans not giving the lad a chance before the season has even started. Yes he probaley is a rocket polisher and he lies, sounds like most footballers. If he has a good pre season scores a few goals plays well will you not give the lad a chance?!?

he has already been given a whole year of 'chance'

when we signed him i was happy, i thought we had a bargain top player i was wrong, i can admit when im wrong.

i thought when he got his second chance at villa last season and played shit yet again and didnt give a **** that he still deserved some time. he then went out to newcastle on the piss most weekends, slagging birmingham off and biggin up newcastle

how many chances do you expect a professional footballer, one of whom is the highest paid player in our club, to have?

he had 1 good year, then unfortunately he could not keep up the momentum, i think he also knows this which is why he lies and makes excuses at to why he cant play so he cant ry and live off the great season he had

what message does it give the youth in our squad? act like a bell end and your pay goes up and the club bow down to you?

i supported him and gave him 3 chances last season, the final straw being him slagging off birmingham ( although some of it is a shit hole) and then trying to back track saying it was taken out of context.

im sure some players do lie but not to the extent and stupidity of SI

i wouldnt take the risk he can bring back the talent he last showed 3 years ago when he was a younger player on average wages out to prove himself at his boyhood club.

he has shown nothing, and i really mean nothing to show he still has the mental attitude to be a good reliable player since he has been here.

on paper he was a good signing, in real life he is a disaster

Who the hell would buy him now? Newcastle wouldn't even have him back on loan, his wages are to much for many teams and the ones that could afford them are never gonna need a player like him.

If he has a great season then i would sell him to the highest bidder, the guys 'troubled'. Collymore part II.

If we go into next season with SI, Petrov and Makoun as our only experienced CM's then we are in a lot of trouble.

Perhaps AM's long ball game will give us some hope.....

He is just another Stan Collymore

How are we supposed to 'keep him happy' though?

If hes not happy being paid 80k a week to play football then im afraid hes a lost cause. People can point to the way Houllier supposedly treated him, but as far as i can see Houllier was more than willing to give him a chance.

How are we supposed to 'keep him happy' though?

If hes not happy being paid 80k a week to play football then im afraid hes a lost cause. People can point to the way Houllier supposedly treated him, but as far as i can see Houllier was more than willing to give him a chance.

Houllier did give him a chance but he kept his finger firmly up his arse. He didnt even pull it half way out. Face it Ireland does not want to be here or play for us and he is on about £80k a week !!!!! No thanks

When Ireland played for us he played quite well, then Houllier blasts him in public and he never plays again.. I think much of his attitude at Villa was down to Houllier.

When Ireland played for us he played quite well, then Houllier blasts him in public and he never plays again.. I think much of his attitude at Villa was down to Houllier.

I think Ireland is mentally unsuited to life in the Premier league football. The internal and external pressure is simply too much for him. Some managers may deal with him better than others, but only for a limited period before depression or doom and gloom (call it what you will) drag him down again. It's a shame as Ireland get's a lot of flack for being stupid, when he may instead be clinically unwell. Only my amateur opinion of course.

we must differ then, i thought he played ok in one game, did a few nice touches when he came on as a sub in a couple games apart from that was utter and i mean totaly utterly worthless

no effort, passing was terrible especially for one who was supposed to come with a reputation as a fantastic passer, attitude was shocking fitness levels laughable, especially as he made yet another claim ( suprise suprise) that he was the hardest working and fittest player on the training field. wouldnt believe a word out of his mouth

a waster

we must differ then, i thought he played ok in one game, did a few nice touches when he came on as a sub in a couple games apart from that was utter and i mean totaly utterly worthless

no effort, passing was terrible especially for one who was supposed to come with a reputation as a fantastic passer, attitude was shocking fitness levels laughable, especially as he made yet another claim ( suprise suprise) that he was the hardest working and fittest player on the training field. wouldnt believe a word out of his mouth

a waster

Got to say this sums up my thoughts and views on Ireland to date.