Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem was never training though, it's the fact he did **** all in the games.

I firmly believe if he had scored that one on one against Chelsea, that would of kickstarted his Villa career!

The problem was never training though, it's the fact he did **** all in the games.

I assume his performances in training or perhaps lack of them meant he wasn't given a few more chances.

The two main problems with SI IMO are 1) His attitude and 2) We don't know how to fit him in.

In saying that he has never played with Bent and without Young so who knows the future might work out if he wants to buck up his ideas.

I totally agree, there were a couple of occasions when he might have scored and if he would have I think he'd have went on to have a decent season, for us! Still it never happened, I think he's the guy of guy who has to really feel part of thing, an arm around the shoulder kind of player.

He has undoubted talent and with the "hole" being free following Young's departure (no doubt to play on the wing at OT - :bang::angry::rant: with a manager that will tell him to shut it and get on with it) I would expect SI to thrive in that position given the chance.

Ireland playing off Bent is a good thing IMHO, with Downing and (*insert new winger here) or SuperMarc on the wings.

AM will bring him back into the fold, but I'm slightly confused as to where he will fit in if we play 4-4-2 as I believe AM has stated we will play. With Ireland coming in and added to that the quality and mix of midfielders we have in the rest of the squad I just can't see how 4-4-2 can be made to work.

AM will bring him back into the fold, but I'm slightly confused as to where he will fit in if we play 4-4-2 as I believe AM has stated we will play. With Ireland coming in and added to that the quality and mix of midfielders we have in the rest of the squad I just can't see how 4-4-2 can be made to work.

Im guessing maybe it will be more of a diamond formation, with SI in the hole.

Makoun?

Wouldn't like to trust any of them, it's a tough job which NRC could have done. The rest are unproven or in Petrov's case has age related fitness issues. As you say we could buy somone.

I agree that NRC should have stayed.

Parker will fit the role perfect but it just isnt long term.

I watched him play too much last year. Silky skills but no brain and no application. If he misses a chance in the first few minutes his head goes down and you can forget it. This was nothing to do with Houllier. For whatever reason this guy is a car crash. Basically, he's crap and he thinks he's a genius. He'll disappear without trace into the lower divisions ...

Don’t agree with any of this. FFS what the hell are you talking about?! He hardly played last season. It’s shocking the crap some people will come out with! :oops:

Excuse me — me and my season ticket had enough experience of Ireland to make a decision — keep you abuse to yourself.

He did play last year, enough for anyone to have made a judgement about him.

And of course, there is all the other bollocks ...

There is a real problem with Ireland even though he has announced that he wants to seriously compete for a place in the team.

He will be in competition with a lot of players — many of the good youngsters — who were as good if no better than him last year and who certainly showed more determination.

He may get a go in pre-season but he will have to wait his turn if he isn't explosive. And here is the problem — will he just throw a wobbly if he's sitting on the bench.

Even if Downing goes he will have competition from Bannon, Albrighton, et al in the hole or wide positions.

I hope he can show something but i fear we're stuck with a very expensive non-player who very few people are interested in taking off our hands.

There is a real problem with Ireland even though he has announced that he wants to seriously compete for a place in the team.

He will be in competition with a lot of players — many of the good youngsters — who were as good if no better than him last year and who certainly showed more determination.

He may get a go in pre-season but he will have to wait his turn if he isn't explosive. And here is the problem — will he just throw a wobbly if he's sitting on the bench.

Even if Downing goes he will have competition from Bannon, Albrighton, et al in the hole or wide positions.

I hope he can show something but i fear we're stuck with a very expensive non-player who very few people are interested in taking off our hands.

In fairness Andy, there is only maybe Bannan who can compete with Ireland for the role in the hole.

Ive seen nothing from him to prove to me that they are better than Ireland when he is firing at all cylinders.