Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

What I read from Micah's comments is:

"If you think you're good enough to break the first team, go for it, but don't ring my phone when you're just a bench warmer and you miss out on the Euros."

IMO Richards has said the exact right thing for us. He's honest, of course playing for City would be good, but being on City's bench could ruin his career. I know players have to back themselves but surely Delph will look at this and realise he's not going to be first team.

What intrigues me is that City is the only link. If that clause is true then why aren't more clubs queueing up for him? More chance of playing at Arsenal and Utd than City. If it's a clause for clubs playing in Europe then surely West Ham would have declared interest, he'd become their best player for 8m.. And they're not usually quiet when it comes to spewing to the media who they want to sign from competitors.

The fact he's English and city's desperation for home grown players seems to be the only thing driving these rumours.

If Delph wasn't English, or if City weren't so desperate for English players in their squad, would they even be interested? I doubt it.

I doubt Delph cold play for Arsenal, especially the way they play. Passing isn't his strongest point

what the micah Richards article fails to say is when delph spoke to him - there is every chance that delph's thought process may well have moved on since he asked, bearing in mind he is back training and heading our new kit poster....

my reading of the article is that Richards was seeking to remain as non-committal as possible - having made a decision similar to one which delph appears to be considering, which was proven over time to be the wrong one... what he said to me seems sensible - "I can understand why you would do it (I did after all) - back yourself if you want to, but know that others have done so (who were at similar stages of their careers) and it has proven to be their undoing... at the end of the day its your call though, so I won't make it for you...."

I think a key thing in our favour is that delph has successfully established himself as an England player within our squad - he is first choice in his position and therefore it is his to lose.... any change (including a move to a better team at the moment only runs the risk of jeopardising that..

He's been here for two minutes and he's already mentioned that's he'd like to go back to City soon and now this. Can he just shut up?

He's a City boy, he's just talking casually to someone about wanting to go back to 'his' club someday. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

If a club comes in for you and you have someone joining you who spent many years at that club you are bound to ask some questions, if anything it's an ice breaker for getting to know a new face. I wouldn't read too much into that at the moment. At the end of the day if Man City can offer him big wages and a starting play then you can understand his interest but right now I don't think they can offer him that so it's dangerous for him to take a risk of putting his growing career on hold. So for me it all comes down to that, and it's pretty much what Micah said in his interview.  

All Delph has to do is look and see what happened yo Sinclair and Richards he doesn't have to ask

Like I said if he leaves this summer for city I think all that talk about loyalty and money isn't important would be b0ll0cks

Arguably better players at the time when joining/debuting for City than Delph is. Maybe more Micah. Better players such as Milner couldnt nail down a spot. Countless of others. Delph isnt good enough. I dont think hes daft.. thats probably why he hasnt signed for them. A clause probably was in there about he hasnt agreed terms. Hes probably mulling it over. Probably why he rocked up early to training this week to speak to Micah about it.

Delph and Benteke should just stay 1 more season.. with a few new buys and lets see what happens under Tim.

Andy Gray just said on Talk Sport "always thought 4 year deal signed with a release deal... I don't want to see him become a player who plays every 2 or 3 games...if he is going to sit on his backside he should think again". 

I genuinely think that when he signed the new deal, he didn't envisage a club like Man City coming in for him.

I think it's probably a balancing act in terms of thought process running through his head.

Am I good enough to start? Will I play every game? England? Super Rich? Captain at Villa?

He has a lot to weigh up.

IMO he is nowhere near as good as Milner, Barry or Young and if he goes, I feel he can be replaced. Yes he is a good player, but overrated by many.

• Like 2

He's been here for two minutes and he's already mentioned that's he'd like to go back to City soon and now this. Can he just shut up?

He's a City boy, he's just talking casually to someone about wanting to go back to 'his' club someday. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Why mention it when you've only just swapped to a club that actually wants you to play for them and not one that's going to just let you rot on the bench because you're not good enough?

But for gods sake Fab don't go there and start 20 games all season! Man City desperate to sign home grown players.

I'd like to ask Dyke how the home grown rule is a positive for the national side? Man City will sign an England International and not play him. How does this strengthen the England team? 

• Like 3

I must be one naive bloke. Really took to heart what Delph said in January as well. Gutted at the news that he is considering a move away.

I think they are just trying to sell papers. I think he meant what he said, he could be on a free now if he didn't give a monkeys. So about to sign for any number of clubs for ridiculous wages as no fee to pay.

indeed  ... but if you read his Dream team article on the main site he also knows his Villa ... I've no idea how he will perform as a player but he's doing a lot of good stuff off the pitch so far

But for gods sake Fab don't go there and start 20 games all season! Man City desperate to sign home grown players.

I'd like to ask Dyke how the home grown rule is a positive for the national side? Man City will sign an England International and not play him. How does this strengthen the England team? 

Filling the homegrown quota for City is never going to be buying regular starters though is it? You are totally right it's absurd, for City england would have to produce players at least of Scholes level, which we haven't been doing for a while.

Very good player but not good enough for City. Just needs to look at Sinclair, Rodwell, Richards and Milner who were all there to make up the English players quota, not to feature regularly. 

he was easily the best player on the pitch during our 3-2 defeat last season

the trouble is , can he perform at that level week in week out  ? one bad game and you are on the bench and then you can sit there for months at a team like City

(o.t ) Arguably the same for Benteke ..stay at villa and you'll play nearly every minute of every game , have a stinker ..no problem try again next week  ..have a barren run ..meh , so what 

go to Liverpool or a big club if he hasn't got 27 goals in the first 4 games he will be on the bench , lose confidence and the downward spiral begins .. Benteke doesn't strike me as the impact sub type he has to be playing

• Like 1

Filling the homegrown quota for City is never going to be buying regular starters though is it? 

Good point. By all accounts City have invested heavily in the youth system. It'll just take time to come to fruition into suppose.

It's just ridiculous seeing talented players go for the money, probably being fed horse shit by City 'Yeah Fab of course you'll play!' only to see them fester on the bench. 

Edited by piav_k4

Â