Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Hardly an achievement to keep somebody who openly admits he is going nowhere. 

It's an achievement for us to keep an England International who's getting interest from "bigger" clubs. Surely you see that?

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Werent you just a minute ago in another thread saying we were already spending the Delph and Benteke money?

Werent you just a minute ago in another thread saying we were already spending the Delph and Benteke money?

My point is, that i find it hard to believe words from a footballer to a random guy on a night out.

I'd not seen the comments from Wilkins but given how much people are going on about them I thought I should.

Wilkins said: “People talk about who you are bringing in but sometimes it is important who you are keeping hold of.

“Fabian is top drawer as far as Aston Villa is concerned.

“I sincerely hope all the teams out there who really want to take him on board don’t come after him because it would be really nice to keep hold of him.”

Here

Unless there are other comments out there I'm not sure I read the same as others.

This to me suggests there has been interest but not firm bids and that they want to keep him, they hope to do so and that it would be an achievement.

It doesn't really read as him 'admitting we've got a struggle on our hands' but perhaps that is due to the intentionally misleading headline by the Birmingham Mail.....

Hmm, a voice of reason...surely that kind of talk is punishable round here? lol

Let's remember Ray Wilkins hasn't even set foot in Bodymoor Heath yet so he dosen't have a direct line of communications with the players and so is probably just reading the speculation in the papers like everyone else.

Yep. Fair point Trent (as usual). However, it doesn't say anything remotely to do with him being a villa lad who is going nowhere, which is what Omar's story suggests.

No it doesn't but that isn't really the point, the point is it really doesn't contradict what Omar said which is what some have been suggesting/implying.

As for what Omar posted, like anything anyone posts people can either take it at face value or dismiss it. Its up to them, personally knowing him (on here at least) I've absolutely no reason to question it and more than enough reason to believe it.

I absolutely take the point that what a player says to a fan should be treated with some skepticism, fair point, and I'd feel happier if Delph said it in public.

But, I keep coming back to what he said in January and that for me still carries some weight, more weight than press speculation and click hoovering headlines from the Birmingham Mail.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe Delph is another Downing but I seriously seriously doubt it.

"The fans have been great with me, the chairman has been absolutely fantastic with me and I have a great relationship with the manager and I see the boys here as my brothers, my family and I am delighted to stay here. 

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am. 

"I feel like this is me - I love the club, I love being here and I want to put 100% into everything I do here. This is my club and I want to be here. That's why I am committing my future. 

"Hopefully it will give everyone a bit of a lift and show the fans that we are looking to do big things here and bring excitement back to the club. 

"We want to get through this season, do well and I feel the up-and-coming years will be big. 

"There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run.

Here

• Like 1

Not that I think he will leave but I really think it doesn't really matter too much what's been said, from any perspective.

If an offer came in that Delph was happy with and the Club too he could easily go, it would just be one of those "I wanted to stay but the Club decided it was best that..."..... etc, etc.

And I wouldn't mind over much if that happened. I'd prefer him to stay, but we could buy two good players if he went which is OK too.

I don't want to be negative about the guy, and he's come on a bundle recently, but he hasn't been a top drawer, week in, week out sensation or anything. He has stood out in a poorly performing team, and with good reason, but I think who we got would matter more than him going.

Let's remember Ray Wilkins hasn't even set foot in Bodymoor Heath yet so he dosen't have a direct line of communications with the players and so is probably just reading the speculation in the papers like everyone else.

Hard to believe that Tim Sherwood (who has clearly been in contact with him) would have told him isnt it?

Yep. Fair point Trent (as usual). However, it doesn't say anything remotely to do with him being a villa lad who is going nowhere, which is what Omar's story suggests.

No it doesn't but that isn't really the point, the point is it really doesn't contradict what Omar said which is what some have been suggesting/implying.

As for what Omar posted, like anything anyone posts people can either take it at face value or dismiss it. Its up to them, personally knowing him (on here at least) I've absolutely no reason to question it and more than enough reason to believe it.

I absolutely take the point that what a player says to a fan should be treated with some skepticism, fair point, and I'd feel happier if Delph said it in public.

But, I keep coming back to what he said in January and that for me still carries some weight, more weight than press speculation and click hoovering headlines from the Birmingham Mail.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe Delph is another Downing but I seriously seriously doubt it.

"The fans have been great with me, the chairman has been absolutely fantastic with me and I have a great relationship with the manager and I see the boys here as my brothers, my family and I am delighted to stay here. 

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am. 

"I feel like this is me - I love the club, I love being here and I want to put 100% into everything I do here. This is my club and I want to be here. That's why I am committing my future. 

"Hopefully it will give everyone a bit of a lift and show the fans that we are looking to do big things here and bring excitement back to the club. 

"We want to get through this season, do well and I feel the up-and-coming years will be big. 

"There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run.

Here

Yep, they are all fair comments and re-reading those Delph quotes, and looking solely at them (which I am not suggesting you are doing btw) makes it hard to believe he would leave. 

Having said that, when I first read the comments in January I immediately thought, we are being taken over. My confidence in that has since dropped significantly and I think it is imperative for the up and coming years to be 'big' as Fabian puts it. He obviously has a better insight into it than us of course, but I think he is more than capable of going back on those words.

After the video thing about loyalty, I would be two things....mightily disappointed and somewhat  not surprised.

I'm always skeptical over footballers, because money at this level breeds greed and I believe the only loyalty they show is truly to the pound note.

Delph, with his lovely speech and actions to back it up (signing on for us) did actually have me thinking against my better judgement.

But to that effect, thus far, I haven't seen anything at all but a load of click baiting (or as trent puts them click hoovering) newspapers who fantasize headlines for the shock effect.  I echo what Trent has written, there's nothing giving in any of the actual quotes from wilkins and they could be interpreted in any which way you want.  Ergo, we have a lot of bluster about nothing at the minute - and as footballers biggest skeptic, I don't see any reason to be making presumptions that Delph will be off.

Having said that, when I first read the comments in January I immediately thought, we are being taken over. My confidence in that has since dropped significantly and I think it is imperative for the up and coming years to be 'big' as Fabian puts it. He obviously has a better insight into it than us of course, but I think he is more than capable of going back on those words.

Pardon me for skipping over the takeover stuff, totally relevant you raising it in the context you have but if I pick up from that point we or those who follow us will go off topic. 

On the last line, of course he is but my point is I'm not sure there is reason, any reason to think that he will other than perhaps a general lack of faith in footballers.

My point is, the speculation about clauses, the interest of the clubs in Jan and again this window and even the comments of Wilkins, none of it is any indication at all that we should think Delph is about to do a Downing.

In short, I see no real reason for concern in regards Delph at this moment in time. That is it in a nutshell really.

Those words do suggest he will stay with us, however my one doubt is the clause in his contract. Why have such a low buy out clause? unless it was to safeguard himself against relegation.

Those words do suggest he will stay with us, however my one doubt is the clause in his contract. Why have such a low buy out clause? unless it was to safeguard himself against relegation.

Exactly that I imagine.

And it wouldn't surprise me if it was specifically a relegation clause, i.e. it isn't even valid now, but the press have run with it anyway.

Why on earth would Ray Wilkins say something like that on Talksport when being asked about Villa players? If Delph has said those things to Omar, it doesn't mean he can't change he his mind at a later date, so Wilkins isn't going to commit himself to say something that might later turn out wrong.

On top of that, as others have said, Wilkins probably hasn't even met up with any of the players yet, and so actually I doubt that Sherwood (at the point he made those comments), had said anything about the players he expects to keep or expects to leave.

I didn't realise those Wilkins quotes were the ones you were referring to (as I assumed they would have been much more damning), but I was actually on a 2 hour drive to Cardiff, listening to Talksport, when Wilkins was co-hosting and made those comments (Monday morning, I believe).

When asked about players, he mentioned that he has worked with a few of the lads before, but didn't mention others. Which, to me, meant that he hadn't had any contact with any of them (at BMH or elsewhere). When he was asked about his Villa plans for this week, he mentioned that him and the other staff would be planning and preparing the pre-season training routine etc.

I personally doubt that, at that point, Sherwood had called him and said "By the way, Delph is 100% staying, I want rid of Guzan and we have a fight on our hands to keep Benteke", or anything similar. Firstly, because the players aren't back in training yet so some of their personal decisions wouldn't be known by Sherwood, and secondly, Wilkins might not need to know this info just yet, as Wilkins might not even have any input whatsoever on the players that we keep, sell or buy.

• Like 1

What is it you want from the club? Do you want a weekly dossier compete with questions and answers regarding every, single made up mirror/talksport bullshit article?

It's not "strange" that the club have not responded. Not in the slightest. It's standard.

• Like 1

What is it you want from the club? Do you want a weekly dossier compete with questions and answers regarding every, single made up mirror/talksport bullshit article?

It's not "strange" that the club have not responded. Not in the slightest. It's standard.

No, not at all. Nor sure how my posts suggests that.

I'm merely suggesting that the club's response (albeit indirect and minimal) hardly supports omar's story

Â