Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

We know its all bullshit. Smashing minnows in qualifying for major tournaments gets you up the rankings. In reality Wales are in no way a better team than England, but then England aren't even close to being the 10th best team in the world - Belgium are no better than Germany.

Its nonsense. Much like most of FIFA's output. 

They're rankings.

They're not a measure of which team is better than the other. Just which teams have won more matches recently.

The best way of looking at them is the standings of a league that is in a perpetual unfinished state. I.e. it shows you which teams are doing well, but it'll never show you the whole story (i.e. which is actually the best team) because they never play everyone else.

Does anybody know how the **** FIFA work these rankings out?

Yes

Thanks for that, I am still non the wiser as i could not be arsed to read any of that as it was just too much to take in, which is proably why you just added the link :)

I was more showing that there is a publically available formula rather than some shady FIFA shenanigans where they arbitrarily decide rankings based on how big the brown envelope is or something similarly preposterous.  Basically the reason teams are as high as they are is there for everyone to see.  It usually boils down to winning more games than the others.  Winning against better sides and winning by more.  And now it's only relevant every 4 years (I.O.W. a world cup sized sample) rather than 8.

• Like 1

It must be a bit annoying for the Welsh that they are walking through their group just when they've upped the number of teams qualifying so that any Tom Dick and Harry can qualify anyway.  Anyway enough about football, I've just bought a couple of new fluffy towels and can't wait to use them.

• Like 1

It must be a bit annoying for the Welsh that they are walking through their group just when they've upped the number of teams qualifying so that any Tom Dick and Harry can qualify anyway.  Anyway enough about football, I've just bought a couple of new fluffy towels and can't wait to use them.

Tom, Dick & Harry maybe.  But not Maarten, Luuk or Jaap :P  Amirite?

more football in off topic:

my local team have taken a player called Elvis on season long loan to beef him up a bit and get him playing

he played 20 minutes last weekend, and scored, so we've started him today, twenty minutes in and he's just scored....this could be fun!

scored 2 more in the second half, 4 goals in one and a bit games

Edited by chrisp65
sports desk update

Â