Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Kerching! Just had a call from my solicitor. Insurance company finally made an acceptable offer.<br /><br />And we also found out today that our daughter ha been offered a bursary by the school to pay the fees up to the end of the VIth form<br /><br />added to the missus finally getting a job this week<br /><br />There is light at the end of the tunnel!

• Like 4

I've always wanted to see an owl. They are pretty endangered though, sadly.

They're just different to other birds. The way they fly, the look of them, that they're nocturnal, mostly. They're magnificent creatures. And they're not as hard to see as you might think. I know I'm lucky because I work where there's a few, so I see them reasonably often, compared to most people, but if you want to see one, you will or can.

I've seen them in sanctuaries, but the real joy is to see them wild. They kind of belong to our world and to another hidden one. So when one is visible, then that's why it's special - it's like they're visiting. It's good that they're not too familiar or commonplace, as it adds to the joy of seeing them. They're captivating.

• Like 1

google lied to me :) I had no idea what Vattenutkastare was in english

That's a **** huge word for "tap". No wonder you lot commit suicide at an alarming rate.

To be fair, that's the fancy word for it, "kran" will do  ;)

Edited by Tegis

I've always wanted to see an owl. They are pretty endangered though, sadly.

There's a brilliant Hawk Conservancy just down the road from us, outside of Andover.  Went a few months back and got to handle owls, vultures, saw loads of different birds of prey and they put on this fantastic show with a Peregrine Falcon.  I had no idea just how much of a badass the Peregrine was until then, they've actually got grooves inside their beaks that allow them to reach ridiculous speeds when hunting by preventing the intense airflow from damaging them.  Amazing stuff.  Damn nature, you scary!

British species I've never seen in the wild: 

Owls

Kingfishers

Eagles

Otters

Badgers

But I can't walk a hundred yards without tripping over a fox. 

I live more towards the countryside so I've seen plenty of Owls. I haven't seen a live badger, only roadkill if that counts?

Years ago my old neighbours had a big pond with a lot of fish and a Kingfisher used to take them, I never actually saw it but other people did.

Red Kites were reintroduced around here years ago and now they are just such a common sight.

I saw a live badger in Ireland, from my car.

Driving to my grans, rounded a corner and there it was right in the middle of the road. Luckily I spotted it early (even though it was dark) and it's a tiny road so I wasn't going fast anyway.

It just looked up, then turned and bounded off down the road. Stuck right to the middle though, so I had to drive behind it for about 50 yards before it finally realised it could go left or right.

Nothing spectacular, but it was a bit weird seeing one that wasn't squashed on the side of the road.

google lied to me :) I had no idea what Vattenutkastare was in english

The F word is an American word. Language perverts :mrgreen:

Nah, faucet seems correct to me  ;)

• Like 1

Â