Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 12/11/2023 at 10:46, theboyangel said:

Yep, PS5 is how he communicates with friends but he also just wants to stay in and watch a program with us in the evenings. Baffling 😂

Glad it's not just our boys who are like that then....... Apart from watching TV with us 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

So I'm retiring from my full time job at the end of the month and they're going a bit ott on the planning and apparently throwing a bigger party than I would have chosen.   My staff knows I like soccer (sorry, it's the US) and asked who's my favorite club.   Here's the invitation they're sending out.   It's a gif that flashes "Final Match" after "presents" and my name above the pitch.  Kinda cool.

Picture1.thumb.gif.17dadcbe854b7e47cb163886e79de40a.gif

It’s a tough one, like you I wouldn’t want a huge amount of fuss, but it’s nice to know people care about you enough to make so much effort. Congratulations and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Car just sailed through its MOT.

Always a happy day, and a relief! 

You people with new cars, my van failed and the garage had to manufacture an adjuster for the headlights as they are no longer manufactured. Cheeky sods said next year when it fails they will be able to adjust the headlights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You people with new cars, my van failed and the garage had to manufacture an adjuster for the headlights as they are no longer manufactured. Cheeky sods said next year when it fails they will be able to adjust the headlights.

The Audi is 17 years old next year, so merely a spring chicken. It did sting me for a grand on front springs and brakes a couple of months ago. 

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Audi is 17 years old next year, so merely a spring chicken. It did sting me for a grand on front springs and brakes a couple of months ago. 

Whenever I see the TV advert for nationwide bank ( y'know, the one with the arrogant word removed in the bank opposite, bemoaning the fact that he's gonna downsize to this......"office"....) I think of you and your sighing when receiving your bonus......thinking of it as mere pocket change...........pocket change that could make me a major shareholder in Lonsdale 😀

ps  i dont think you're a word removed !

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Whenever I see the TV advert for nationwide bank ( y'know, the one with the arrogant word removed in the bank opposite, bemoaning the fact that he's gonna downsize to this......"office"....) I think of you and your sighing when receiving your bonus......thinking of it as mere pocket change...........pocket change that could make me a major shareholder in Lonsdale 😀

ps  i dont think you're a word removed !

is it just me  .... but , they have made that character out to be Farage haven't they ?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a coach mechanics business down the docks. I took my car there for an MOT and had to drive around looking for a flat bit of car park to leave it.

I got back in the evening and the car is in exactly the same position.

Me: ‘you didn’t have time to look at my car?’

Mech: ‘yes, here’s your MOT’

Me: ‘ok, did you fix the handbrake?’

Mech: ‘what’s wrong with it?’

Me: ‘I left it on the passenger seat so you wouldn’t miss it.’

So it literally is a licence to print money. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

So it literally is a licence to print money. 

That was a few years ago when the docks were very much part of the Wild West culture, in my middle aged head I presume you couldn’t get away with that sort of thing anymore? Although I also suspect I’ve got more naive as I’ve got older. We had a job recently up in Bootle in Bicks country and it did remind me of the good old bad old days.

I don’t remember the last time I had to concern myself with MOT’s or tax, the luxury of lease cars. Gone are the days of queueing in the post office for an age on your last tax disc day only to realise you’ve brought the wrong insurance paperwork.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a coach mechanics business down the docks. I took my car there for an MOT and had to drive around looking for a flat bit of car park to leave it.

I had a similar experience years ago, when the certificates were hand written.

Dropped my car off and notice I’d parked badly as the back wheel was touching the line.

Went back an hour later, in the office area I did note it smelled of weed. The guy hands me my certificate and I walk to my car and notice the same wheel is still on the same bit of line, in the same parking bay as I left it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That was a few years ago when the docks were very much part of the Wild West culture, in my middle aged head I presume you couldn’t get away with that sort of thing anymore? Although I also suspect I’ve got more naive as I’ve got older. We had a job recently up in Bootle in Bicks country and it did remind me of the good old bad old days.

I don’t remember the last time I had to concern myself with MOT’s or tax, the luxury of lease cars. Gone are the days of queueing in the post office for an age on your last tax disc day only to realise you’ve brought the wrong insurance paperwork.

Yeah, its much harder to get away with that now unless your car is exempt from MOTs (yes that's Taxis!), an MOT test has to be hooked up to a computer and the results recorded live (for emissions tests I think)

There is a garage less than half a mile away from where I'm sat right now that was notorious in the taxi trade. It was one of the few approved Taxi testing stations and as long as your car was semi-roadworthy, £20 left in the ashtray would secure a pass from the MOT tester. I don't even think the owners of the garage were aware of what he was up to but he was earning a fortune - 4 tests an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. A good 80% of their trade was taxis. The flipside was also if you didn't leave £20, your car had better be 100% perfect or it was failing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My sister bought a car earlier this year. She got it from an independent second hand car dealer. Big enough to not be completely corrupt, but small enough to still be a bit dodgy.

Anyway, it was due a MOT so we asked them to do the MOT before it was sold to us. no problem. MOT certificate was provided from a garage down the road.

After a week of owning it, my sister realised that one of the tyres was completely bald on the inside. She contacted the dealer and asked for money to cover the cost of getting them changed. They refused.

When I told her to try again but this time question how the car could have passed the MOT with no advisories if a tyre was completely bald, they immediately agreed to pay for the tyres up front. They didn't even ask for proof of the quote :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ha.

Had similar(ish) a long time ago, when I lived in Cornwall. There was an MoT place, known on the Squadron as "The blind man of St. Merryn" - if you took your motor there, either in uniform, or if you left a beret on the passenger seat....you can guess the rest.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I don't want to brag, but I just gave my grass the last mow of the year.

Mine would benefit from a quick once over, but last time out I finished the petrol and I don’t want to put more in, and sit there going gooey all winter, just for 1 cut.

• Like 1

Â