Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

No doubt he had a bad time last year and made plenty of mistakes but he wasnt helped by the fact that the defence was getting no real protection from midfield for alot of the time that he was playing. Also he was the one who had to marshall the defence when Vlaar got injured and you could see that he wasnt really up to it at that stage of his career and things kinda went from bad to worse for him.

This season will be the measure of him imo and we will see if he can learn from his experiences of last season and become a better player for it.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you ignore Clarks errors - he doesn't seem to do an awful lot right - I don't find myself out of my seat applauding a good tackle, or a firm header under pressure - he's kind of just 'there'.

I can't quite work out how he was so highly rated as a teenager - he doesn't seem to have the attributes of a CB. Lambo seems to rate him though - so he will probably get more games next season than some expect.

Same here, glaring cockups aside, he is second best in the air too often and is just generally poor all round, for me. We'll see what the club offer him and how much Lambert uses him.

Clark was worse though, defence seemed more comfortable at end with Baker in there instead of Clark

That's not a fair comparison though. The entire team were more comfortable at the end of last season. Baker will have benefitted from having a better supporting cast in front of him. Had their seasons been reversed, it's likely that Clark would have benefitted from having a more cohesive group in front of him too. FWIW I like both of them and I think they start this season probably on pretty-much-equal footing. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for Okore to nudge ahead of them. This is me assuming that Vlaar's place will not come under scrutiny as I don't believe it will.

This will be a big season for Clark. Yes I know the last one was too but for different reasons. He will possibly start this season as Vlaar's partner given that he was first choice until his injury last season. With Okore and Baker nipping at his heels he'll have to perform well. I think if he can eradicate his howlers then there's a good cultured centre back in there. Hopefully it's just experience that he needs. He's not a bad player. And I still think he has an eye for goal too from corners.

Think Okore wlll start at the emirates provided this injury doesn't linger.

Can't say I was impressed with Clark last season (and I was someone who wanted him to get a prolonged run at centre half) Baker imo played better when he came in for Clark around March-April.

Not fully going to write him off as I think he can still make a career in midfield.

• Like 1

Defender Clark thrilled to sign new three-year contract at Villa

0,,10265~12078542,00.jpg

Ciaran Clark emphasised his pride and ambition, the deep sense of collective purpose within the Villa team and the competition for places that is driving the 23-year-old defender and his team-mates into the forthcoming season having agreed a new three-year deal to 2016.

The Republic of Ireland international, who has captained Villa teams from youth to first team level, extolled the leadership qualities of manager Paul Lambert and the enthusiasm and eagerness he has instilled in his players through the early part of pre-season.

Lambert has signed six players during this transfer window - defenders Jores Okore and Antonio Luna, midfield players Leandro Bacuna and Aleksander Tonev, striker Nicklas Helenius as well as goalkeeper Jed Steer - while last season's player of the year Brad Guzan and Clark's fellow Academy graduates Andi Weimann and Nathan Baker have also agreed new deals this summer, along with midfield lynchpin Ashley Westwood.

The mood within the camp, Clark enthused, is "vibrant" and the keen anticipation of the coming season has everyone "working as hard as we can" to be uppermost in the manager's thoughts come the first game of the Barclays Premier League campaign on August 17 at Arsenal.

"Everyone's at the stage now where we just want to get out and play and the competition for places is tougher than it's been these past few seasons, no doubt about that," Clark said.

"The players who have come in have integrated into the squad really well with the training camp in Germany helping immensely in terms of bonding and getting down to work. Everyone's really keen to really get on with it now. We're looking forward to giving our all and fighting for our spot in the team. There's definitely a vibrant feeling within the camp and a real desire to push on and keep building.

"We feel like we have very strong foundations in place. The last couple of seasons we've had some ups and downs and we've always stuck together and supported one another, whatever's happened. We'll continue to do that and that's what will continue to help us to progress together as a team.

"The manager has also been superb in instilling confidence and ambition, a real desire to succeed for the Club and we're all hungry to achieve something here.

"From a personal point of view, I really couldn't be more delighted or more proud. I've been here since I was 12 years old, progressing from the younger teams through the youth team along with players such as Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannan and another couple who have just signed new deals in Nathan Baker and Andi Weimann. It's great that we've all managed to come through together and there's a bond there with this Club that's as close as family to us lads especially.

"From a young age, Villa has had a deep impact on my life and I've been taught proper values here by the people such as Bryan Jones, Kevin MacDonald, Gordon Cowans, Tony McAndrew, Steve Burns and so many others who have been involved in the Academy set-up. We're taught well here, we're taught the right way, the attitude is top drawer and all the lads have taken that into the first team or to whatever other club or whatever walk of life they've chosen. We've been taught to work hard, to give our all always and to demonstrate the right morals in terms of politeness and the way we behave on and off the field, all of which is really important.

"It's what every young lad dreams about, to be able to play for a club like Aston Villa. I've had the honour of captaining the team from youth level right through to the first team and to receive that honour last season was massive for me, a moment I'll never forget.

"This season will be another tough challenge but we have the players and we have a good young squad, everyone is hungry for it, we're working as hard as we can and we can't wait to start."

Clark captained Villa's Under-18 side to the Premier Academy League title in 2007-08 and the reserves to the Premier Reserve League title in 2008-09.

He captained the first team for the first time against Stoke City at Villa Park in the 2012-13 season, taking the armband when Gabby Agbonlahor was substituted.

The 23-year-old defender has appeared 75 times for Villa in all competitions and scored six goals, including memorable strikes against Chelsea in January 2011 and against Tottenham in May 2012, as well as a brace against Arsenal in November 2010.

Last season he played 35 times in all competitions for Villa and scored once, a header against Newcastle at St. James' Park.

Born in Harrow to Irish parents, Clark has played six times for Ireland having made his debut against Wales in February 2011.

He scored his first international goal in a friendly against Poland in February 2013, stabbing the ball home following a save from Polish goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

From 1998, the year that the Premier League's Academy system was established, through to the 2010-11 season, some 145 players have come through the Aston Villa Academy.

Of these, 51.7% have played in the Premier League, the Football League or a top league overseas or remained in the Academy.

Some 17.2% have played in the Premier League alone and 26.2% in the Football League or a top European league. In the same period Villa has helped produce 15 full internationals, as well as many more underage internationals.

Aston Villa secured Category One status for our Academy last year following an independent audit of the Club's youth development programmes, which forms part of the Barclays Premier League Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP).

In addition to achieving the highest status of the EPPP, the Aston Villa Academy has also emerged as the No.1 ranked Academy in the country.

think pecking order is 

Vlaar

Okore

Baker 

Clark

Lambert only likes centre halfs with 5 letters, surprised didnt keep Dunne :P

I think the current pecking order (which might very well change between now and the opening game) is Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Okore. On the basis that Okore is a brand new and young signing and therefore the 'junior' player. And Baker only got into the side after Clark was injured. Lambert is a good manager so I believe he will be of the thinking that the place is Clark's to lose. But if we were playing in the Premier League on Saturday I believe he'd start with Vlaar & Clark.

I know its only Wikipedia but Okore has actually played more senior games than Clark in his career  :o

I don't doubt he has. He hasn't had to wait for his turn at a Premier League club. Much like how Clark will get more international caps than better English defenders than him. It depends on the level you're playing your football at. And before you say 'CL football', remember even Sligo Rovers defenders get to play in Europe :)

think pecking order is 

Vlaar

Okore

Baker 

Clark

Lambert only likes centre halfs with 5 letters, surprised didnt keep Dunne :P

I think the current pecking order (which might very well change between now and the opening game) is Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Okore. On the basis that Okore is a brand new and young signing and therefore the 'junior' player. And Baker only got into the side after Clark was injured. Lambert is a good manager so I believe he will be of the thinking that the place is Clark's to lose. But if we were playing in the Premier League on Saturday I believe he'd start with Vlaar & Clark.

Think I'd agree with Zatman - Lambert kept with Baker at the end of the season even when Clark was fit.

I think it'll be tight between Baker and Okore as to who starts

I know its only Wikipedia but Okore has actually played more senior games than Clark in his career  :o

I don't doubt he has. He hasn't had to wait for his turn at a Premier League club. Much like how Clark will get more international caps than better English defenders than him. It depends on the level you're playing your football at. And before you say 'CL football', remember even Sligo Rovers defenders get to play in Europe :)

well true but playing Molde or playing Juventus, Shakhtar and Chelsea are a lot different. Okore also has more international caps in a better national team though

in a better national team though

Now that is arguable. I'd say there's precious little between the sides that you could say they're basically the same. I'd argue we have the edge but; again; not enough in it either way.

in a better national team though

Now that is arguable. I'd say there's precious little between the sides that you could say they're basically the same. I'd argue we have the edge but; again; not enough in it either way.

in terms of talent and results over last few years they are probably ahead of us. Agger, Kjaer and Bjelland are ahead of Okore while Dunne, O'Dea, St.Ledger, McShane and even probably O'Shea is ahead of Clark for Ireland

Â