Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

According to OS he is back in contention for Saturday. Not sure I would put him back though. Last yr he made anichebe look world class because he couldn't handle his strength. Although he has improved a lot this season Lukaku is a better player(than anichebe) and has the strength to match so I would be worried if Clark would cope

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anichebe collected the ball in or near the box and used his strength to push Clark back toward the goal.   Lukaku typically picks the ball up much deeper, often on the break, and uses speed and skill as much as muscle.  I think Baker is more vulnerable to his threats than Clark.

I am gonna say it. He has been our best player so far. Delph and Guzan are close, but Clark has really stepped up and silenced a lot of people. 

that he has and im glad to be one of them people silenced :)

According to OS he is back in contention for Saturday. Not sure I would put him back though. Last yr he made anichebe look world class because he couldn't handle his strength. Although he has improved a lot this season Lukaku is a better player(than anichebe) and has the strength to match so I would be worried if Clark would cope

Last year Clark did a lot of things that he is not doing this year. He has earned his place in the starting 11 and I firmly expect (and hope!) to see him there.

• Like 1

First goal was down to Clark, clearly went to the ball - shite defender!

Oh so he's back to beeing a shite defender again after some very solid and promising preformances this season? He's still young and learning, I'm expecting him to make mistakes every now and then due his young age. That doesn't make him a shit defender though, it makes him a young player who's learning his craft.

First goal was down to Clark, clearly went to the ball - shite defender!

Disagree, Vlaar went up the pitch and left a huge hole behind him yet again, which forced Clark and Baker to sort of rotate to cover for him and got caught.

Watch it again later. Vlaar had to close down attack from our right, Clark was ball watching and left a huge space behind to let lukaku in, Baker should have been tighter but it was down to Clark

He's not good enough as a CB. He's our fourth choice behind Vlaar, Baker and Okore. Makes too many mistakes and his been around the first team for long enough to have learned by now.

At fault for the first goal today.

Edited by benireduk

He's not good enough as a CB. He's our fourth choice behind Vlaar, Baker and Okore. Makes too many mistakes and his been around the first team for long enough to have learned by now.

I don't agree with anything here. If anything he's too careful with his passes forward and easily passes back to Guzan, but I can live with that.

I don't know why he didn't start today. Baker being better against more physical opponents is bull in my mind. And Baker surely wasn't good against Spurs.

Generally I expect next season's CB duo to be Clark - Okore. With Vlaar added every now and then. Baker is the fourth choice.

• Like 1

I don't agree with anything here. If anything he's too careful with his passes forward and easily passes back to Guzan, but I can live with that.

I don't know why he didn't start today. Baker being better against more physical opponents is bull in my mind. And Baker surely wasn't good against Spurs.

Generally I expect next season's CB duo to be Clark - Okore. With Vlaar added every now and then. Baker is the fourth choice.

Vlaar is clearly our best CB at the minute though?

In hindsight, Clark might have been better off filling in at left back for Luna and we should have left Baker to stick to Lukaku. Agree that Clark was at fault for the first goal (as well as Tonev and Bacuna switching off to allow Baines and Pienaar to rampage down the left), but it's the first mistake I've seen him make this season and I'm not willing to write him off again so easily after he's proven me wrong.

Clark at least has some attacking instinct, and he's a much better passer, which is why I think he'd have been better at left back today. Baker should never play left back again, and if he must, out of necessity like today, then he should stay back and defend. He is awful going forward and much much too slow to get back. However, if Baker had stayed in the middle I kind of doubt he'd have left Lukaku wide open for that first goal.

When Okore, Vlaar and Clark are all fit, and when Okore challenges for a first team place, I would like to see Clark move into defensive midfield again. I think with his improved defensive game (today's error notwithstanding) and his ability to pick a decent pass he would be good insurance to sit in front of the back four and allow our other midfielders to get forward more.

• Like 1

Clark being 1st choice worries me massively. He has made costly mistakes and personally I think he's too slow and clumsy to be a decent CB. I think he could be half decent in midfield though.

Baker would star ahead of Clark all day for me. No nonsense defender and you know what you're going to get from him, which you can't say about CC

Vlaar is clearly our best CB at the minute though?

Well, I like to think that both Clark and Vlaar are good enough, and we have very good competition from Baker and Okore when he's healthy again.

So no, not clearly in my opinion.

Â