Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

If Houllier is the best manager we can realistically get then it says more about us as a club than anything else.

Not really, it also shows the current lack of available managerial talent(whether at a club or free agent). How many managers out there would be acceptable for a lot on this forum, you'd probably only get a dozen names of all managers at any club or free agent

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go one step further, of the other PL managers at each club, who would people accept......Fergie, Wenger, Hodgson, Moyes, Ancelotti.....I'm struggling after that to be honest and none of them are coming......shows lack of serious managerial talent in this country

Houllier would be an awful choice in my opinion, i would probablly go for curbishley if i was picking , nothing special but who is thats available? ill support whoever they choose though and not throw my dummy out unlike other so called villa fans

appoint a top manager like Ottmar Hitzfeld would be a signal of intent by the board. we've consolidated top 6 and we want to push on.

but bullshit structures like director of football won't work. and gerrard houllier is an act of desparation.

I'd rather bring in alex mcleish.

appoint a top manager like Ottmar Hitzfeld would be a signal of intent by the board. we've consolidated top 6 and we want to push on.

but bullshit structures like director of football won't work. and gerrard houllier is an act of desparation.

I'd rather bring in alex mcleish.

What if he or any manager currently in work don't want the AV job....Then?

I keep going hot and cold on Houllier for manager, but today I'm warming to the idea again.

I can't see why MON arrived to such fanfare, but Houllier, it seems, will arrive to a feeling of utter disappointment.

Both managers are similar in many ways, but Houllier has won more.

I was thinking about signings each manager has made - MON has signed some absolute dross throughout his years; some of it has been absolutely baffling. At least with Houllier's signings you could kind of see the thinking in them (e.g. a promising youngster, an impressive bunch of displays in a tournament, and/or they were being chased by several top clubs).

Both managers play people out of position. Both don't have a plan B. Both are control freaks. Both play dour, boring football. Both managers arrived having been out of real management for a while.

But Houllier has won more.

Don't know if its been posted but Sven Göran Eriksson has been interviewed by a swedish newspaper, Expressen, and he's told them he is NOT in the running for the job, appears as they are not even interested in his services.

Don't know if its been posted but Sven Göran Eriksson has been interviewed by a swedish newspaper, Expressen, and he's told them he is NOT in the running for the job, appears as they are not even interested in his services.

Yes, there was a story here saying he had been ruled out after his interview became "animated", what ever that might mean.

If Houllier is the best manager we can realistically get then it says more about us as a club than anything else.

Or lack of realistic options and the timing of the departure of the previous manager...

Another day, Ajax don't qualify for CL, we could possibly attract Jol....or O'Neill leaves end of last season, we could go for someone like Hodgson before Liverpool, or bring in Hughes etc...

I doubt I will agree with the club's choice of manager, but I can understand the position they are in.

imo,we should have been going for Sven over the likes of GH.i think the reason we aren't going for Sven is because he'll want to bring in his own back room staff,and Randy wants to give Kev Mac a coaching role of some sort..

I would much rather have Houllier than Sven.

imo,we should have been going for Sven over the likes of GH.i think the reason we aren't going for Sven is because he'll want to bring in his own back room staff,and Randy wants to give Kev Mac a coaching role of some sort..

Or he could have said the wages wasn't enough for someone as money grabbing as himself.

Sven wouldn't even be on my list of people that I would let clean my house...He would ask for more than the 50p I'm currently paying per day.

I would much rather have Houllier than Sven.

atleast with Sven we'd play some good fooball,think back to the football Liverpool played under him ffs,i cant get over that we have come to the point of getting the likes of GH in as our manager,ffs even SHA can appoint a better manager than us..sad times ahead imo.

Not really, it also shows the current lack of available managerial talent(whether at a club or free agent). How many managers out there would be acceptable for a lot on this forum, you'd probably only get a dozen names of all managers at any club or free agent

Yes something else I have seen a lot

"Lack of good managers available currently" and "The trouble for the club is that the pool to pick from is not good currently" etc etc

Can you tell me when was the last time there was a plethora of good quality managers out of work available for free and that would constitute a good pool?

Very rarely

Good managers are normally in a job and it will take paying compensation to get themb

Thank god its not Sven then, he'd be a total disaster.

Can't think why they'd let Steve Staunton near any post at Villa (apart from a coaching role) as his managerial "abilities" have been exposed during his disastrous spell as RoI head coach.

Will Houillier be an interim measure? Perhaps Randy sees some promise in MacDonald. As DOF we'd have access to a great contact base for players allowing cheaper and IMHO better players from abroad. No more overpriced English flops please!