Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see us pick up a good manager in work.

Chindie, I don't agree with a lot of what you've written, but staying on topic - who would you like us to try and get then? (given what you've said there).

Being honest, my mind is blank on that front.

Jol sprung immediately to mind but with Ajax in the CL all his worries there vanished in an instant - his imminent departure to Fulham was less about him wanting to go to London than it was saying to the Ajax board 'Stop pissing about', so even if we would/could/whatever pay the compensation, I'm not sure how much he'd want to come (made worse by, imo, issues with the club itself, re. money).

I'm sure that, outside of the Premier League, there is someone who can do a job here. Be that someone in the lower leagues with promise, or someone abroad who has shown they could cut it. We're going to be taking a risk whatever we do, I'd rather we took a risk on a new quantity than the dross we've limited ourselves to, in part because of risk aversion at only wanting proven Prem men, and partly imo because we just won't pay for them. Even if a lot of these riskier guys wouldn't come, I'd like us to have gone for them, or tried.

I'm really not sure what the names we've been thrown will do for us. Houllier is just... well we could do worse, we could hire Curbishley... but I'm sure theres better out there. But we won't go for them. It seems odd - we're so risk averse we'll, potentially, threaten what we already have. And then you add the fact that all these heavily linked names are out of work.

The club already has chucked MacDonald at us, there's been what, even on here, people referred to as MacDonald propaganda on the OS. That worries me. We shouldn't be promoting a completely unproven, tactically naive man to the job of manager, one that he even doesn't seem that comfortable with. Even with the helping hand over him of a proven man (which I don't like anyway) why are we doing that?

It stinks to me.

But no I can't name many, but that doesn't mean the club shouldn't be fighting tooth and nail to get one, or even deeply consider one, which appears not to have happened.

They've had long enough to do so.

Which is what Julie?

im guessing there no too keen.

I think you may well be right!...

Which may have ALOT to do with having to move on to what's available...and as regards GH I am in dark like everyone else.

Which is what Julie?

im guessing there no too keen.

I think you may well be right!...

Which may have ALOT to do with having to move on to what's available...and as regards GH I am in dark like everyone else.

Funny you say "ALOT" Julie as I've always thought it was grammatically correct until I checked...is it Alot or a lot?.....Sadly it's the latter.

If he gets the managers job, What a bunch of first class ambition less rocket polishers they are,

Its took 3 weeks to find this prick! Fcuking joke.

The same rocket polishers that have pumped more than 100 million into AV.

Don't support them if you're going to call them stupid names for not being able to get the manager they want...I'm sure they wouldn't give a flying f**k if you didn't.

If he gets the managers job, What a bunch of first class ambition less rocket polishers they are,

Its took 3 weeks to find this prick! Fcuking joke.

I think it took 3 weeks because they were exploring and assessing all the realistic options... and I stress the word realistic. I have no doubt they had a look at managers in work but considering the timing of O'Neill leaving, the start of the season and the well known news that we don't have the cash to splash about, it limited us a fair bit. I personally think Houllier is the best we could go for... realistically.

I'm happy with the appointment of Houlier. He was one of the much better names mentioned. Could be really good for us. I don't get why this makes the board ambitionless?

Exactly. He's a better manager than MON, so its a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. And he has superb connections with continental academies so I can see a fair few talented foreigners finally coming this way.

Hmmmm.... On his managerial record he's hardly an astounding failure, I will back whoever comes in... Houllier could well provide a really grand couple of years paving the way for a new manager (who will become available in that time).

Treat the appointment with healthy scepticism by all means - not with outright hate (it's not like we're employing Graeme Souness is it?)