Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but they were only really linking him strongly, Houllier has got the job as far as the papers are concerned it would seem. Not saying it's true, although the fact he refused to comment about us, well that always smells a bit fishy. If there wasn't something going then he would just deny it straight away wouldn't he?

Asshole Still said something similar about Sven, I get the feeling that just like MON resigning there is a confidentiality agreement binding on those that are interviewed

Mr Houlier in England for Carragher's testimonial.

Carragher, enjoying his big day at Anfield, almost let the secret out when asked about Houllier’s imminent return to English football.

‘Yes, I’ve heard that,’ he said. ‘And I am very grateful that he was able to make it for the match today.’

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309072/Gerard-Houllier-leaves-door-open-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz0ybcx5FxI

Mr Houlier in England for Carragher's testimonial.

Carragher, enjoying his big day at Anfield, almost let the secret out when asked about Houllier’s imminent return to English football.

‘Yes, I’ve heard that,’ he said. ‘And I am very grateful that he was able to make it for the match today.’

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309072/Gerard-Houllier-leaves-door-open-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz0ybcx5FxI

If the question as it was most likely asked was "Have you heard about your former manager Gerard Houllier being linked to the Villa vacancy?" then Carraghers answer gives absolutely nothing away and is the correct answer (if such a thing exists)

True, but they were only really linking him strongly, Houllier has got the job as far as the papers are concerned it would seem. Not saying it's true, although the fact he refused to comment about us, well that always smells a bit fishy. If there wasn't something going then he would just deny it straight away wouldn't he?

Asshole Still said something similar about Sven, I get the feeling that just like MON resigning there is a confidentiality agreement binding on those that are interviewed

I would in this case though, the confidentiality agreement aligns with common sense. Keep your gob shut or you won't be considered for this job and no one else will speak to you either if you go running to the press with every piece of gossip you've got as if you're twitchyface. There may be legally binding confidentaility whilst the situation is in the melt, similar to a non-disclosure agreement, but nothing once the appoitnment is made.

NOTW (obviously take with a pinch of salt) that Friedel and Warnock are not very happy if it is to be houllier and will seek showdown talks.

They are reporting it as a player revolt which it quite clearly won't be but thought it was worth posting

Doubt it's true. But there is one thing that is important, and that is Lerner not listening to the players regarding the new manager. And first sign that the players try to take control, he has to take quick action against those who act as troublemakers (sell them or put them in the reserves).

NOTW (obviously take with a pinch of salt) that Friedel and Warnock are not very happy if it is to be houllier and will seek showdown talks.

They are reporting it as a player revolt which it quite clearly won't be but thought it was worth posting

Doubt it's true. But there is one thing that is important, and that is Lerner not listening to the players regarding the new manager. And first sign that the players try to take control, he has to take quick action against those who act as troublemakers (sell them or put them in the reserves).

Heh well we would be pretty screwed if any of our players did have a problem with him if Houllier was appointed. We can't even fill a 25 man quota, can't imagine anyone winning if there is trouble. Houllier and the management would be down 3 players and the 3 players would be fresh outta luck since they probably wouldn't play and they can't transfer now since the window just closed. I like to think even if there was some bad blood that either bygones would be bygones or at least professionalism would take over from both sides.

Probably just the papers trying to stir it a little as they always do, probably think the whole manager situation is going a little stale so they had to twist things.

Just imagine if Houllier is the new boss and his first act is to drop Friedel, Warnock and Carew then play Heskey in Carews place, you think the already dubious fanbase would be happy? I suspect not.

Now of course if its Houllier he wouldn't do that all in one fell swoop, he's not that daft but he may want to and if he wants to he knows he can't and there we have the makings of friction already.

I also suspect that the players concerned aren't having a "players revolt" but they may also have voiced their legitimate concerns to their employer (which sounds rather different doesn't it), you know the "I'd just like to point out that Houliier and us three have history" blah blah "wouldn't like to think you weren't aware of this before you made your decision", " we really don't think we'll get a fair crack of the whip" etc. Which in turn may just put a little pressure on the Houllier / Lerner relationship from the off.

Now I think theres a certain logic that says you can't take the feelings of the players into account but theres also another logic that says you cant ignore the feelings of three key squad members when the transfer window won't be open for another 4 months. Its yet another tricky call for Lerner if this is true

Brad Friedel's old enough to appreciate that that kind of thing happens in football - it was a long time ago. Likewise Warnock - wasnt it Benitez that released him anyway? - I think they're both experienced and level-headed enough to get on with things.

Carew, however, may be a different argument. Wouldnt be surprised at all if this is his last few months with us

I would really like to see Houllier appointed as DOF with Kmac working as a first team coach. He's gotten the reserves playing attractive football in the past, but I just don't think he has the experience to handle a full managerial position. That's where Houllier comes in.

I'm very worried about the reports that Houllier and KMac are being appointed as joint managers. Nearly every papers announce this as fact.

That would be a terrible choice IMO.

Houllier is shit! And he's 63 now, so he's far too old to build a dynasty under.

Houllier would be my last choice. I'd rather have Curbishley or Sven ahead of him.

http://tinyurl.com/35wyvdy - Daily Star

ASTON VILLA have opted for a joint-managerial team of Gerard Houllier and Kevin MacDonald – after missing out on David Moyes.

Everton boss Moyes was the first choice of Villa owner Randy Lerner to replace Martin O’Neill, who walked out on the club on the eve of the new season.

But an informal approach was rejected ten days ago with Moyes making it clear he would not be willing to swap Merseyside for the Midlands.

It was only after that snub that Lerner and his fellow Villa directors decided to interview other candidates for the post.

They now expect to unveil a partnership of ex-Liverpool boss Houllier and MacDonald, who has been at the helm since O’Neill quit, later this week.

Frenchman Houllier, 63 yesterday, will be given the role of general manager – and handed the responsibility of overseeing the development of the club.

That will leave MacDonald free to be a hands-on first-team coach.

Who will have the final say on tactics and team selection has yet to be decided.

The Villa board are keen for that duty to remain with MacDonald, 49, but Houllier is believed to want some involvement in the area too.

Lerner was impressed with the way reserve team coach MacDonald handled a seriously testing situation in the wake of O’Neill’s shock departure.

But while there are no worries regards the ex-Liverpool and Coventry midfielder having the full support of the players, concerns remain over whether he can cope with the constant media spotlight.

That’s why Lerner has come up with the plan for him to work alongside the vastly experienced Houllier.

Despite being sacked by Liverpool in July 2004, Houllier’s reputation has remained intact.

He won back-to-back French league titles with Lyon in 2006 and 2007.

But it is his ability to set up a scouting network across Europe that made him a frontrunner in the Villa managerial race.

Lerner never understood why former boss O’Neill was so reluctant to enter the foreign market, instead preferring to buy more expensive British players.

That would not be a problem with Houllier, though, whose knowledge of the European game, especially in France, is second only to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

MacDonald, meanwhile, is expected to draft in former Villa and Liverpool defender Steve Staunton as his assistant.

MacDonald worked as coach to Staunton during Staunton’s short-lived spell as Republic of Ireland manager.

More of what seems like the inevitable.

I'm very worried about the reports that Houllier and KMac are being appointed as joint managers. Nearly every papers announce this as fact.

Houllier is shit! And he's 63 now, so he's far too old to build a dynasty under.

Houllier would be my last choice. I'd rather have Curbishley or Sven ahead of him.

Amazing ......

Shows how little ambition you have the club if you think either of those can "build a dynasty" whatever that means. After all the pathetic criticism on here I really hope Houllier & KM are appointed and make people eat their words.

Jeez...... curbishley couldn't build a dogs dinner never mind a dynasty!

If Houllier comes it'll be as manager, all this joint manager, DOF is bollocks, it'll just cause more issues! I think Randy should take a look at the farcical interview when Evans and Houllier were joint managers! As for the players, they get paid huge sums of money and will have to give him a chance like us fans! But I'll tell you this, boring football is on it's way to Villa Park, negative tactics!

Amazing ......

Shows how little ambition you have the club if you think either of those can "build a dynasty" whatever that means. After all the pathetic criticism on here I really hope Houllier & KM are appointed and make people eat their words.

Jeez...... curbishley couldn't build a dogs dinner never mind a dynasty!

Houllier wouldn't make us eat our words. He's a poor manager, unless he's appointed DOF just to oversea development of football club or something. Without actually having any say on transfers, team etc...

Got to say I am actually looking forward to Houllier taking over but I really hope he is THE manager with Mcdonald and staunton as assistants and not picking the team. He is given a lot of shit for his time at Liverpool but there was a point around when they won that treble that they genuinely looked most likely to catch man utd. If he can keep us top 6 and win a cup like he did at Liverpool while bringing through the youngsters and introducing some decent continental talent then that will do me for now.