Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier would have clearly impressed the board. They choose who gets the job, and I'm sure they went through a list bigger than any of us can imagine. This afterall, is Randy's club, it's his money, it's his investment.

I think Randy wanted someone with knowledge and contacts in the European market. At Liverpool, Houllier took a few risks with some french youngsters - La Tellec, Bruno Cheyrou and Sinama-Pongolle (amongst others), and this may well help us. He might not be so naive this time round, and understand that culturally, there are players that won't settle in this country or league, regardless of their talent.

I think this could be a good appointment.

Mixed feelings to be honest, mostly opitimistic but some doubts are there. As Charlie Aitken said to me and my mate last sunday, any managerial appointment has it's risks and nothing is guaranteed in football.

Start of a new chapter in the Lerner era, i'm looking forward to it with some excitement.

I'm happy with the appointment of Houlier. He was one of the much better names mentioned. Could be really good for us. I don't get why this makes the board ambitionless?

Exactly. He's a better manager than MON, so its a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. And he has superb connections with continental academies so I can see a fair few talented foreigners finally coming this way.

I don't know about better... different and arguably more successful, but maybe not better.

As for the contacts, that's what I'm really looking forward to in the future when we have some money to spend. It's been a little too long since I've had a name I can't pronounce on the team sheet! Agbonlahor probably being the last but even he was only born just down the road! :lol:

Kind of a middle of the road appointment for me. There were a lot worse candidates, and some better. But I'm happy to give him a chance. Hopefully he will use his knowledge to sign some bargain French youngsters. Welcome Gerard.

If it is to be Houllier, I'll support him, and he's certainly not the worst of any of the names we've gone for it seems (though thats more by virtue of a few of the others being an absolute horror show).

But I'll think it's a rather limp appointment at a time we might have done more.

If he gets the managers job, What a bunch of first class ambition less rocket polishers they are,

Its took 3 weeks to find this prick! Fcuking joke.

I think it took 3 weeks because they were exploring and assessing all the realistic options... and I stress the word realistic. I have no doubt they had a look at managers in work but considering the timing of O'Neill leaving, the start of the season and the well known news that we don't have the cash to splash about, it limited us a fair bit. I personally think Houllier is the best we could go for... realistically.

#AVFC Moyes situation: Villa refused permission to speak with DM by Everton. Moyes won't quit to force the issue. RL admires that loyalty.

11:54 PM Aug 30th via Echofon

http://twitter.com/Villa_Insider

We could have, but the press don't know about the contact between the 2 clubs.

Make of it what you wish.

I'm happy with the appointment of Houlier. He was one of the much better names mentioned. Could be really good for us. I don't get why this makes the board ambitionless?
Ok mate this is a fantastic apointment, gonna add about another 8,000 season ticket holders right? Dont mug yourself off, FFS i would rather take neil warnock or lambert than this clearing in the woods...

Ok mate this is a fantastic apointment, gonna add about another 8,000 season ticket holders right? Dont mug yourself off, FFS i would rather take neil warnock or lambert than this clearing in the woods...

You'd rather have Neil Warnock? Get a grip mate!

Oh God I hope this doesn't mean Phil Thompson will get a job down the Villa. Imagine his big nose on the touch line. :-(

:lol: To be fair, whenever I've watched Soccer Saturday, Thompson has always assessed our problems pretty well. Voicing concerns that we lack a 20 goal striker. At least if he is appointed, he'll be ramming that down Houllier's neck. Everyone, but MON it seemed, realises we need a top drawer striker.

Randy will back Houllier financially, I don't think he would be coming otherwise.