Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep going hot and cold on Houllier for manager, but today I'm warming to the idea again.

I can't see why MON arrived to such fanfare, but Houllier, it seems, will arrive to a feeling of utter disappointment.

Both managers are similar in many ways, but Houllier has won more.

I was thinking about signings each manager has made - MON has signed some absolute dross throughout his years; some of it has been absolutely baffling. At least with Houllier's signings you could kind of see the thinking in them (e.g. a promising youngster, an impressive bunch of displays in a tournament, and/or they were being chased by several top clubs).

Both managers play people out of position. Both don't have a plan B. Both are control freaks. Both play dour, boring football. Both managers arrived having been out of real management for a while.

But Houllier has won more.

Playing dour, boring football is a point in GH's favor, IMO.

We currently have a squad that is built by MON... with the extremely arguable exception of Ireland (not to rehash that debate) and a possible exception of some of the youngsters who stepped up, every player that's come out onto the pitch is out there because they were compatible with what MON wanted to do. That means that they're suited to defensive, counter-attacking, often-long-ball football.

Against utter shit like West Ham, these players can play pretty, attacking, hold-possession football (though the fact that Grant and WHam! came into VP with no earthly idea what was coming from Villa probably didn't hurt) and not get punished. We try to play similarly at Newcastle and get raped with stinging tentacles. We go back to MON-style tactics and get a win over Everton.

If we bring in someone who's not comfortable with that style of football, we're certain to get more embarrassments on levels approaching that of the Newcastle game. It probably means certain relegation, whether or not the new manager is allowed to sell 15 and buy 15 in January.

Houllier is, in a lot of ways, a better MON than MON: he's a MON who has won cups in England besides the League Cup, he's a MON who has won a cup (as a manager) in Europe. He's arguably better at substitutions than MON. At minimum he's a like-for-like swap; it's quite likely he's an upgrade over MON.

David Moyes would be barmy to leave Everton for Villa. Some fans really need to open their eyes to reality.

Villa aren't a small club akin to the likes of Blackburn or Wigan - we're easily as big if not bigger than Everton, so why shouldn't we go out and get a manager from that club if we choose to?

We have to show some ambition in life.

Because he doesn't want to come, ffs.

That could well be true, but in reality you're guessing as much as I am.

It's not true from what I've been told...

However there is the question of morals, principles & deserting one's comrades........... not to mention the current employer's take on matters!!

Forget the morals David, just come!

I don't think we will play dour boring football. Lyon played some decent stuff under GH and we have seen K Mac has a taste for attcking football keeping it mostly on the deck. So I think we won't be playing as much longball/sitting on a 1-0 lead like we did so often under MON. Does anyone have an idea how many games we were winning 1-0 only to be held to a draw in the final stages?

However there is the question of morals, principles & deserting one's comrades........... not to mention the current employer's take on matters!!

Which is what Julie?

im guessing there no too keen.

David Moyes would be barmy to leave Everton for Villa. Some fans really need to open their eyes to reality.

Villa aren't a small club akin to the likes of Blackburn or Wigan - we're easily as big if not bigger than Everton, so why shouldn't we go out and get a manager from that club if we choose to?

forget morals.and jump ship like O'Runner..

Concerning managers currently in a job, looking away from the obvious candidates such as Jol and Moyes, I think McLeish is a manager that we could easily get if we wanted to, and I think he would be a better option than Houllier, although I'm sure many won't agree with me on that.

Looks increasingly certain it will be Houllier and MacDonald though and if it is, they'll certainly get my backing. Let's hope the pair of them can find us a winning formula combining Macca's attacking style with Houllier's focus on defensive stability and a balanced midfield.

Thats footy nowadays mate.

Thats footy nowadays mate.

maybe we should just become a little more ruthless with our appointments eh.that goes for players and managers..i dont think Randy will get to far in the football world by being a mr nice guy all the time..

Have noticed McLeish`s odds have fallen over the last 3 days.

it would be interesting to see peoples opinions on Mcleish. putting aside rivalry, hes done a very good job at blues. especially given the clowns hes had to work under.

as regards houllier, im really undecided. like most people i think id rather someone like moyes or jol. However, are they really gettable? Ajax are in the champs league so im not sure jol would want to leave that. and im not sure Moyes would want to leave everton for us, its not really a step up to be honest.

and are Ajax or Everton really going to let their managers go at this point, the start of a new season, however much money we could offer in compensation?

i dont think theres any other managers in the prem who we could poach, and are good enough to improve us further. There probably are some very good managers abroad who are gettable, but I don't really know enough about managers in other leagues to suggest names.

a tricky situation no doubt, i guess we will have to trust Randy to make the right call

Have noticed McLeish`s odds have fallen over the last 3 days.

it would be interesting to see peoples opinions on Mcleish. putting aside rivalry, hes done a very good job at blues. especially given the clowns hes had to work under.

as regards houllier, im really undecided. like most people i think id rather someone like moyes or jol. However, are they really gettable? Ajax are in the champs league so im not sure jol would want to leave that. and im not sure Moyes would want to leave everton for us, its not really a step up to be honest.

and are Ajax or Everton really going to let their managers go at this point, the start of a new season, however much money we could offer in compensation?

i dont think theres any other managers in the prem who we could poach, and are good enough to improve us further. There probably are some very good managers abroad who are gettable, but I don't really know enough about managers in other leagues to suggest names.

a tricky situation no doubt, i guess we will have to trust Randy to make the right call

Mcleish would be one of my favourites for the job. He's been unreal at Bareminimum to the extent that im actually starting to respect them as a footballing entity. He was also outstanding as Scotland manager.

If Houllier turns out to be our new manager I will of course support him, although I hope we are looking for more than GH currently offers.

He is a fairly nervous individual who tends to reflect his careful character in the football his team plays. Well prepared and well organised but just a little bit fearful when it comes to having a go.

I'm basing my comments on GH 5/6 years ago and he may have changed in the interim. However the fact that he is technical director of football in France at a time that football there is imploding is no real recommendation either.

The fact though that he is currently technical director allows a comparison to be made with Howard Wilkinson who was the FA's technical director until 2002. He returned to the Premiership with Sunderland in 2002/3 and got them relegated in what was an embarassing and disastrous season.