Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

There are some parallels with the Browns' hiring of Mike Holmgren last year. Holmgren's roughly the same age as Houllier and wasn't interested in running training sessions and making the in-game tactical decisions; instead he was hired to oversee the operations of the Browns, including the ability to sack head coach Eric Mangini (which the Cleveland media was baying for but did not materialize).

That sort of approach is different from co-managers or a lot of DoF setups in which a degree of co-equality is assumed. Houllier would essentially be the manager except he wouldn't run training sessions day-to-day nor would he be deciding on substitutions or tactical changes: those tasks would be delegated by Houllier to KM, while Houllier would have overall responsibility for the performance of the team, avoiding some of the finger-pointing that has accompanied DoF setups.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say I am actually looking forward to Houllier taking over but I really hope he is THE manager with Mcdonald and staunton as assistants and not picking the team. He is given a lot of shit for his time at Liverpool but there was a point around when they won that treble that they genuinely looked most likely to catch man utd. If he can keep us top 6 and win a cup like he did at Liverpool while bringing through the youngsters and introducing some decent continental talent then that will do me for now.

This. I would be horrified if KM turned out to be the one picking the team and planning tactics.

interesting, houliers contacts alone would be invaluable..

i would be dead set against curbishly either, as long as it wasnt on a silly long contract and only if that was honestly the best thats out there.

Out of all the names mentioned in order of preference it would be:

Moyes

KMac / Houllier

Klinsman

Curbs

Sven

Kmac on his own

Koeman

Bradley

Southgate

switzerland are at wembley on tuesday so lerner better get his arse to london and interveiw Ottmar Hitzfeld

Switzerland plays England at Basel's St. Jakob Park on Tuesday to begin its qualification for the 2012 European Championship.

This guy ain't the sharpest tool in the toolbox is he?

I see the NOTW are spouting the usual bollox again this morning. I've lost count of how many bullshit stories they have published this summer.

The thing that puts me ill at ease is the effort to crowbar macdonald into the job even though he has no experience and has showed a distinct lack of tactical awareness to the extent of giving him a babysitter in Houllier, almost as if they've tried to shape macdonald into the statements they've made.

Whatever is announced in the coming week, I expect that it'll change in May again.

still all guess work but i would be very disapointed to see Kmac pressured into taking this job. it is very short sighted to move someone from what they excel at into something else, on the off cance they can coninue to be successful without any experience.

he needs to be left at what he is great at, it is no disrespect to the man but being forced up the ladder would mean we would need to be looking for people to replace his old job. and then in 3 months time when he has either decided it was too much for him or we sit 4 points above the relegation zone then he leaves the club. going from manager back to reserve team manager wont work, the players respect for him will have gone in the unsuccesful period where he was team manager. then the last 8 years of great work is all forgotten about and he is out of a job with the reserves and youth all messed aorund.

all hypothetical of course, he may not get the job, if he does he may be succesful and he may not find it too much pressure.

not worth the risk really though is it?

either take sven on a deal lasting till the end of the season and then review so no big payouts. no risk and the stability of the infastructure of the club remains.

or someone on a par with sven.

maybe if england are not doing well cappello will be free by next summer?

what ever we do, we should not be trying to 'force' a square peg into a round hole

Jason Mcateer has just been on SSN talking about Houllier and what the players at Villa would be in for, should he be appointed.

Essentially stating that Houllier's approach is in direct contrast with that of O'Neill's and that he wouldn't be as hands on with the players and perhaps not as approachable as MON. He also said something along the lines of going out onto the football pitch already knowing his team won't be beaten and that they would be told to play offensively.

Interestingly, Houllier's supposed attitude could work well with KMac if he was head coach, as he could be the one that WOULD be hands on and approachable.

I'm sure the structure written about in papers could work and despite being a little bit unsure of it, I don't expect RL to do anything too rash as it may hinder the progress of what is essentially his investment.

Just to put a different spin on things if Houllier is not first choice for Randy you can guarentee he would not of told Houllier this in order to keep him interested.

In the mean time whilst Randy trys to secure his first choice Houllier does not want the silence from Villa park seem like he has not been chosen so a story leaks that his family need convincing. This then covers his back if he does not get the job, he can say it wasnt right for his family and save face.

All these papers are saying its Houllier are only doing so through rumour Houllier getting the job is far from a forgone conclusion IMO.

Could this just be a way of ensuring that our next manager is less of a free entity than MON was?

Since his departure some of the stories that have came about seem to suggest MON chose to pretty much ignore any thoughts coming from the coaching staff bar his two closest allies.

By elevating K-macs position it will ensure any new manager/DOF has to somewhat take into account the thoughts of K-mac and the coaching staff

Whether or not this would work, who knows?