Barry Bannan

villianusa

Watched MOTD.

Bannan had a good free kick from deep which lead to a chance. Made a simple pass to Westwood prior to the first goal. Lovely pass out wide to Sylla (?) who crossed for Weimann's chance.

The skewed backpass incident which lead to Suarez's chance was partly the fault of Sylla who gave Bannan a volley to control from about 5 yards.

According to the commentator, after Weimann and Bannan were subbed Villa lost shape. 

I'd be amazed if Bannan wasn't starting against Stoke.

People might take you seriously if you try to offer a balanced opinion. Defending Bannan on the undefensible only undermines any valid points you may have raised over the last few months.

I like to call a spade a spade and while Bannan was okay against Reading and QPR he was diabolical today and has been on the whole very poor all season. A better midfielder in his position would have seen us very comfortably mid-table. He is our weakest link.

I was at the match - I think he did okay, not great, but not at all bad - he's had worse games and he's had better - he wasn't the worst of our midfield and he gave his all - defensively he was good, his passing was reasonably good and he made one bad error. This thread is surreal - the player can do no right in the minds of some it would seem.

The player can do no right in my mind only when the player didn't do any right. If you have the opinion that he did okay today then fair enough but all I saw was a player who can pass the ball 5 yards to a defender and make numerous unforced individual errors which puts the team under considerable pressure. This isn't a one off event which would be understandable it's pretty much every game. Constantly misplacing passes or doing the "drop the shoulder and spinny thing" which losses possession and invariably puts us under sustained pressure when we least need it.

If Villa want to be out of relegation fights then this is the first player that needs to be replaced. There is nothing to his game other than the odd pass which is not enough to warrant a place in a PL team.

Watched MOTD.

Bannan had a good free kick from deep which lead to a chance. Made a simple pass to Westwood prior to the first goal. Lovely pass out wide to Sylla (?) who crossed for Weimann's chance.

The skewed backpass incident which lead to Suarez's chance was partly the fault of Sylla who gave Bannan a volley to control from about 5 yards.

According to the commentator, after Weimann and Bannan were subbed Villa lost shape. 

I'd be amazed if Bannan wasn't starting against Stoke.

People might take you seriously if you try to offer a balanced opinion. Defending Bannan on the undefensible only undermines any valid points you may have raised over the last few months.

I like to call a spade a spade and while Bannan was okay against Reading and QPR he was diabolical today and has been on the whole very poor all season. A better midfielder in his position would have seen us very comfortably mid-table. He is our weakest link.

I may have missed some conversation or reason why Con is so attached to Bannan, so apologies of he is a friend or relation to Bannan.

I have never understood why we play Bannan, he's just not at this level. On his best days days he scrapes through but on days like this he's a liability and at best ineffective. Once in a while a sweeping pass but aside from that the game just runs by him. Watching the game for the second time, Con's examples above are true but when you see them are nothing more than a few basic passes and if that's it then he should be at best on the bench. No way should he start against Stoke or again unless we have a injury crisis that requires another midfielder.

• Like 1

I don't think Con watches the game. Keeps mentioning MOTD but not actually watching the game. Suppose he just gets the stats and goes from there

I'm starting to think this too or his on a wind up

Also at one point he was caught in possession in our half (which happens alot with him) and he gave it away to them.. luckily nothing came of it.

Did they show that on MOTD Con?

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Bannan earned the right to play. He was no worse than Westwood yesterday or Baker yet he gets the pelters from certain posters.

I agree though next week at stoke play a midfield 3 of Sylla Westwood Delph

Bannan earned the right to play. He was no worse than Westwood yesterday or Baker yet he gets the pelters from certain posters.

I agree though next week at stoke play a midfield 3 of Sylla Westwood Delph

The thing is that Westwood has been one of our better players this season and overall has been pretty consistent. He had a bad game and people have called him on it, but due to how he has performed this season it would be harsh to go on about it.

Bannan has been in and around the team for the past 3 season and is still regularly making bad mistake that put our team under pressure, nor does he offer enough going forward get away with this.

Its not 'certain' posters, CI.........its a LOT of posters! Bannan had a dreadful game and seems to have nurtured a worrying habit of giving the ball away in dangerous areas. He dwells too long on the ball or reacts half a second slower than his opponents to loose balls, then chases the game trying to make amends. And, why he is allowed anywhere near a set-piece is beyond comprehension. 

• Like 1

Something I've noticed lately is he seems to be terrible at receiving simple passes when we don't have the initiative. His anticipation of other people passing to him is poor and his first touch is shit. Partly that's down to confidence, but considering he's a crap player his confidence is roughly around the level it should be. Mostly, I think it's another symptom of the fact that he has zero physicality to his game. He has no chance of shielding the ball, so when receiving it he either has to be in loads of space or else he has to be moving towards the pass to get there well before any challenge arrives. When he fails to anticipate a ball or when his anticipation amounts to a panicky stumble towards it, or a rapey first touch, that's when he turns basic possession into a counter attack for the opposition.

People used to give Stan shit for passing sideways and backwards, but 1) his sideways passing didn't create the problems that Bannan's does and 2) he was actually able to receive the ball under pressure and recycle possession confidently. Bannan can't do **** anything.

• Like 2

I'd agree he deserves abuse for the patented "Bannan Floaty". Surely someone else could take a corner ? Lowton or Bennett?

Even NZogbias corners are shit and usually dont get past the first man.

That is quite possibly the worst analysis of a player I've ever seen.

I can't believe you actually took time writing that. 

Anything to offer other than "DURR SO WRONG"? I mean I know it's patent nonsense... obviously, Bannan is a midfield giant, reads play beautifully and has no problem shrugging players off when he's closed down...

• Like 1

Anything to offer other than "DURR SO WRONG"? I mean I know it's patent nonsense... obviously, Bannan is a midfield giant, reads play beautifully and has no problem shrugging players off when he's closed down...

Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle.... You have heard of grey areas, right? 

Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle.... You have heard of grey areas, right? 

A 'grey area' would be your average midfield workhorse or a fairly decent, unremarkable all round player. Bannan isn't that, for me, he's mediocre at the things he should be good at and just plain bad in several other important areas.

• Like 1

You guys pick on me for using statistics. At least I use real statistics, not guesses, to inform my opinion of the player.

BTW I did watch the game, not just the highlights. Westwood also was dispossessed during the game - twice - Sylla too, three times.

Bannan does not only pass backwards, 64% of the time he passes forwards. In contrast to a more defensive midfielder, Delph only passes forwards 51% of the time, El Ahmadi 55% of the time.

That is a real statistic, not a guess based on my inherent bias, which you can check for yourself here.