Barry Bannan

villianusa

Tick Tock

Counting down the days until his contract runs out and he's no longer at this football club

I really hope we are not relegated as i think we will be stuck with him which will be worse than Relegation itself

People are saying Westwood was just as bad i can count the amount of bad games Westwood has had on 1 hand

if i had to count the amount of bad games Bannan has had however i would need a **** Abacus 

Westwood has just joined us from a league one club and has shown more in the few months that he has been here than Bannan has in the four years that he has been here

The difference between the pair quality wise is Chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned

You guys pick on me for using statistics. At least I use real statistics, not guesses, to inform my opinion of the player.

BTW I did watch the game, not just the highlights. Westwood also was dispossessed during the game - twice - Sylla too, three times.

Bannan does not only pass backwards, 64% of the time he passes forwards. In contrast to a more defensive midfielder, Delph only passes forwards 51% of the time, El Ahmadi 55% of the time.

That is a real statistic, not a guess based on my inherent bias, which you can check for yourself here.

Its also a useless one

Bannan earned the right to play. He was no worse than Westwood yesterday or Baker yet he gets the pelters from certain posters.

I agree though next week at stoke play a midfield 3 of Sylla Westwood Delph

I don't think anyone would deny that. I too agree that his performances against Reading and QPR gave him the right to stay in the team. Similarly just how his performances played him into the team, his performance yesterday was bad enough to take him out of the team IMO.

I too hope that the midfield against Stoke is Sylla, Westwood and Delph. Whilst none of these players yesterday were good they have proven to be more consistent over the course of the season.

Opta have published some stats on crossing.

Most Successful Crosses from open play

article-2303835-1914C183000005DC-719_306

And Highest Percentage of Successful Crosses

article-2303835-1914C1EF000005DC-659_306

It's really strange... but Barry "Best Crosser in the Premier League[1]" Bannan doesn't feature.

Weird.

[1] Con 2013

They must have a filter that excludes Bannan from the list. 

Bannan is still on about 40%.

Edit: the filter is minimum starts. Bannan has 12 starts. The others are about +19 starts.

Edited by Con

To be fair to you, WhoScored does actually back you up. I'd be interested to see (but it's impossible to I would imagine) Opta's raw data.

Anyway, none of this changes my opinion that Bannan isn't very good.

To be fair to you, WhoScored does actually back you up. I'd be interested to see (but it's impossible to I would imagine) Opta's raw data.

Anyway, none of this changes my opinion that Bannan isn't very good.

WhoScored data is based on Opta, and other sources.

Disagree with your opinion on Bannan. Is becoming a top player. Crossing ability - which as notable in comparison to the other top crosses - is just one indication of that.

I'm not engaging in a debate, because you're obviously engrained in your oinion that he's a very good player and I can't be bothered to try and fruitlessly back up my point.

I'll just say that I very much disagree with you. He's not a top player and I'm not convinced he ever will be. Although, as usual, I'll be thrilled if he proves me wrong.

Bannan's one assist this season came from a cross when he was on the left wing side of the penalty box.

When we are chasing the game and dominating possession close to the box we should put Bannan on the wing.

Bennett has put in a few nice crosses but when he gets forward to do so we leave a gap behind which can be exploited if his cross is off target.

Some of the lamenting of young players on this board is just boring and embarrassing. It doesn't remotely help having such a negative attitude towards inexperienced players looking for confidence in order to keep us in the league.

Get behind the team - every one of them. The Champions League winning central midfielder for a manager sees him every day and knows more about what is needed in that position than everybody in this thread put together. I suspect if he didn't have such a large number of people waiting for him to fail at Villa Park every week he'd be more successful in his role.

Get a grip.

• Like 1

Bannan's one assist this season came from a cross when he was on the left wing side of the penalty box.

When we are chasing the game and dominating possession close to the box we should put Bannan on the wing.

Bennett has put in a few nice crosses but when he gets forward to do so we leave a gap behind which can be exploited if his cross is off target.

Tbf when Scotland played Lithuania a few years ago, Bannan was out on the wing and was really top class that game.

Thanks for that. Good video. Lithuania are a large, physical side. Bannan can play against any opposition and as the statistics show, has great passing range.

He needs little defending, except for the fact when we lose he always gets the blame, even when he has nothing to do with any of the goals.

Thanks for that. Good video. Lithuania are a large, physical side. Bannan can play against any opposition and as the statistics show, has great passing range.

He needs little defending, except for the fact when we lose he always gets the blame, even when he has nothing to do with any of the goals.

He's an honest player, attitude ok, generally works hard, and i've nothing against him.

Played well against Reading, and QPR, less so against Liverpool, but not at fault for everything.

Unfortunately he's not decent Premier League standard and never will be, Championship or SPL is more his level.

We have few options in the middle at the moment, and i guess thats why he gets games.

The fans are on his back in home games, and i cant see he has a future here, he's had enough chances.

But he's a symptom not the cause of our recent decline.

Out of interest have you been to any games at Home or Away this season ?

Just a question...

If a winger is trying to cross the ball to a striker who has a good chance of heading the ball at goal, except he misses the cross completely and the ball somehow ends up at the other side of the box to one of our players (but far away from goal and far away from danger) - is that a "successful" cross?

And what about the winger who hits a sublime cross around the stoppers, only for the striker to stumble and miss the ball and open net completely, is that a bad cross in this statistic?

Crossing is about creating dangerous situations, a great cross could be easily tucked away by a stopper if the striker makes a poor run or hides away or whatever.

My opinion is that Barry Bannan is a woeful crosser of the ball, he clearly has a neat touch but in high pace Premier League-games he completely tumbles. I would bet my car on the fact that he is the best in training when it comes to crossing and free-kicks into open nets, but in a PL-game he seldom creates anything at all. Sure he might "hit" one of our players inside the box, but chances are few and far between.