Barry Bannan

villianusa

The idea you can find a statistic to prove anything is a myth.

Lambert is the top crosser among players with more than 19 starts.

Bannan is the top crosser among players with more than 100 crosses.

Neither of those statements are false.

Edited by Con

Please please say he is on the bench today. If he doesn't bring Delph in for this powderpuff for Stoke away then you have to question Lambert's tactics.

(not that i think Sylla is particularly fantastic)

The more combative Delph could come in for Bannan today but after Lambert's comments during midweek about referees unfairly giving our young players cards, not so sure.

Game is going to be reffed by card-happy Clattenberg.

Stoke are going to be fired up. Does Lambert think there could be a red in this clash?

If so he wouldn't play Delph... you'd play the bait for them to get the cards... Bannan or N'Zogbia. 

Either of those two.

Edited by Con

Strange!

My impression is that Bannan always hits a cross to just get rid of the ball, since he is woeful going forward with it. Whipping in crosses, very few resulting in chances or assists. Only two assists to his name this season, kind of tells the story. Only one of those were crosses I think, when Clark scored against Newcastle. Got an assist vs. Reading a few weeks ago, but you can hardly call a stumbled finish in the post an assist. 

I have nothing against Bannan, but he is in my opinion the weakest player we are fielding consistently in the league. The Premier League is no place for him.

You can very easily argue what constitutes a successful cross.

The fact that everytime I see Bannan cross the ball it is totally ineffective, and given that he has crossed the ball over 100 times yet only has 1 assist to his name tells us all that the definition behind what a successful cross is on these stats you keep posting is a load of absolute shit and can not be trusted.

Strange!

My impression is that Bannan always hits a cross to just get rid of the ball, since he is woeful going forward with it. Whipping in crosses, very few resulting in chances or assists. Only two assists to his name this season, kind of tells the story. Only one of those were crosses I think, when Clark scored against Newcastle. Got an assist vs. Reading a few weeks ago, but you can hardly call a stumbled finish in the post an assist. 

I have nothing against Bannan, but he is in my opinion the weakest player we are fielding consistently in the league. The Premier League is no place for him.

Bannan has 1 assist to his name. Fluffing an open goal doesn't constitute an assist.

Matt Jarvis has 170+ crosses this season, 40 successful, and no assists. Bad crossing or bad striking or bad luck?

Edit: Bannan's assist was against Newcastle. A cross from the left side penalty area to Clark.

Edited by Con

The more combative Delph could come in for Bannan today but after Lambert's comments during midweek about referees unfairly giving our young players cards, not so sure.

Game is going to be reffed by card-happy Clattenberg.

Stoke are going to be fired up. Does Lambert think there could be a red in this clash?

If so he wouldn't play Delph... you'd play the bait for them to get the cards... Bannan or N'Zogbia. 

Either of those two.

I hear you. I think Delph has been unfair in a few of his bookings to be honest. Then again, he can be very rash. I just feel he was a plus for us before his suspension. I think CM is where we are really struggling this season. Yes, of course we have defensive frailties, but we get overran every game even with 3 cm playing.

We are not blessed with options in all honesty. Delph could get carded, Bannan shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 and N'Zogbia has had one half decent game in 2 seasons.

If we play Sylla and he gets an booking we can sub him for Delph, and vice-versa.

If we play them both because we want them to be combative and either or both get booked early by being combative, then they're as either neutralised for the rest of the game because they're being less combative, or they're going to get sent off.

Against a team like Stoke, we can't play both Sylla and Delph without high risk of a red. Especially with Clattenberg as the ref (sent Torres off, didn't he?).

Tricky N'Zogbia would be idea, I think. I'd probably play Bannan as well because they have one of the smallest pitches in PL, and set pieces will probably win or lose the game.

If there are any goal at all...

What a dilemna? Delph will be lucky to see out the 90mins in what should be a very physical game......and Bannan will spend all afternoon feeding Robert Huth!

Holman may figure?

Matt Jarvis has 170+ crosses this season, 40 successful, and no assists. Bad crossing or bad striking or bad luck?

Edit: Bannan's assist was against Newcastle. A cross from the left side penalty area to Clark.

Average player, below average team and poor strikers. Jarvis is usually a pretty good crosser of the ball, a bit like Ashley Young when he was at the Villa - when he turns from the left back to the right and swings it in. I have to admit I haven't seen any of West Ham's games  this season, so I don't know why he is not delivering the goods so to speak. Especially as Carroll is up there sneaking around.

The game of crossing (a la Beckham) is a forgotten trade though, I just love it when I see a deep run and a perfectly timed cross for someone to head it in. Not many of those these days.

Didn't realise this existed.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

This is the actual link to the statistics for all players in the PL compiled together.

Move to the tab "Passing" then click "C" for crossing.

Bannan is 4th on their rating system, but if you scroll over you are given the actual number and can work out the percentages. 

I looked at his player dashboard on Fourfourtwo for about 10 games, as expected he played centrally. He often plays diagonal balls into the box, I can only imagine whoscored are deeming these as crosses??? Maybe that's why so little have turned into actual assists, except the one at Newcastle surprise surprise which came from deep. 

Anyway dropped for today. Not on the bench either.