Barry Bannan

villianusa

To be fair Con. They have the same amount of tackles.

You're wrong on this one. Westwood has 19 tackles in 1013 minutes. Bannan has 27 in 1289. That means Bannan has more tackles and is tackling at a slightly higher rate.

Westwood does an average of 2.3 interceptions per game while bannan has 1.3

That's true. 30 vs 27. More interceptions and intercepts passes more frequently.

Westwood is more often in a more defensive position than Bannan because he has the more defensive game, and he is asked to play the more defensive game.

Westwood also have a higher amount of average clearances and blocked shots

He defends further back than Bannan because he plays the more defensive role of the two.

Westwood also have superior successful pass percentage to Bannan's and twice the amount of assists.

Twice the amount. Come on it's 2 assists to 1 - but fewer key passes, which are potential assists.

Bannan delivers a key pass once every 46 minutes, Westwood only every 127 minutes - not even once a game.

Westwood also tends to go for the percentage pass rather than the aggressive one that could result in a chance/dangerous attack for our team.

This just reiterates the point I made earlier that Bannan and Westwood play different games. Saying you would pick Westwood over Bannan is saying you want a more defensive team.

(These stats are the average per game and not per minute played though) I'm not expecting either of them to get many assists, and the difference in the two players offensive and defensive stats just underlines the difference in the role they play in our team.

True.

But aren't you ignoring some of the defensive statics when you state that "Bannan is generally betther in all of them"?

Bannan also gets caught in possession less often than Westwood - once every 117 minutes to Westwood's 101 minutes. Westwood needs to improve that stat because he is in the more defensive role.

Yes, I am primarily emphasising the statistics that apply to Bannan's game, because if we are judging him we should judge him on what he is in the team to do.

At least we can rely on Bannan for all those goals he scores from open play...

He's not going to score many goals other than set pieces or long shots.

He's not a Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard type player who attacks the penalty box to volley or head home.

Would it be great to have the kind of midfielder player who does everything? Yes!

But great ones are hard to find and if you only have a Steven Gerrard's less amazing cousin, a 'great' midfield quarterback like Bannan might be the better option.

Bannan spots weaknesses in the opponent's defence, spreads the play from wing to wing, or down the middle.

If he is not making any key passes, controlling our play choosing the right passes, or the set pieces don't go where they are supposed to then fair enough - he's not doing his job.

I form my opinion by watching the players close up at the games.

Using this I think Bannan is an excellent player who's been held back by our poor run over the past 2 seasons.

As we improve and get better players I think you'll see Bannan improve too.

Con, i understand why you back him now because you've stated all the statistics you have to back up your opinion. But what was your opinion of him and what did you think were his best attributes before finding all of that out? What did you think of him after watching him play and nothing more?

He used stats to back up his opinion, not form it.

i am pretty sure that is exactly what i said?

Thanks for the response Con, and fair play in that case. I really like Bannan and think better players around him will show him to be even better than the potential he's showing at the moment. I just wanted to check as you were posting the same statistics from the same site over and over and i didn't know whether the stats were clouding your judgement of the guy from just watching him.

i am pretty sure that is exactly what i said?

Thanks for the response Con, and fair play in that case. I really like Bannan and think better players around him will show him to be even better than the potential he's showing at the moment. I just wanted to check as you were posting the same statistics from the same site over and over and i didn't know whether the stats were clouding your judgement of the guy from just watching him.

No, just found the website and the stats literally one month ago. It's one of the reasons I made the effort to sign up to this forum, as I had something to add rather than simply my opinion :)

I personally couldn't give a monkeys what the stats say, I will judge players by what I see rather than percentages and Bannan is in my opinion complete and utter crap. I have never ever once seen him control or dominate a game, I can't say a single positive thing about him.

He is just shit he can't even control a game against a 4th division team.

**** useless. Why he plays is beyond me. I will be livid if I spend money to see him come out onto the pitch for us moving forward.

He just looks as though he doesn't give a toss.

Edited by Tayls

Didn't take long for this performance to be blamed on Bannan, did it?

He created 3 clear cut chances in the second half. None of them were scored.

He created chances in the first half from corner kicks.

Just perhaps Bannan is not at fault for this one.

Let's entertain some other possibilities why we lost. Crap defending maybe?

I never want to see this player in an Aston Villa shirt again

Awful player he gives nothing to the team he gives the ball away and does nothing but hollywood balls sailing over our **** players head for 90 minutes

His main attribute is meant to be his set pieces but he's shit at those as well out of about 20 corners he will deliver 1 good one

Not good enough GTFO our football club