Barry Bannan

villianusa

Oh he is consistent, that is the problem.

I agree. I think week in week out he is about the same level and for me that is around a 5 out of 10 and not good enough. I am struggling to think of any game he has played where he really stood out and came close to dominating a game. I actually struggle to think of how you'd describe him. He doesn't create enough chances or score enough goals to be considered an attacking midfielder, he doesn't read the game well enough/intercept the ball/make tackles and then keep the ball to be a holding player and he doesn't have the engine to be a box to box midfielder. You compare him to the lad playing alongside him and Westwood has made a far bigger impact in less than a dozen games and has actually been the stand out player in many of them. Bannan has never had that kind of impact for us and at 23 and having played in almost 70 games for us I doubt he ever will.

Send him back to Blackpool, can play with Delfouneso, he's a Championship player at best.

We have various other options; Lambert's dud looking signing KEA, or the 8m purchase Fabian Delph, or the 65k a week Stephen Ireland. God, this club's been run so well over the last few years hasn't it.

I remember at Walsall last season we were chanting "We all dream of a Barry Bannan team", to the tune of Yellow Submarine...

...On reflection, it would be more of a nightmare

*winky smiley*..

I agree. I think week in week out he is about the same level and for me that is around a 5 out of 10 and not good enough. I am struggling to think of any game he has played where he really stood out and came close to dominating a game. I actually struggle to think of how you'd describe him. He doesn't create enough chances or score enough goals to be considered an attacking midfielder, he doesn't read the game well enough/intercept the ball/make tackles and then keep the ball to be a holding player and he doesn't have the engine to be a box to box midfielder. You compare him to the lad playing alongside him and Westwood has made a far bigger impact in less than half a dozen games and has actually been the stand out player in many of them. Bannan has never had that kind of impact for us and at 23 and having played in almost 70 games for us I doubt he ever will.

I have seen him give us about 2 appearances so far of real quality where id of rated him as an 8 and our best player

But its not good enough for every 8 rated game he has there are about a dozen 4 - 5 rated games where he's ineffective and offers little

Westwood has shown in the short time he's been here that he's streets ahead of Bannan despite having less PL experience

3 man mid of Westwood kea & Ireland

i too like the idea of this central midfield set up (with gabby left and weimann or holman on the right)

ive been a huge critic of bannan a few weeks back which i got stick for on here, but on reflection, i was a little harsh, i would like to think that there is room to improve with him and that he will get better, i do see him more of an attacking mid but he still needs to improve, i wouldnt say hes a starter, but definitely one to come on with 20 minutes or so left for extra energy

At this point, I don't rate him very highly, regardless of who plays around him, but if Lambert continues to pick him, he could do with someone along side him who chastises and praises him constantly through a game whenever each reaction to what he's done is required.

He is 23 and the most experienced player in our team at the moment, he shouldn't need his hand holding to get him through games.

He just isn't any good.

I know what you're saying but I just think he's the type who will always need that type of player along side him.

I think Ireland is the same as Bannan in that respect too.

Petrov used to do it and his presence has been sadly missed in more ways than one.

I don't see him at all as someone who needs his hand held through games - he has physical limitations because of his size, but in terms of how he is on the field of play and the attitude he takes to the game, he's one of our biggest talkers. He's not afraid to give out a bollocking either, he had a right go at Benteke a couple of games back. I think he's a positive influence rather than someone that needs protecting - he might need to grow into it, but in the absence of Vlaar it's Bannan that's doing most to pick up where Petrov left off in my opinion.