Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I really don't understand why he's gone its obvious that villa are club going places - not liverpool

take off your claret and blue specs

I wonder how many points will separate Villa and liverpool next season? In my view, not many.

If we dont get some replacements in and sharpish I would say around 10-15 points and thats not an understatement, liverpool will be better next season, a much more diverse outfit, shame really cos I cant stand them...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand why he's gone its obvious that villa are club going places - not liverpool

That is sarcasm, right?

Yes, I believe it was. While I wouldn't say Villa are going anywhere at the moment (that could change) it's not like Liverpool definitely are either. I remember this time last season when Hodgson was buying loads of players people were hyping up Liverpool just like they are now. It seems like Liverpool merely have to buy a couple of players (doesn't matter who they are) before people start hyping them up.

Beg to differ, let's give credit where it's due - Dalglish in the 2nd half of the season rejuvenated Liverpool and they look to be on the up.

As someone has mentioned, take off the claret-and-blue specs.

I wonder how many points will separate Villa and liverpool next season? In my view, not many.

We'll finish one place above them in the league and we'll get further than them in the League Cup, but not the FA Cup.

I am psychic!!

:idea:

We'll finish one place above them in the league and we'll get further than them in the League Cup, but not the FA Cup.

I am psychic!!

:idea:

I can't tell if people are being serious or not!

I seriously think we'll be around 9th or 10th at best and Liverpool will be 6th. I have no faith any more that next season is going to be a good one. We're still selling players from the looks of things to balance out the wage book despite having gotten rid of ten players at the end of last season and Young, Downing and seemingly now Cuellar, and supposedly all we have to spend is the £20 mill from Downing which looks like it will be spent on 3 players at most! Are people really that optimistic about next season still? If you are I admire you, but I just can't see it myself.

im sorry but thats horseshit - you dont conduct an interview with newspaper (a) saying you are more than happy and you'd sit down and discuss a contract renewall and then give alternative interview to newspaper (B) a paper in the northeast saying the complete polar opposite. It makes you look like a clearing in the woods. Where's his respect? the club signed him on one leg and he said the same - its a disgrace that he has left the way he has and not shown any empathy towards the fans or the club

Still think you're going over the top/being a bit sensitive

He said he was staying, a bigger club come knocking, he wants to leave, most others would do exactly the same. Don't know why it's come as such as a suprise, it's just football these days.

He wants to win things, and at the moment, he's more likely to do that at Liverpool.

I couldn't care less really, we've got good money for him, so aslong as we buy a replacement, we'll be fine. The money generated from the Young/Downing deals may well turn out to a good thing, as it'll allow us to rebuild the midfield, aswell as strengthen other areas.

That is sarcasm, right?

Yes, I believe it was. While I wouldn't say Villa are going anywhere at the moment (that could change) it's not like Liverpool definitely are either. I remember this time last season when Hodgson was buying loads of players people were hyping up Liverpool just like they are now. It seems like Liverpool merely have to buy a couple of players (doesn't matter who they are) before people start hyping them up.

Beg to differ, let's give credit where it's due - Dalglish in the 2nd half of the season rejuvenated Liverpool and they look to be on the up.

Getting Liverpool up from lower-midtable where they were under Hodgson to top 6 is far easier than getting them from top 6 to top 4, which is where everyone for some unknown reason seems to think they're going.

im sorry but thats horseshit - you dont conduct an interview with newspaper (a) saying you are more than happy and you'd sit down and discuss a contract renewall and then give alternative interview to newspaper (B) a paper in the northeast saying the complete polar opposite. It makes you look like a clearing in the woods. Where's his respect? the club signed him on one leg and he said the same - its a disgrace that he has left the way he has and not shown any empathy towards the fans or the club

Still think you're going over the top/being a bit sensitive

He said he was staying, a bigger club come knocking, he wants to leave, most others would do exactly the same. Don't know why it's come as such as a suprise, it's just football these days.

He wants to win things, and at the moment, he's more likely to do that at Liverpool.

I couldn't care less really, we've got good money for him, so aslong as we buy a replacement, we'll be fine. The money generated from the Young/Downing deals may well turn out to a good thing, as it'll allow us to rebuild the midfield, aswell as strengthen other areas.

The way he put in across I guess.

That is sarcasm, right?

Getting Liverpool up from lower-midtable where they were under Hodgson to top 6 is far easier than getting them from top 6 to top 4, which is where everyone for some unknown reason seems to think they're going.

Relative. I'm not saying they are as attractive atm as say, Barcelona. But they are frankly much more attractive to players than we are right now.

For what it's worth I think they will finish 5th.

£20M PLUS Add Ons .......

I'd heard the fee was more than £20M...seems to be lots more rumours now on twitter it was in excess

The fee is not, have never been, nor ever will be more than £20m. It is categorically £18.5m +1.5m in add ons and thats straight from Downings camp and TrentVilla can back up info on this as he knows everything I know. Everything we were told would happened, happened. There's a lot more to it.

So can we please stop listening to idiots on Twitter who want to make themselves feel better by making out the fee was larger than it was.

Jesus.

This lot is a) just childish , B) pathetic , c) total crap.

Downing was our PotY last year - there was a reason for that you know.

His crosses WERE superb , and I would guess he supplied the majority of our goals.

He also scored 9 himself FROM OPEN PLAY ! - not penalties.

If you question the way he has gone about it - fine. But don't try and make out he is crap and we have done Liverpool, because he isn't and we haven't !.

Oh - and I forgot - he also scored our goal of the season this year - when he ran the length of the field AFTER HE TRACKED BACK TO HELP OUT OUR DEFENCE !!!

Our goal of the season was probably Walker against Fulham..... where Petrov gave it to Walker who ran 20 yards up the pitch and smashed it in from 30 yards out, I don't remember Downing scoring any goals that weren't basically far post, save his header against Stoke?

Albrighton scored 7 from open play last year, does that make him worth £20m?

Downing no doubt had an excellent season for us, but exactly that - one good season. Ash was hit and miss, but played 4 and a half seasons for us.

HoltenderITS had it spot on for me.

This lot is a) just childish , B) pathetic , c) total crap.

Downing was our PotY last year - there was a reason for that you know.

His crosses WERE superb , and I would guess he supplied the majority of our goals.

He also scored 9 himself FROM OPEN PLAY ! - not penalties.

If you question the way he has gone about it - fine. But don't try and make out he is crap and we have done Liverpool, because he isn't and we haven't !.

Oh - and I forgot - he also scored our goal of the season this year - when he ran the length of the field AFTER HE TRACKED BACK TO HELP OUT OUR DEFENCE !!!

Our goal of the season was probably Walker against Fulham..... where Petrov gave it to Walker who ran 20 yards up the pitch and smashed it in from 30 yards out, I don't remember Downing scoring any goals that weren't basically far post, save his header against Stoke?

Albrighton scored 7 from open play last year, does that make him worth £20m?

Downing no doubt had an excellent season for us, but exactly that - one good season. Ash was hit and miss, but played 4 and a half seasons for us.

HoltenderITS had it spot on for me.

It is different when Downing has had various good seasons before and is generally a very talented player. This is Albrighton's first season.

Downing was excellent for us, we'll miss him. Still a word removed though.

I hope he gets the same treatment Barry recieved when he came to our place for the first time with his new club.

That day was awesome, Barry was **** from the moment he stepped on the pitch, you could see it in his face, he never expected that much shit from our lot, and to be fair I've never heard us give that much shit to one of our former players before. It totally threw his game resulting in him being dragged off, with our lot ripping it out of him, I loved it.

That's what I want Downing to go through when he returns to our place.

Â