Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll finish one place above them in the league and we'll get further than them in the League Cup, but not the FA Cup.

I am psychic!!

:idea:

I can't tell if people are being serious or not!

I seriously think we'll be around 9th or 10th at best and Liverpool will be 6th. I have no faith any more that next season is going to be a good one. We're still selling players from the looks of things to balance out the wage book despite having gotten rid of ten players at the end of last season and Young, Downing and seemingly now Cuellar, and supposedly all we have to spend is the £20 mill from Downing which looks like it will be spent on 3 players at most! Are people really that optimistic about next season still? If you are I admire you, but I just can't see it myself.

Well, no, I'm not being serious, I'm not an actual psychic :winkold:

I am optimistic, as always, though. If McLeish can sort out the defence and can bring in a few decent signings, I don't see why we can't have a better season, and higher finish, than last year. I see us around the 9th/ 10th mark too, but we could also push for 7th and 8th. We never know how other teams around us will perform/ underperform.

As good as Downing is, he's never seemed more than a consistent performer who keeps the team ticking. He doesn't wow the crowd, he rarely showed the confidence to take on a player, he is VERY one footed and, though not a wingers responsibility, his lack of 50/50 tackles did make us lose possession when a braver individual could have won it.

He's a loss to the team but he's not irreplacable, neither is Ashley Young. They were both good for us but neither were outstanding last season, imo.

N'Zogbia is an able replacement, Albrighton can hopefully step into the 2008-Ashley-Young's shoes, Given can give the defence confidence and prove his worth again and hopefully Parker will be brought in, as an improvement on NRC.

Like I say, I'm optimistic!

The guy is a disgrace, but lets be honest, if we were offered a big hike in wages, would we say no

maybe but i'd also take into consideration what the club has done for me and how they supported me through hard times (i.e his injury) and would look to atleast pay it back by showing some loyalty.. maybe that's just me though.

The guy is a disgrace, but lets be honest, if we were offered a big hike in wages, would we say no

maybe but i'd also take into consideration what the club has done for me and how they supported me through hard times (i.e his injury) and would look to atleast pay it back by showing some loyalty.. maybe that's just me though.

I totally agree with you, think the guy should have given us one more season on an improved contract and then let him go if no improvement in the club. The fact we bought him on one leg should have made a difference, but it didnt. If we can get N'Zogbia in, I think he will be a more than able replacement and want to see Albrighton given a real go again this season.

to be fair if i was downing, i would just tell randy straight, i respect the club for sticking by me but these are going to offer me better money, can you match it. could have atleast negotiatied with the club. he is a knob. im glad he has gone!

we didnt work hard to keep him did we

Personally I wouldn't have paid that much to keep him. If he was on half that at our place, we would have paid him £1m for his first 6 months, for which he did sweet FA!

Glad he's gone. Ungrateful little shit!

I presume he's staying with Andy Carroll atm minute until he finds somewhere to live, might have to have another of those convenient piss stops

Andy Carroll not lodging at Gerrards then? ;)

There are ways to act if your planing on leaving a club, Ashley Young clearly had more respect for the Fans\Club.

Did Young and Downing not pretty much do the same thing? We offered new deals to both, they both refused...the only difference is that Downing handed in a transfer request to push the move through, which I actually find quite commendable (Downing would have forfeited maybe £2m bonus by doing that)

I'm not saying him moving is commendable, but handing in a transfer request and forfeiting a few million £ to get what you want is. Look, we almost doubled our money on him, and his sale gives us a chance to re-build with cash we wouldn't have had otherwise. This move might work out best for everyone concerned in the long term.

There are ways to act if your planing on leaving a club, Ashley Young clearly had more respect for the Fans\Club.

Did Young and Downing not pretty much do the same thing? We offered new deals to both, they both refused...the only difference is that Downing handed in a transfer request to push the move through, which I actually find quite commendable (Downing would have forfeited maybe £2m bonus by doing that)

Good point, I think anyone who expects good footballers to behave differently is missing the point. Football is a job not a hobby, and if they're good enough to attract the top clubs then they would be idiots not to move if offered the opportunity. It may be the only offer they get to maximise the rewards for their considerable ability.

A poor tackle could end it all in the next match, so don't knock players for seeking the best they can for themselves and their families. When you pay £550 for a season ticket you buy into the business of football. Expect footballers to do the same.

Â