Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I;d take 10 milli0on plus Lucas or Kuyt. THe rest i wouldnt touch

Wouldn't want either.

I think £10m + Kuyt for Downing would be an outstanding deal for Villa.

I've never understood why some people don't rate Kuyt. Fantastic work rate, never stops running, no small skill, scores quite regularly whatever position he's playing in, makes things happen by sheer persistence... what more do people want?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't want either.

I've never understood why some people don't rate Kuyt. Fantastic work rate, never stops running, no small skill, scores quite regularly whatever position he's playing in, makes things happen by sheer persistence... what more do people want?

I doubt Liverpool will get rid of Kuyt to be fair

Wouldn't want either.

10m for a workhorse like Kuyt is a hell of a lot of money. Not to mention i can't see where we'd play him

ASTON Villa have told Liverpool to stop wasting their time on Stewart Downing – as Alex McLeish focuses instead on raiding Blues this weekend for his potential new assistant boss Peter Grant.

It has emerged that Kenny Dalglish’s side originally had a £12 million offer for Downing rejected out of hand three weeks ago before returning with an improved £15 million bid on Tuesday.

Villa are insulted by the Anfield giants’ valuations of Downing, particularly the opening gambit which was the amount Villa originally paid for the winger when he was injured two years ago.

A mooted third bid predicted to be around the £18 million mark has not materialised and the claret and blues are keen for Liverpool to now divert their attentions away from the England wideman.

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and McLeish are adamant there is no need or desire to sell the former Middlesbrough favourite who still has two years on his contract despite rejecting a new deal.

Even if Downing attempts to force the issue with a formal transfer request Villa are prepared to stick to their stance and keep him against his wishes, unless Kenny Dalglish returns with an irresistible offer, possibly as high as £25 million.

Birmingham Mail

Doesn't matter how many times you tell the Bindippers "Which part of NO do you NOT understand?" they won't have it!

We should be honoured one of our players is deemed good enough to play on Merseyside and just cave in and act like the selling club we

are supposed to be!!

#deluded

A sensible person would think that a player would be put off if the teams pursuing him were putting in such derisory bids. I would see it as a sign as that club not truly valuing me for what I was worth and if that they REALLY wanted me that bad they could pay the asking price and cut all the bullshit. One thing that will never ever change...Liverpool are scum of the earth and we should never do business with them lot.

If the reported £12m bid is true it's an insult to both Villa and Downing. If i were him and it was true that would really put me off Liverpool.

Wasn't it near identical to their complete under-valuation of Barry?

Whilst Liverpool have the right to bid a tenner if they wish, it won't impress Villa or the player.

ASTON Villa have told Liverpool to stop wasting their time on Stewart Downing – as Alex McLeish focuses instead on raiding Blues this weekend for his potential new assistant boss Peter Grant.

It has emerged that Kenny Dalglish’s side originally had a £12 million offer for Downing rejected out of hand three weeks ago before returning with an improved £15 million bid on Tuesday.

Villa are insulted by the Anfield giants’ valuations of Downing, particularly the opening gambit which was the amount Villa originally paid for the winger when he was injured two years ago.

A mooted third bid predicted to be around the £18 million mark has not materialised and the claret and blues are keen for Liverpool to now divert their attentions away from the England wideman.

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and McLeish are adamant there is no need or desire to sell the former Middlesbrough favourite who still has two years on his contract despite rejecting a new deal.

Even if Downing attempts to force the issue with a formal transfer request Villa are prepared to stick to their stance and keep him against his wishes, unless Kenny Dalglish returns with an irresistible offer, possibly as high as £25 million.

Birmingham Mail

Whilst I know as much as any of us VTers, i.e. **** all, the above is my best guess as to what the club's stance is.

I'm surprised that VTers still think a deal will be done this summer to sell Downing for around £18m. Between establishing a firm stance (we won't sell our best players who still have a large part of their contract left), and knowing that we can still get £12m to £15m next summer, why would they sell for £18m now? It's Barry all over again; get another good year out of the player then cash in if they still won't extend their contract.

I acknowledge that a formal transfer request or an excessive bid (£23m+?) could change Villa's stance this summer. I just don't see either happening.

I can't believe how many people (Villa fans included) don't rate Downing. He was our player of the season last season for good reason, he was superb in almost every game.

I can't believe how many people (Villa fans included) don't rate Downing. He was our player of the season last season for good reason, he was superb in almost every game.

POTY in an awful team.

He certainly wasnt superb in the handful of games I saw him. Quite the opposite. Seemed to miss about a billion 1 on 1s during the season (slight exaggeration).

Dont get me wrong - decent player - but if someones daft enoug to pay 20m + - we have to cash in imo

If Villa would get 25m for Downing, probably could find at least as good replacement for about 15m, but gelling a new player into squad vs. more and less content player is hard to weight. If Downing would be happy to stay, I'd probably keep him since it always takes time to gel new player to the squad.

POTY in an awful team.

He certainly wasnt superb in the handful of games I saw him. Quite the opposite. Seemed to miss about a billion 1 on 1s during the season (slight exaggeration).

Dont get me wrong - decent player - but if someones daft enoug to pay 20m + - we have to cash in imo

The 'team' may have performed poorly but there was plenty of individual talent he was playing with. After seeing Downing play over 20 times he comfortably out performed Ashley Young during most games. AY was sold for around £18m with only one year left on his contract. Why would we sell a player who was better last season and who still has 2 years on his contract for a similar amount?

As a fan, it's not just about the cash. We could get £20m for Downing and not find someone who would be good enough to replace him because they didn't want to join us or didn't 'settle in'. Unless it's more than £20m I would keep Downing for another year knowing he would continue to perform (for his England career) and is currently on £40k per week less than any £15m+ replacement would likely demand. Plus it sends out the right signal - we say how much, we say when.

If Villa would get 25m for Downing, probably could find at least as good replacement for about 15m, but gelling a new player into squad vs. more and less content player is hard to weight. If Downing would be happy to stay, I'd probably keep him since it always takes time to gel new player to the squad.

You read my mind and beat me to it by a minute!

Wouldn't want either.

10m for a workhorse like Kuyt is a hell of a lot of money. Not to mention i can't see where we'd play him

Totally agree and if we proposed that deal to plop they'd snap our hand off.

I still believe Downing will go and if we get the muted 18-20m i'd hazzard a guess that Man Citeh would then snap our hands off if we offered that for Johnson. Johnson is a better player than Downing and has still room to improve.

I still believe Downing will go and if we get the muted 18-20m i'd hazzard a guess that Man Citeh would then snap our hands off if we offered that for Johnson. Johnson is a better player than Downing and has still room to improve.

Do you think Downing will formally request a transfer or that we will buckle at less than £20m? The current indications don't point either way.

Unless citeh start considering future wages to turnover restrictions I don't share your optimism about signing Johnson or that he would readily join us.

Â