The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Man City are the crown jewel for the UAE sports washers. All their Abu Dhabi sponsorship and Etihad is just dumb luck or coincidence eh. 

No coincidence with who sponsors them and their links with the UAE royals - but they aren’t owned by a nation state. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No coincidence with who sponsors them and their links with the UAE royals - but they aren’t owned by a nation state. 

They're owned by the Abu Dhabi United group for development and investment 

Which is owned by a member of the Royal family who also happens to be the deputy prime minister and managed by a government official 

But yep definitely nothing to see there 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Why?

They won 4 out of the last 5 titles. Spent over a billion pounds in that time, including breaking the record for our captain who they used sparingly. They're everything wrong with the game. I'll never understand this sentiment. 

Because I like their manager, I like their squad, I like the way they play football.

Plus, and I can't emphasise enough how important this is, they're not Liverpool FC

Man City are **** horrible, and there's many many clubs I'd rather see win the league than them. But Liverpool isn't one of them

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know his game isn't necessarily about them, but it's interesting that his contemporaries Mason Mount and James Maddison both have about 30 goal contributions this season. Basically a goal or an assist every other game. The most he's ever gotten was 19 I think, last season.

Again it's bizarre that this criticism is used against him by Villa fans

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Especially given this time 2 years ago there were a lot of people on here spitting feathers because Mount was getting selected ahead of villas grealish because he had better stats but we all knew grealish was the better player 

The mount being Southgate's love child stuff was embarrassing 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They're owned by the Abu Dhabi United group for development and investment 

Which is owned by a member of the Royal family who also happens to be the deputy prime minister and managed by a government official 

But yep definitely nothing to see there 

They aren’t - they’re owned by City Football Group of which ADUG are a majority stakeholder.

They aren’t owned by a nation state. 

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We clearly want whats best for Aston Villa. Sick of the status quo. All this happy for him, he deserves it crap is the sort of stuff you expect from your mum or a woman who isnt invested in football taking the view of looking at it from the other side. Im far too tribal for all that. He is literally a glory hunter. No better than a fan that changes who he supports, he basically supports Man City now. 

The only thing I can get on board with is we needed to bring in transfer fees to help set off against FFP, and that £100m did wonders for us in that respect. But I can never accept our best player leaving us whilst we’re on the up to go and help another English club win silverware. They now have eclipsed us for league titles won with that today, so congratulations Jack, you left Villa and in doing so are admitting they arent and wont ever be good enough; killing a lot of hope and dreams of your own people in the process. Go and be a showpony for spoiled entitled Mancs rather than a hero and legend for brummies.

I agree with you 4000%. 

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if he won this trophy he knows deep down he contributed little to it. To not even get on the pitch at all today that deep down must have pissed him off.

He woildnt have enjoyed today as much as play off final. Not a chance 

This @Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This @Stevo985

I'm not sure he contributed little. He played 26 league games. He spent more time on the pitch than Mahrez and Sterling.

Yes he'll be annoyed he didn't play yesterday and yes he'll know he needs to improve

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This seems needlessly pernickety. You are correct that they have invented various arms-length bodies, but fundamentally the people saying they are owned by a nation state are capturing a greater truth about the situation.

It’s not pernickety. They aren’t owned by a nation state. It’s a false statement.

Even if you want to say ADUG operate solely for the benefit of the UAE as a state, they don’t own Manchester City.

Edit: To be clear, there’s obviously a UAE-interest in how Man City do and I imagine a lot of influence comes from their government/royals. But that is different to owning a club.

Edit 2:  Also didn’t realise this was the Grealish thread, apologies :D 

Edited by bobzy

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not really a criticism to be honest, just an observation. It's not even like he's running games like he did for Villa. He pretty much just hugs the touchline and spends most of his time in the attacking third. At some point, you expect your attackers to deliver, and "he does more than just score or assist" doesn't really apply anymore.

When he played for Villa, looking at underlying stats like chances created and xA etc was prudent given that he was supposed to be feeding the likes of Wesley, Samatta, Watkins, Traore, Trezeguet, to name a few. But once you start playing for Man City, the gulf between the 'expected' and 'actual' becomes as small as it is likely ever going to get. "If he wasn't feeding donkeys" or "if he played for a better team" goes out the window. He'll be playing with **** Haaland. There is no better team in the world. This is it.

He's not played as some deep lying player in midfield, he's an attacker, often even used as a striker. His job is to create or score goals in the simplest of terms. Dean Smith recognized this at Villa, which is why he pushed him upfield. That's what made him a £100m player. He had 18 goal contributions in 27 games last season at Villa. It was his best season ever. Yeah he could carry the ball, and has great poise and technique, but crucially, he could deliver the final ball now. In addition to all that other stuff, that made them break the bank.

He's even said all this himself. He spent an entire summer working on this part of his game to be a better player. 2021 Jack Grealish was a much better player than 2018 Jack Grealish aka "The King of the Hockey Assist", precisely because he added actual assists to his game.

When he was at Villa, comparing his output to Mount etc was unfair, but now that they play for clubs of similar quality (being kind to Chelsea here) it becomes a more interesting comparison. Also, every single one of his attacking teammates have at least double his contributions, including Phil Foden who is as close in style to him as you'll get in football. Apart from Silva, they all played roughly the same amount of minutes give or take a game or 2. 

tl:dr: I think he'd be the first to tell you he underperformed this year.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure he contributed little. He played 26 league games. He spent more time on the pitch than Mahrez and Sterling.

Yes he'll be annoyed he didn't play yesterday and yes he'll know he needs to improve

Im inclined to disagree in terma of his stats, assists goals etc. All down from last season. Furthermore i would argue he is playing with a much better side so those should be a lot better than last season

Deep down he will be massively disappointed he didnt play against his former club

It must be bloody great winning a title but you'd have to ask yourself, what did I contribute? Not saying Jack expected anything else when he moved but he's literally a fixture on the bench and not trusted in any match of significance over any other player in the squad. Given the price tag you can only conclude that Citeh regret buying him. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Because I like their manager, I like their squad, I like the way they play football.

Plus, and I can't emphasise enough how important this is, they're not Liverpool FC

Man City are **** horrible, and there's many many clubs I'd rather see win the league than them. But Liverpool isn't one of them

Because they're a little weird about how awesome their history is? All the stuff I mentioned is just way worse to me.

Guess it's a matter of taste, but I like Liverpool's players and manager a lot better personally. If there was a team I wished Villa would be like it would be the current Liverpool team. I find their style a lot more entertaining too.

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And despite being on the pitch for more time he contributed far less in goals and assists than both players. 3 goals and 3 assists is an extremely poor return (especially for £100m player) and he'll have to improve drastically in order not be considered a massive flop.

1 hour ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Either way, soon our league is going to be compared to the French and Scottish leagues as predictable and boring. Who wants to see the same team win it year after year? 

Nobody.  But Manchester United won it 7 times in the first 10 seasons and  also 5 times in Fergies last 7 seasons.  They had a seemingly unbreakable grip on the league title which didn't hold, we are still to see if Manchester City can cope without Guardiola.   Other leagues have had dominance because of a lack of credible opposition and we don't have that in the Premier League yet. 

• Like 1

Â