The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

I asked about this incident in another thread, as I was wondering about it.

Is the concensous then that it was a dive, or not?  Difficult to gauge from the opinions expressed.

There is no course for appeal when it's two yellows to a red in game?

No way was it a dive in the cheating sense. He dives to avoid contact. When watching it in slow motion it looks like a dive (more so, as you can see him move his leg into Lescott, to make sure he got what should have already been a free kick), but when you watch it at normal speed, it's clear that Lescott cuts him up and Grealish can either dive/drastically change his running position or he can simply get clattered by Lescott.

• Like 2

I'm uncomfortable with all this diving out of the way stuff that's creeping into these arguments (as a general point, not just for Grealish)

It's like we're asking for free kicks for things that would have been a foul if they'd been a foul.

Where do you draw the line on that? If a player sidesteps a challenge do you say "well that would have been a foul without that sidestep so that's a free kick"?

• Like 2

I think in situations like this a ref should just award a free kick unless the player is diving to win a penalty.

No ref can make that judgement call 100% of the time

My feeling on this one was Grealish was just moving too fast and the slightest contact would send him flying as he is very lightweight.

I think he's starting to look the part though, but the true test will be when he plays 90mins week in week out.

Diving insinuates no contact... There was contact between Grealish and Lescott on the way to Jack hitting the deck...

Whether that is because Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and hit him accidently OR Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and Jack clipped him on purpose to play for the foul... The fact remains, Jack was impeded from running onwards because of a poorly timed tackle from an opposition player...

We should have had a free kick and Jack should never have been sent off...

On what planet is that not cheating?

On Earth IF Joleon Lescott cleanly tackles the ball and knocks it away instead of missing the ball altogether.

However, on Saturday, on Earth, Lescott didn't get the ball... He committed to a tackle, hit the floor, missed the ball and got the player... He didn't mean to get the player, but he got him nonetheless... He will have to work on his tackling...

That's just nonsense. May aswell outlaw any attempt at tackling if that's case.

Explain your logic. We already have rules for this.

Diving insinuates no contact... There was contact between Grealish and Lescott on the way to Jack hitting the deck...

Whether that is because Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and hit him accidently OR Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and Jack clipped him on purpose to play for the foul... The fact remains, Jack was impeded from running onwards because of a poorly timed tackle from an opposition player...

We should have had a free kick and Jack should never have been sent off...

On what planet is that not cheating?

On Earth IF Joleon Lescott cleanly tackles the ball and knocks it away instead of missing the ball altogether.

However, on Saturday, on Earth, Lescott didn't get the ball... He committed to a tackle, hit the floor, missed the ball and got the player... He didn't mean to get the player, but he got him nonetheless... He will have to work on his tackling...

Just because someone misses a tackle doesnt mean the opposing player has a right to ensure contact and the free kick.

may be just me but i dont see it with the lad

Nor me.

Give him a season or two as a professional before you judge. He already has shown positive signs that there is a footballer in there. He is so allusive and he is not afraid to attack the defenders. Other things like finishing, crossing, etc can be learned over time. He already has some of the attributes that are hard to develop. 

He looks a lot like Hazard when Hazard first became a professional. 

Has shown flashes of quality, also shown flashes of naivity. There's a long road ahead of jack, his attitude will determine where he ends up. I genuinely think he can be a great player, just needs to knuckle down and could do with hitting the gym a bit.

Just because someone misses a tackle doesnt mean the opposing player has a right to ensure contact and the free kick.

I agree. I just wasn't sure how that would lead tot he comment about outlawing tackling altogether. Fouls are already outlawed. So are dives. The poster you are responding to clearly thinks it was a foul. 

I'm with you on the give him time before judging but he has never, or will ever, have the pace that Hazard was born with

No definitely not with that aspect, but Grealish's ability to dribble and draw fouls is very comparable to Hazard. I look forward to seeing what Sherwood can do with him. 

Referees are the main reason players are going down easily.

They don't give fouls unless players drop... so shock, they all fall over the time, and are rewarded with free-kicks.

I'm uncomfortable with all this diving out of the way stuff that's creeping into these arguments (as a general point, not just for Grealish)

It's like we're asking for free kicks for things that would have been a foul if they'd been a foul.

Where do you draw the line on that? If a player sidesteps a challenge do you say "well that would have been a foul without that sidestep so that's a free kick"?

The consensus seems to be that it wasn't a dive (even though I think it was).

But no, you can't appeal two yellows.

But at least a harsh sending off? Guess he has no other option, 2nd bookable offence if the ref believes it to be simulation.

Just a little frustrating as so much worse is let off, you'd have thought with how much time left to go just waiving it on might be an option?

I don't see it either way, it was just a barely coming together of two players, they both ended up on the floor with the ball rolling towards the keeper. Sensible refereeing would have just played on.

Â