The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Is he having a worse season at City then he did at Villa last season despite playing with higher quality players around him… and not missing a third of the season?

Edit - just checked Wiki, he played 27 times for us last season in total… scored 7 and 12 assists.

He has played 28 times for City this season, scored 4 and 3 assists.

For a £100m player that’s a horrific return. 

The truth of the matter is that he was never really a £100 million player. Maybe he was in value to us 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It's just how it is in a top team though isn't it. You'll play wherever the manager sees fit, or not at all.

It’s just weird in City’s case though, I have no issues with them not playing with a centre  forward , but it this nonsense of Gabriel Jesus on the right and Jack central is crazy .

31 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Is he having a worse season at City then he did at Villa last season despite playing with higher quality players around him… and not missing a third of the season?

Edit - just checked Wiki, he played 27 times for us last season in total… scored 7 and 12 assists.

He has played 28 times for City this season, scored 4 and 3 assists.

For a £100m player that’s a horrific return. 

Can't judge it on those stats imo, he was never setting the world alight in goals and assists (which again is like I said mad that pep thinks he can play as the main attacker) 

If you take all those graphs from last year where he was at one point top 5 in europe for things like chances created, carrying the ball, carries in to the opponents area, touches in the opponents area that kind of thing  that's what needs comparing now, I'd guess the carrying stats are way down which would show that peps neutered him 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can't judge it on those stats imo, he was never setting the world alight in goals and assists (which again is like I said mad that pep thinks he can play as the main attacker) 

If you take all those graphs from last year where he was at one point top 5 in europe for things like chances created, carrying the ball, carries in to the opponents area, touches in the opponents area that kind of thing  that's what needs comparing now, I'd guess the carrying stats are way down which would show that peps neutered him 

Those stats would be even worse…. Surely?

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Those stats would be even worse…. Surely?

The drop in those stats yeah you'd have to guess that 

Like I said I think you have to compare the stat that is his game and for me that's carries in to the box, looking at goals is pretty pointless as he was never a goalscorer 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In one year he has gone from being one of the most exciting and talked about players in Europe to an afterthought nobody really cares about 

Its actually quite sad

Probably sad for him because in addition to the trophies and honours, he must have thought his profile would have grown exponentially too. Nobody really talks about him like they did when he was at Villa. They stopped caring.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Probably sad for him because in addition to the trophies and honours, he must have thought his profile would have grown exponentially too. Nobody really talks about him like they did when he was at Villa. They stopped caring.

That was part of the charm wasn’t it, different type of player still at his boyhood club, he broke the mould , probably could have gone down in history as a premier league legend, he threw it all away to be just another player at a top 6 club.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

That was part of the charm wasn’t it, different type of player still at his boyhood club, he broke the mould , probably could have gone down in history as a premier league legend, he threw it all away to be just another player at a top 6 club.

yep his style of play was what made him unique and that has been coached out of him

Pep is coming out with “ will take him a while to fit into the system, etc “ I dunno. I just don’t think it’s going to work out. I don’t think jack has major room for improvement in his ability, probably reached his ceiling. Villa fans know what type of player he is. 

10 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

That, and they wanted to see a traditional big club like ours back on our feet. It had a wonderful story to it. And also a sharp reminder to clubs like Leeds and West Ham. Jack had a lot of good will from other fan bases because that spark of real talent is hard to come by. Now he’s just a cog in a well-oiled machine. The mystique is gone. And him being called up by waistcoat is a reminder of the things we dislike. 

He's still pretty high in the shot creating actions chart... but then he's in a team that creates tens of shots ever half.  To be so high when playing for villa it was impressive because we were overall an average to just below average Premier league team.

He's just an immeasurably less exciting player to watch these days.  Shame, but his bank balance and trophy cabinet will be better off so don't have any sympathy for him. Suspect he doesn't really care either  otherwise he'd never have left. 

Â